Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor/transmission mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lmcchesney
I will replace the motor/transmission mounts on the rebuild project.
Original 914 motor ounts vs 911 sport motor mounts.
How do you determine if your mounts need replacement when the mounts are out of the car?
Can 911 mounts be used for both motor and transmission mounts?
Thanks,
L. McChesney
SpecialK
The 911 sport mounts are a direct replacement for the stock 914 mounts, and about half the price. I got mine from Pelican Parts (Great bunch of guys to do business with!). As far as the Engine mounts and Tranny mounts being the same...Yep!
SpecialK
How do you determine if your mounts need replacement when the mounts are out of the car?

If they're original equipment (30+ years old), I'd just change all of them while you've got it apart. wink.gif

But then again, that's why my "914 Project" is behind schedule and over budget, I have a hard time reusing the 'old' parts (particularly anything with rubber on/in it) unsure.gif
Dave_Darling
The 73+ cars (side-shift transmission, curvy cast motor mount bar) do not use the same mounts as the transmission mounts. The earlier cars (tail-shift transmissions, square-tubing motor mount bar) do use the same mounts on the engine and transmission.

You can substitute 911 mounts for the 914 transmission mounts, and for the early outboard 914 rubber mounts. But not for the motor mounts on the later cars.

--DD
tat2dphreak
dave, can you clarify? just for my dumb ass?

I have a '72 and right now it has a late style motor bar... the interior motor mounts(that attach to the engine) are the rubber washer screw looking things... but the outside(on the body) look to be the tranny-mount looking pieces? what should the outside(body) pieces look like?
Joe Ricard
my 74 had a home made 1/4" thick steel plate that bolted on top of the body and used the holes to bolt each end. Just use the old rubber mount as a pattern. drill a hole in the center and get a hard long bolt with nylock nut to pass through the center and into the mounting bar. The rubber noise isolators or on the engine case for later cars.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Apr 13 2004, 10:13 AM)
I have a '72 and right now it has a late style motor bar... the interior motor mounts(that attach to the engine) are the rubber washer screw looking things... but the outside(on the body) look to be the tranny-mount looking pieces? what should the outside(body) pieces look like?

They should look a lot like metal U-channel, with large bolts through them. If you use the early rubber outer mounts on a side-shift motor mount bar, the bar usually sags to the point where the rear shift rod hits the bar and you can't get all of your gears...

Does anyone have a pic? Or can they post a screenshot from a parts diagram?

--DD
machina
parts
tat2dphreak
ok, I'll check tonight... it does look to be hanging low... but the shifter seems to work(but still has the tailshifter for now)...

thanks for the info...

Joe, James adams makes a solid(aluminum) and heavy nylon(?)(I think it's harder than rubber but softer than the aluminum) motor mounts...
machina
I just got a set of the adams motor mounts in nylon. The material feels like very hard plastic, doesn't have compliance like rubber or polyurethane.

Can't wait to get them installed.

dr
Brad Roberts
The 911 sport mounts need some *minor* work. The holes are not exactly the same as the 914 tub. They need some clearancing to fit properly.

B
DNHunt
Brad

Could you say some more about that. They just bolted right up to the tranny mounts. Did I miss something. I'm getting ready to do a retorque on all the work I did over the winter

Thanks

Dave
Dave_Darling
Some people have to oval the holes in the ears that hang from the trunk floor. Others don't. I don't know any rhyme or reason for it, though.

--DD
lmcchesney
Synthesisdv, lable the motor mount bar. Mine looks like the upper bar with a hole in the bar. My engine mounts are the rubber washer with an all thread extending from each side of the rubber washer. I can not see how a 911 sport mount, a solid oval metal ring with a rubber center with a center hole, will replace the original mount. Costs of the original rubber washer mounts are $15 at Pap-parts and about the same at the bird site and are for the 73-76 and the mounts for the 70-72 is $86.
I guess the original Tranny mounts can be replaced with the 911 sport mounts for $40.
Is this correct?
Brad, is there an alteration when using the 911 sport mounts for the tranny mounts?
Thanks,
L. McChesney
PS. Admin, it seems I can't add images to my postings now. How? It certainly would help clear up our discussions.
machina
The upper mount is from the later cars, that's the one you have.

You cannot use the 911 mount on that bar. You need to use the adams mounts if you want a firmer sport mount.

The 911 clubsport mounts only fit the early tailshift cars with the flat style mount bar.

