Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need to break falken azenis tires...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
before first autocross? I was at my SCCA meeting last night and a couple of the WRX guys were saying that they were breaking in their Azenis tires. My plan was to just put them on the car and go AXing for the day. Is there a need to break them in? All they were doing is running them on thier cars for 300-500 miles. Your thoughts???

- Garold
nebreitling
i don't know squat, but i've always felt that brand-new tires didn't hold as well as slightly worn-in tires. new tires feel "skiddish" to me, as if the rubber is too hard and won't bite.
seanery
it's called heat-cycling Garold. You basically just get the tires up to temp and then either take them off the car or lift the car for 24 hours. Supposedly this causes a change in molecular structure. This will make them last longer and grip better.
seanery
TireRack's Heat Cycling Page
GaroldShaffer
See you learn something new every day. So whats the best way to do this? How do you know they have been heated up enough? Should I just go for a nice highway drive for a 30min - 1 hour?

- Garold
Andyrew
Its just getting the glaze off the tires.. Just take it for a nice little run.. "try out" the tires.. an hour, or so should be fine.
seanery
Might be worth a phonecall to either Falken or TireRack. Even though they don't sell them (TireRack) I'll bet they would give good advice.
Downunderman
They need to be scrubbed in. A short energetic drive somewhere should do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.