Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alternator light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
My alternator light is now staying on however I am missing 2 fueses.could this be the problem?All my lights work and are not dimming at all but my blinkers quit.
The 2 fuses i am missing are the7th and 8th from the left side of the fuse box.
What are the amps of the differnt color fuses?
Also where is the regulator located?
realred914
QUOTE(tomh @ Aug 13 2010, 10:22 PM) *

My alternator light is now staying on however I am missing 2 fueses.could this be the problem?All my lights work and are not dimming at all but my blinkers quit.

for a 1971 914 fuse 7 is for license plate light
fuse 8 is for wipers, horn, lighter and ventalaiton fan

number 8 is a 25 amp fuse, number 7 is a 8 amp fuse

all fuses are 8 amps excpet for numbers 8 and 12

this is for a 71 car.

white fuses are 8 amps, gernally i forget off hand if red or blue is the 25 amp, but the amp rating should be on the fuse body, usually on the side opposite the filiment. glass cased fuses are also avialable that fit they are not color coded

regulator is on teh realy plate in engine bay just behind the drivers position it should be a silver colored rectangular can.

good luck
tomh
QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 13 2010, 10:28 PM) *

this is for a 71 car.
My car is a 72 is the 25 amp fuse black?
Is that the VR on the relay plate?The silver box and how does

white fuses are 8 amps, gernally i forget off hand if red or blue is the 25 amp, but the amp rating should be on the fuse body, usually on the side opposite the filiment. glass cased fuses are also avialable that fit they are not color coded

regulator is on teh realy plate in engine bay just behind the drivers position it should be a silver colored rectangular can.

good luck

Is the 25 amp fuse black?How does the vr remove from the relay board?
realred914
QUOTE(tomh @ Aug 13 2010, 10:43 PM) *

this is for a 71 car.

good luck

note framilur with black fuses, white red and blue is what i am used to I think red is the 25 amp, but in small print it should be on teh fuse body. different folks make fuses, cont vouch for the color of aftermarket,

the regulator shoudl haev a couple screws on teh side down low that hold it to the realy plate, unscrew and you shoudl have it off, by pulling it up and out.

good luck
tomh
QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 13 2010, 11:00 PM) *

QUOTE(tomh @ Aug 13 2010, 10:43 PM) *

all fuses are 8 amps excpet for numbers 8 an
this is for a 71 car.

good luck

note framilur with black fuses, white red and blue is what i am used to I think red is the 25 amp, but in small print it should be on teh fuse body. different folks make fuses, cont vouch for the color of aftermarket,

the regulator shoudl haev a couple screws on teh side down low that hold it to the realy plate, unscrew and you shoudl have it off, by pulling it up and out.

good luck

Thanks for the info.I read on another forum that if your missing some fuses that could be the cause of the light stayaing on.have you heard this before?
Spoke
QUOTE(tomh @ Aug 14 2010, 02:16 AM) *

could be the cause of the light stayaing on.have you heard this before?

First off, welcome.png

If the GEN light is on then the fuse for the GEN light is ok and there are no other fuses controlling the alternator.

Question: Did the GEN light turn off when running your car before?

Did you change anything?

Is the Alternator belt still attached?

The Voltage Regulator is located on the relay board in the engine compartment.
tomh
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 14 2010, 06:04 AM) *

QUOTE(tomh @ Aug 14 2010, 02:16 AM) *

could be the cause of the light stayaing on.have you heard this before?

First off, welcome.png

If the GEN light is on then the fuse for the GEN light is ok and there are no other fuses controlling the alternator.

Question: Did the GEN light turn off when running your car before?

Did you change anything?

Is the Alternator belt still attached?

The Voltage Regulator is located on the relay board in the engine compartment.

The light was not staying on befor.The 2.0 was just put in 4weeks ago and I only have 100 miles or so on it.I took a few weekends to dial in the FI so now its running killer but this light problem showed up.Can I check the belt tightness and the groud wires from takeing that small piece of tin off above the alt?I will get some new fuses today and start to tackel the problem sunday.Also whats the chanch its the VR?
Spoke
It could be the Alt, the VR, or the belt.

My engine is in pieces so I don't know where you would be able to view the belt. You should see it either on top of the engine or underneath it. You just want to check that is isn't totally loose or broken.

There are some tests that can be done to isolate the VR or the Alternator once you verify the belt is in place.

The ground strap is on the transmission and connects to the bottom of the floor of the trunk. The ground strap would only be a concern, if the ALT seems not to be working AND the starter won't turn fast enough. They both use the same ground strap for a return path to battery so if one is suffering the other will be too.

Also, what voltage do you measure across the battery with engine off, at idle, and revving?
tomh
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 14 2010, 09:02 AM) *

It could be the Alt, the VR, or the belt.

My engine is in pieces so I don't know where you would be able to view the belt. You should see it either on top of the engine or underneath it. You just want to check that is isn't totally loose or broken.

There are some tests that can be done to isolate the VR or the Alternator once you verify the belt is in place.

The ground strap is on the transmission and connects to the bottom of the floor of the trunk. The ground strap would only be a concern, if the ALT seems not to be working AND the starter won't turn fast enough. They both use the same ground strap for a return path to battery so if one is suffering the other will be too.

Also, what voltage do you measure across the battery with engine off, at idle, and revving?

switched VR cleaned ground strap and 2 fuses that fell out.One of those 3 things fixed the problem.By the way how much tension should be on the belt?mine flexes about 1- 1.5 inches
Kirmizi
I'd say that's a bit loose for belt tension, Haynes says .6 in deflection
Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.