Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Transmission Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jabberwocky
Ok about a month ago my transmission got stuck in 4th gear. I got it unstuck by removing the side shift comb and reseting it with a screwdriver. I have done this two times now. I then got a copy of Dr Evil's transmission rebuild video and watched it took my tranmission down and "realigned" my shifter forks following the instructions on the video. I put the transmission back together installed and today It got stuck in 4th again headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif . I obviously did not fix the problem. Is there a trick I am missing on the alignment. is this a different issue other than alignment worn comb ect. or should I be looking for a new transmission . Other than getting stuck in 4th the transmission shifted very well and no grinding in any gears. I do have a tail shift transmission sitting in my garage but dont know if this would be any help. Any help is appreciated.
Richard Casto
When you say it is stuck in 4th gear, I am assuming you are meaning you can't use the lever on the shift console to put it back into neutral. When the shift console is in place, and it's in 4th gear, what happens when you do try to shift it into neutral via the lever on the console? What position is the lever in and how much and in what direction can you move it?

Normally you would expect that when in 4th gear that you can only move it a small bit in the 4th/5th plain (rotate lever) and you would have no (or very little) movement of the lever in/out. Is that the case? I am trying to get a feel for where the disconnect is between the shift console and the rods.

Have you read the supplementary material (pdf file) for the video that you can find here on the forum (in Dr Evil's signature area on his posts). It has good info on shifting issues.
jabberwocky
Richard
The problem is in the actual transmission as you cannot move it out of 4th even getting under the car and shifting by hand on the side shift comb.
But I think i got it this time.

Well I had an extra 4 hours today so I pulled out the transmission stack and realligned it. I mocked up the shifter comb and I could finaly see what was wrong the 4/5 shift slider was to far twards the transmission wall and the comb would catch going into 4th then slip past the notch into no mans land the comb would then try to shift into neutral and 2nd at the same time but due to already being in 4 it was locked in place in 4th.
So i realligned the 4/5 selector mor twards the gear stack using my mock up with the shifter fork and put the gear stack back into the transmission. I first assembled the rear of the transmission with 4 bolts to make sure shifting in and out of all gears by hand was possible. that was a success then buttoned up everything and I am now driving again driving.gif All gears are smooth and shifting in and out of all gears.
Started at 10:30 finished at 1:10 not to shabby.
drove about 20 miles and shifed in and out of 4th many times seems to be good we will see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.