The site is:

http://www.jwesteng.com/mount.htm
SirAndy
QUOTE(lmcchesney @ Apr 13 2004, 03:24 PM)
PS. Admin, it seems I can't add images to my postings now. How? It certainly would help clear up our discussions.

what error do you get?
SirAndy
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Apr 13 2004, 01:24 PM)
parts

NOTE that the late style engine bar (the one on TOP in the pic) does NOT use any rubber mounting on the sides that bolt to the BODY.
only the EARLY solid bar does, and those mounts are the SAME as the tranny mounts.

there ARE, however 2 rubber mounts that HOLD the engine to the cross-bar.

do NOT mix-match the two types of assemblies.

did I make myself CLEAR? laugh.gif Andy
SpecialK
As far as the Engine mounts and Tranny mounts being the same...Yep!

Shows what I know! blink.gif
seanery
Images need to be under 300kb and don't preview your post when you attach an image.
lmcchesney
Thanks Guys.
That makes things much more clear.
Synthesisdv, do you believe that the adams mounts are noticebly different? From the picture on the site, there is a rubber/poly portion and a portion that seems to be Al. Do you use both parts or decide if you are going to have an ultra stiff mount vs a softer mount?
Thanks Andy.
Seanery and Andy, I thought we could place small images directly into the post with the limitation size of 300kb. Now when I try to add an image to the post I get the message of what URL to use:(img http:// www. aaaaa.bbbbb/ img.
I do not have a web site of my own. I have been collecting pictures of the projects and have modified them via microsoft paint to generate an image that is typically 10-30kb. Would you please advise me or direct me to an estabilished post regarding the same?
Respectfully,
L. McChesney
seanery
don't use the img tag, use the File attachment browser right above the "submit" button.
the img tag is for those images hosted elsewhere.
SirAndy
QUOTE(lmcchesney @ Apr 13 2004, 06:11 PM)
Would you please advise me or direct me to an estabilished post regarding the same?

when you create a post or reply/quote to an existing post, you have a "Browse" button below your text window, just above the "Add Reply" button.

use the browse button to locate a image on your harddrive.
DO NOT PREVIEW your post after attaching a image as the bbs will loose the image ...

the "IMG" button on top is for linking to pictures on other web-servers ...
Andy
lmcchesney
Thanks Seanery and Andy,
I'll give it a try.
Can you add more than one image per post? Other posts seems as if we have to add another post to have multiple pictures.

L. McChes
seanery
1 attachment only per post. if you see more than one they are using the img tag.
Brett W
If you want the cheap way to do motor mounts for the front. Go down to your local used sporting goods store and pick up two hockey pucks (2$ a piece). Then take a hole saw maybe 1 5/8 diameter or something like that and two fender washers of the same diameter as your rubber peices. Drill a matching hole through the middle and sandwich the rubber plugs between the washers and bolt the whole assembley to the motor and bar. Cheap, solid and you can now lift the motor with out the bar breaking loose.

By the way whiel you are at it epoxy a new bushing into the tranny for the shift rod. That will make a big difference. You may also look at having the tranny end of your shift rod built up by welding and ground back down to the right size.
cgnj
Brett,

I can't believe that it would be easier to get a hockey puck than an oem motor mount in Alabama.

Carlos

Still a rink rat at 47 just a lot slower
Brett W
I live in the "Hockey Capital of the South". One pro team, the Channel Cats and one world renowned college team, UAH Charger Hockey. There are four different rinks here. Supposedly we have a pretty kick ass group of Olympic Russian figure skating coaches here as well. Whadya know were not all that backwards after all. smilie_pokal.gif
swood
I just looked at JAdams site specifically for the motor mounts. Both aluminum and nylon are offered. Does anyone have 1st hand experience with either?
machina
I just got a set of the nylon mounts.

Nicely made and quick service.

I was going to make some up myself but these are just what I had in mind. Probably wouldv'e spent the $20 on materials, etc. anyway.

I was thinking of using urethane so it would have some give but I will try these nylon mounts. suprised how hard the nylon feels.

now if I can get my motor built I will let you know how they feel.

dr
Dave_Darling
BTW, the "hockey puck" mount would be significantly stiffer than stock. The stock mounts do not have a metal connection all the way through--each of the two studs ends at the metal "end plate" of the rubber isolator. The home-brew hockey-puck mount would transmit more vibration and noise into the rest of the car--but would likely keep the engine better located, possibly leading to slightly better shifting.

--DD
Brett W
Dave
The solid tranny mounts made more of a difference in how much vibration was transmitted into the car. It didn't shift to bad except for that 2nd gear synchro. You just have to use a little "finesse". I have another car that I am building now with the solid motor mounts but stock tranny mounts. I couldn't tell any difference.
swood
Will the aluminum mount transfer more vibration than the hard nylon?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.