Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 8 dead at an off road race
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
carr914
It always amazes me where people stand to watch off-road & rally races.

It really pisses me off that people were throwing rocks at this driver. Did they think he was trying to go into the crowd?
URY914
I read where they sometimes play "touch the truck".
BMXerror
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 15 2010, 02:41 PM) *

It always amazes me where people stand to watch off-road & rally races.

It really pisses me off that people were throwing rocks at this driver. Did they think he was trying to go into the crowd?

According to an article posted later, witnesses said this never happened. However, I wouldn't put it past the dumbass drunken desert rats that attend offroad races... not all. Not even most, but they're out there. Not the real fans, but the ones who are just there to party.
Crazy shit though. Only ten miles from my house. And you just know the greasy lawyers are gonna get their fingers on this too. ar15.gif I feel bad for the driver. He's gonna have to live with this the rest of his life. I hope he doesn't feel guilty, because he did nothing wrong.
Mark D.
grantsfo
I guess you could look at drivers involvement in a couple ways. You could take approach that driver is allowed to dehumanize people spectating on the race track and take chance that he may kill people if he loses control on a full speed run past them or he could slow down a little in that one section to assure he minimises the chance of hurting people.

See same thing in the Baja 1000 where guys fly into crowds at speed that are mobbing the race track. Is winning a race really more important than somones life? Not in my book.

I wouldnt chose to ever compete in venue where people hang out on the race track. Others are more comfortable with killing people I guess?
underthetire
No offense to anyone, but sometimes nature has a way of eliminating the dumb. I mean, your standing almost on a track, no guard rails, and trucks going past at 100 MPH. I've seen it before. Wouldn't common sense kick in at some point and that little voice in your head tells you this might not end well, maybe I should back up a little? I feel bad for the injured and killed, don't get me wrong there, but you know your in a very unsafe environment. Now the public outcry along with the blood sucking lawyers are going to get off road racing banned in the US now.
carr914
Heres a video clip - you can see people right next to both sides of the road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzsLKuiSzP4
porschecb
God's way of population control.
carr914
QUOTE(porschecb @ Aug 17 2010, 05:57 PM) *

or Darwin Convention
porschecb
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 17 2010, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(porschecb @ Aug 17 2010, 05:57 PM) *

or Darwin Convention

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif popcorn[1].gif stirthepot.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 17 2010, 02:25 PM) *

No offense to anyone, but sometimes nature has a way of eliminating the dumb. I mean, your standing almost on a track, no guard rails, and trucks going past at 100 MPH. I've seen it before. Wouldn't common sense kick in at some point and that little voice in your head tells you this might not end well, maybe I should back up a little? I feel bad for the injured and killed, don't get me wrong there, but you know your in a very unsafe environment. Now the public outcry along with the blood sucking lawyers are going to get off road racing banned in the US now.

No worries just head 100 miles south! I dont think they will ever outlaw stupid there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=713eks6FY94...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcVgpnJWgDI

porschecb
agree.gif
andys
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 17 2010, 07:00 PM) *

No worries just head 100 miles south! I dont think they will ever outlaw stupid there.

Or perhaps like a European rallye event?

Andys
jhadler
My heart is heavy for the families of those killed and hurt.

As for the drivers or organizers of such an event. They -can- decide to stop. If I recall more than one FIA rally was stopped because of spectator safety. Granted, it was because the drivers -couldn't see the track- because the fans were filling the road. Sure, legally they may not be fully culpable, but count on lawsuits bringing that sanctioning body to their knees. Tragically, it's happened to nearly every major racing body at one time or another.

Seeing the video clip, some of the trucks were in fact slowing down.

-Josh2
roadster fan
"No worries just head 100 miles south! I dont think they will ever outlaw stupid there."

You cant legislate stupid. It will always exist. The stupid in this case paid the price. Move on, now the smarter spectators will stand a little further back. The stupid will be right back at the edge "playing" touch the truck.

Natural selection in action. I empathize with the families of those killed and injured as they are the true victims. Accidents happen, and every one killed caused their own death. They were the ones who were negligent.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.