Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 Heads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
What are a pair of 2.0 liter heads worth? I'm taking apart my engine and will soon have these for sale. Engine sat for 20 years.
ME733
............In my opinion they are worth very little...,...until you strip them down, disassemble them, glass bead them,.analyze them,..and can authoritatively/ factually/ state what condition they are in....I think some people sell grubby/filthy heads BECAUSE they are defective, they know it, ...but it,s...the EXCUSE....that lets them off the hook, "I couldn"t see those cracks!!!!"....Buyer beware....
VaccaRabite
~150 per head in old core condition. Add an extra zero to that number when they are checked and rebuilt and crack free.
JeffBowlsby
The last set I have a record of went for $550. in 2007. These don't show up very often, but as the ecnomy has tanked, I would say the price has dropped some. $300. a set is too low for a decent set that just needs a standard rebuild and not significant other work.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/NLAParts.htm
mepstein
Thanks, It's all good information. These should be in good shape since they only ran 15K before I let the car sit for the last 21 years. Engine ran great the whole time. I think the only other choice for heads is to buy new from HAM for ~ $2,500. I can't imagine there are many NOS floating around. I'll have my local shop bead blast and I'll offer the future buyer a money back guarantee so there shouldn't be any issues that cause ill will.
HAM Inc
I will still work with used 2.0 914 heads on a very limited basis. I have to see photos first.

If another shop has replaced seats I will bump it out. If another shop has welded them, same deal. Detonation damage, or hack work, multitude of severe cracks, etc and I will not touch them. There are not a lot of heads out there that meet that criteria.

Damaged ex stud bosses or dropped valve seats are not a deal killer (as long as none of the other offenses have occured) as those repairs are routine.

For most folks it is better to spend the money once on the new stuff and not worry about reliability.
tracks914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 15 2010, 08:40 AM) *

I can't imagine there are many NOS floating around.

I happen to have one "New in Box" 2.0 head sitting in my basement, valves installed and all. The previous owner bought 2 of them but only needed to change one. I got the other head free with the car. piratenanner.gif
You just can't beat free head.
mepstein
Dropped them off today to get bead blasted and magnafluxed. Then I'll know what I have.
sean_v8_914
cant magnaflux aluminum...its not magnetic
EdwardBlume
IMHO I'd give 'em to Len if he's offering..
mepstein
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Aug 27 2010, 10:49 PM) *

cant magnaflux aluminum...its not magnetic

biggrin.gif Just learned that today. Hopefully the shop will have some other meathod for inspection.
TJB/914
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Aug 15 2010, 12:32 PM) *

I will still work with used 2.0 914 heads on a very limited basis. I have to see photos first.

If another shop has replaced seats I will bump it out. If another shop has welded them, same deal. Detonation damage, or hack work, multitude of severe cracks, etc and I will not touch them. There are not a lot of heads out there that meet that criteria.

Damaged ex stud bosses or dropped valve seats are not a deal killer (as long as none of the other offenses have occured) as those repairs are routine.

For most folks it is better to spend the money once on the new stuff and not worry about reliability.

Ham (Len)

Just wondering??? Are you interested in taking in a pair of 2.0 heads on consignment?? You inspect them, make any repairs or adjustments or scrap them based on your expert knowledge. I am willing to send you my 2.0 liter take-offs since I purchased new heads through Jake & yourself a year ago. My car is running now & I am ready to get rid of my old heads. I trust your judgement and feel comfortable doing it. We would only have to agree on some terms of consignment money if you sell them. It could be a win, win, for 914er's looking for an alternative cost savings. I understand the issue of people sending in junk, but I feel my 2.0 liter heads are good ones, I just don't feel comfortable setting a price on a pair of 2.0 liter heads with my limited knowledge.

Just Wondering popcorn[1].gif Consignment 2.0 Liter Heads. popcorn[1].gif

Tom
mepstein
heads
mepstein
1 looks perfect. 1 has some cracks.
mepstein
shop owner said neither head looked like it had ever been worked on.
mepstein
good one
mepstein
head shot biggrin.gif
mepstein
looked pristine before the greasy hands picked it up. Bead blasted.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 15 2010, 07:24 AM) *

The last set I have a record of went for $550. in 2007. These don't show up very often, but as the ecnomy has tanked, I would say the price has dropped some. $300. a set is too low for a decent set that just needs a standard rebuild and not significant other work.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/NLAParts.htm

Wow, those prices seem high, I guess my 2.0 with SSI heat exchangers are worth more than I thought?!
Jake Raby
Typical... and that crack in the exhaust port is NASTY to repair, especially when it is cracked through the spring seat.

95% of 2 liter heads out there look just like this. Want to find more cracks?? Heat them up to about 250 degrees.
mepstein
I can understand how so many people have been burned buying used heads. Without bead blast and removing the valves, these cracks stay hidden. I plan to put up for sale and see what the market will say. Thanks for all the input. Mark
mepstein
for sale in classifieds
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.