Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installed a HD starter this weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
avidfanjpl
I busted every knuckle I had this weekend, including the toes too.

New exhaust copper gaskets, studs, bolts, muffler nuts/bolts/gaskets.

All new fuel hoses and correct clamps, blasted and painted the injector tubes, hand buffed the rails, all new rubber o rings, new 356 horns, Steve Gaglione traded me minty fogs, (they are working, Steve - bad fuse in my car was the culprit) and then there was this starter I bought last year.

That damn thing is NIB NOS, and must be the HD one I hear about, maybe for a 911L or 6 or something. It outweighs my OEM starter by a considerable margin, but the same size. IS that possible?

ANYWAY - Night and day difference on turnover now. I mean it sounds like nothing I ever heard on a 2.0L in 35 years of owning them.

Why didn't I do this last year? And that damn 17/15M longbolt and nut was a bitcheroo...............deep cuts hugging the trans literally laying on my dolly cart under the car to get the 17MM on and holding. Took almost 40 minutes, and the stinker was the old one came off wires and all in 3 minutes.

I now recommend new starters, the bigger the better.

And all that exhaust work, and I find the Dansk has a rattle in it.

Stuck a coathanger in it after a long drive, and sure enough, some baffle is loose. I thought it was a valve 2 weeks ago. It took longer to make noise today because the SSHE's are so tight now. All 4 leaked till the new studs/gaskets/bolts. They were toasty. OEM I am sure, and 38 years old next week.

Dumping it for a header. I could use a little noise.

John
azbill
I put a 911 starter in my after the 2056 rebuild. The original started could hardly turn the engine over after the rebuild. The compression must have gotten kick up a bit. One of the best things I have done to the little p-car.
jeffdon
QUOTE(azbill @ Aug 15 2010, 08:02 PM) *

I put a 911 starter in my after the 2056 rebuild. The original started could hardly turn the engine over after the rebuild. The compression must have gotten kick up a bit. One of the best things I have done to the little p-car.

My starter was anemic, then i ran a heavy direct ground wire from the bolt inside the engine bay to the neg terminal on the battery. Problem solved.
bfrymire
agree.gif

A while back I posted a thread on installing a high torque starter. Love it every day I start the car.

-- brett
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.