Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Random 914 encounter at the gas pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VegasRacer
So last weekend I take Elvira out at sunset for an enjoyable 50 mile loop around Lake Mead. driving.gif
On the way home I stop at 7-11 for a large cola suurpee.
When I come out of the store I see a guy leaning over checking out Elvira closely.
He sees me comming and stands up straight. I notice he is still standing really close to the car. mad.gif

I nod and say 'Howdy' as I approach.

His reply stops me in my tracks. w00t.gif
Instead of the usual 'What year is it?' or 'My cousin/brother had one and we ......

This guy says "I built this car." smash.gif

WTF.gif

Turns out he is the son of the guy who created the car almost 20 yrs ago.
He was 16 at the time and said he spent many hours with his dad at the shop bringing the car to life.
He proudly said he even got to drive her a few times. MDB2.gif
He said the thought the car was destroyed in a fire.
He also told me he had an ablum of photos from his fathers estate.
After almost an hour in the parking lot we agreed to meet this weekend and exchange momentos and talk more.
(He said he wanted one of the original 1 SLIK6 license plates.)

Well . . . smilie_pokal.gif he came over tonight and we talked about Elvira and other car stuff for hours. beerchug.gif

Here are a few of the almost 100 pictures I have been drooling over since my new friend left. piratenanner.gif
VegasRacer
work in progress
VegasRacer
Almost done.

1992 PCA Parade @ San Diego
VegasRacer
Cover Girl
VegasRacer
Centerfold
VegasRacer
Racing in Mexico smilie_flagge24.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I had a some what similer experence. I bought my 914 in 2001, inchecking

the center console tray i found a copy of the restoration done in 1996 in Texas listing labor

and parts usued. The shop that did the works name was on the invoise. So I call

the number. The guy I talked to remember the car, we talked about 1/2 and hr.

all most at the close of the conversation He says " I just ran accross 26 pic. of

that 914's restoration " Would you be interested in them?

My reply was " Hell yes so he sent them all to me".

Then he droped ,that they were closing the shop,we was there that to clean out

a desk before turning the key in the door for the last time.

Take about falling in a shit house, and comming out smelling like a Rose.

Dave slap.gif
qa1142
that is amazing bit to add to your car's history
watsonrx13
Fantastic story .... aktion035.gif

-- Rob
brant
I remember reading that magazine article when it first came out! I didn't realize that was elvira before

very nice chance meeting!
you have really taken great care of that car!

brant
Krieger
Very cool! I still have that issue.
rick 918-S
Wow! Very cool! Do you have a copy of that mag?
Tom_T
That's a GREAT story & a great connection to make on your 914's history! biggrin.gif

In my case, I'd love to track down the original owner from 11/72-12/75 & fill in the 1st 3 yrs. of my 73 914-2L's history, since I'm the 2nd owner.
rjames
Great story, John!! I would be curious to know how you came about owning the car, too. Did you buy it as it is now? Your 914 is easily one of my faves.

RJMII
John, it was great to meet you at Route 66 this year; you going to bring Elvira to RRC also?

That's a pretty cool story on bumping into the guy. I bet you've got more to tell than what's typed up in the couple of posts here.
Sleepin
Awesome! The world gets pretty small sometimes don't it?

See you shortly?
plymouth37
Very cool story, what are the chances!
p.s. The bumper to that purple car in the magazine is probably still in the rafters at Renegade, used to belong to Carl from Carls Place in vegas. In fact now that I look at the pic of your car in tan primer it looks like it was taken in front of Carl's old shop.
zx-niner
That is pretty neat. I did not realize your car was the one in that European Car story. Oddly enough several weeks ago I was going through all my 914 stuff and found and re-read that very article which I ripped out of the magazine and kept. What made it even more personal for me was I moved to Vegas a couple of years after the magazine came out and ended up taking my 914 to Carl's Place and meeting him.
Rod
Fantastic! What a small world!!!
SharonG
That is super cool John and awesome pics. I'd love to see more at RRC in 26 days! beerchug.gif
JRust
Absolutely awesome Jon! On my LE resto I found the original owners name in the book. I gave him a call trying to track down the original motor. He got so excited on the phone when he found out it was still around. Even more so when he found out I was restoring it to it's former glory. I actually can't wait to take it by his house when I'm finished.

Hope to see you & Elvira at Red Rocks aktion035.gif
nsr-jamie
Wow! Thats cool!! I remember and have that issue of the mag somewhere in storage back home. Sweet!!
VegasRacer

The original owner ran the paint and body shop next door to Carl's Place.
(Carl built the motor and other bits for my car)
I am the 3rd owner of the car. The son said he never knew why his dad sold the car.
The 2nd owner was a guy way up in northern Nevada. He ran the car a few times in the Silver State Classis and other open road races. The story I was told was that he scared himself. The car was parked in a warehouse for several years.
I bought the car 6 years ago when he was disposing of assets prior to a divorce.
Elvira is essentially the same as when 1 SLIK6 was created. I have needed / wanted to make very few small changes. Everything was done the right way the first time.

The purple car is now yellow and lives in Colarado.
A very nice husband / wife team campaign the car in the PCA race circiut.
MoveQik
Great story Peterson! beerchug.gif

BTW, in Vegas in September. Giddyup!
Michael N
That is a great story. Nice to have older photos of the car.
effutuo101
That is so cool! very nice pictures too.
tomeric914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 15 2010, 11:45 AM) *

Wow! Very cool! Do you have a copy of that mag?

Here's a place to get a copy if he doesn't

http://oldmags.com/issue/European-Car-February-1992
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.