Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To good to be true story.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NC_Colfax
Ok the other night I was on a salvage site www.car-part.com It is a cool site to search salvage yards that are on the network. So I was searching various Porsche parts and searched 71 911 T Engine. Well one popped up 45 miles away in a salvage yard for $100.00 "core." So I copied the info and called the next day.I called early the next morning and the dude answers. I ask if they still have the 71 911 engine. I was thinking that would be odd in a salvage yard of this type but you never know... he said "yes" So I asked if it was complete or ???. He said he would walk out to the yard and check. He calls back 15 minutes later and said it was complete and in the car. Then I asked "How much for the complete engine....$300.00. SO at very least I knew 300 dollars was a great price for a core/parts engine. He said I could pay over the phone and they would have it pulled. I told him I would perfer to pull it and he responed they did not allow that....so said I would like to inspect and pay in person. My plan was to get them to pull the engine and I would watch and pull other parts for ebay or ???

So they next day I went into work early so I could get off early. Rode about an hour and found the salvage yard. Walked in and asked for my guy and they said he was "out"
I asked about the 911 and they said all the imports were in the very back lot. So I started walking in the 95f heat and sun. Well I started looking once I got to the back lot. Soon I found a complete yellow 1971 914 and a decent 944. Well 15 minutes of back and forth in the import lot and no 911. Well back to the office I go. My man was back then so I asked about the 911 and thold him who I was....he said " you didn't see it..." I said NO and we walked outside. Once outside he told me "well...I know you saw it, it's bright yellow. I said "dude that is a 914 with a 1.7" then this quote shocked me to my core,he said "yeah I know it's entered into the computer system wrong" So I responed "how do you confuse those cars plus call it a 911 T with a 2.2" He said "he didn't know". I didn't thank him for his time or even say "see yeah" I walked to my car and drove back home.

I knew it was to good to be true.....
Tom
Sorry there was no 911 engine but, were there any good parts on the 914?
Tom
NC_Colfax
I plan on making a return trip....
Interior was wet and it had the standard steele wheels.
I will get the VIN and pics next time I'm up that way
jcambo7
And did you get the VIN for the database? agree.gif
736conver
Sometimes car-parts can be bad and some times good. I picked up my 3.2 for dirt cheap off of car-part.com Came with the complete brains and 911 trans, I believe the price was $3500.

Have also scored some nice FUCHS and brembo calipers off the same site. A word to the wise though, if you cant be there in person make sure they have a good return policy or they know exactly what they have before they send it. I once got phone dial rims instead of FUCHS.
bandjoey
Or the boss heard about the call and put the 911 in the barn for a few days. Go back in a week and see what they have. Too bad anyway. sad.gif
MrKona
A couple years ago I was trolling the local Craigslist when I saw an add for "Porsche engine $300." Curious, I called the guy up and asked him what model it was from. He wasn't sure, so I said, "Does it have radiator hoses" to which he replied "Yah."

Me: "Okay, I was just curious if it could be from a 911, thanks for your time."

A few minutes later, my phone rang, and it was the guy.

Guy: I just called a friend of mine, and he said that it's from a 911. I guess those are oil hoses."

Me: "I'm on my way."

Turns out, it was a 2.2 911 engine. The guy was planning on putting it in a dune buggy, but the project never happened. I admitted to the guy that he could get more for it, but he said that he just wanted it gone. It included some beat up Zenith carbs.

I was building my 2.0 four at the time, and the last thing I needed was another core engine taking up garage space. Given 911 rebuild and 914/6 conversion costs, I wouldn't be able to tackle it for years. So I kept my money and told the guy that someone else would be taking it off his hands that day.

I still regret that decision. sad.gif

I do want to build a 911 engine one day, but I figure by the time I'm ready for those costs, I'll bite the bullet and get a 3.0 core from an SC. But it sure would have been nice to get to practice on the 2.2 first...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.