Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where are the engine rebuild threads?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I searched every way I could think of. Couldn't find any type IV build threads. I know I've see a few over the years. I am looking for info on setting the deck height. and cylinder volume for 2.0 heads.

Anyone have a link?

Also, I can't find either of my 914 repair manulas. I need torque specs and tightening sequence for the head studs.
VaccaRabite
D'oh. I tho9ught I would just be able to pull this info up for you, but I am having a hard time finding it too.

Zach
VaccaRabite
The M10 Cylinder head nuts are 23ft/pd.
http://www.tunacan.net/t4/reference/torque.htm

You want a CR of 7.6:1.
I don't know what the CC of the heads are for the 2.0, but my 1.7 heads CCed at 55cc. Of course, each head is different, and you should probably CC them yourself to be sure.

But, using the deck height calc on my iPhone, a quick guess said you wanted a DH of .11 inches.
This assumed no head gasket, 55cc head cavity, and flat pistons. the CR for this combo was 7.62:1 - which would be perfect - so long as your heads are similar to mine and you are not using a head gasket.

If you are using domed pistons and a gasket, everything changes. But you already knew that. I don't know if the stock 2.0 pistons have a dome to them.

Zach
Kirmizi
http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/index01.html
Here's the linky to Van's rebuild.
Mike
Cevan
There's one in my signature.

Van's thread is great. Those time-lapse videos are awesome. I'm still waiting for the final chapter. Van?? poke.gif
rick 918-S
See, I knew I had read some. Just couldn't come up with the right search combo. Thanks guys, keep em coming!

BTW: 2.0 AA euro piston cylinder set, stock injection, I'm not splitting the case.
avidfanjpl
Sort of on topic............Zach, why no gaskets? What do you do that permits the discarding of cylinder gaskets?

I am all ears. I hope to have some time to get ready and relearn all about splitting a case and doing most, not all, the work myself on a 2L

Thanks,

John
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Aug 16 2010, 10:42 AM) *

Sort of on topic............Zach, why no gaskets? What do you do that permits the discarding of cylinder gaskets?

Welcome to 914world Can-of-Worms 35. :-)

In days of yonder lore, VW released a tech paper stating that T4 head gaskets in buses caused head leaks, and should not be used. Instead, the head should be placed directly on the cylinders.

Now, like many of the other 914 Can-of-Worms, different folks take different sides of this issue, and it can become heated between team gasket and team no-gasket.

Basically, you want to make sure that your cylinders are the exact same height, and sit at perfect right angles to the case. And you need to be sure that your case is correct and not warped around the cylinder registers. Some say that as long as you do the prep work, you get a better, longer lasting head seal w/o the gaskets.

Of course, some say that not using head gaskets is the fastest way to an engine killing head leak.

Personally, I did not use them, and it seems to be working out well for me. YMMV.

Zach
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 16 2010, 11:22 AM) *

QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Aug 16 2010, 10:42 AM) *

Welcome to 914world Can-of-Worms 35. :-)

In days of yonder lore, VW released a tech paper stating that T4 head gaskets in buses caused head leaks, and should not be used. Instead, the head should be placed directly on the cylinders.

Now, like many of the other 914 Can-of-Worms, different folks take different sides of this issue, and it can become heated between team gasket and team no-gasket.

Basically, you want to make sure that your cylinders are the exact same height, and sit at perfect right angles to the case. And you need to be sure that your case is correct and not warped around the cylinder registers. Some say that as long as you do the prep work, you get a better, longer lasting head seal w/o the gaskets.

Of course, some say that not using head gaskets is the fastest way to an engine killing head leak.

Personally, I did not use them, and it seems to be working out well for me. YMMV.

Zach

When I pulled the heads this engine had head gaskets that looked to be starting to leak. One of them was actually squeezed into the cylinder and mis-formed. I'll take a pic and post it later.
Sleepin
I couldn't have done it without Tom Wilson: http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Volkswagen-a...s/dp/0895862255

IPB Image
rick 918-S
Here's another question. lets say I use .040 for a deck height for the 2.0 with AA euro pistons. What cylinder head volume should I have to achieve a 9:1.

I think this question is ackbasswords but I just dropped off the heads and won't have the CC numbers til later in the week.

I'm sure I should be asking If my cylinder volume is XYZ what deck height should I use to achieve 9:1... screwy.gif

I have a small window to get this engine back together for RRC so I'm just trying to excellerate the curve a little. confused24.gif biggrin.gif
jsaum
I just purchased the book it should be here today! I looked for other publications on how to hot rod or build type 4 engines but couldn't find any. I'm still contemplating the 1911 engine build.

Jsaum
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 16 2010, 05:48 PM) *

Here's another question. lets say I use .040 for a deck height for the 2.0 with AA euro pistons. What cylinder head volume should I have to achieve a 9:1.

I think this question is ackbasswords but I just dropped off the heads and won't have the CC numbers til later in the week.

I'm sure I should be asking If my cylinder volume is XYZ what deck height should I use to achieve 9:1... screwy.gif

I have a small window to get this engine back together for RRC so I'm just trying to excellerate the curve a little. confused24.gif biggrin.gif

Going to .040 will give you a CR of 8.94:1 assuming you have a head CC of 55CC.
Going to .040 with a head CC of 54cc will give you a CR of 9.07:1.

Again, this is assuming flat pistons and no head gasket.

So, in your admittedly ackbasswords approach, you want your head work to come out at 54 or 55cc. If you have less then 55, you will need to have a little more deck.

But if you set it to .040 and run 9.1 compression, how are you going to run djet? And if you aren't going to run djet, put in a carb cam while you have it all apart.

Zach
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 16 2010, 09:16 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 16 2010, 05:48 PM) *

Going to .040 will give you a CR of 8.94:1 assuming you have a head CC of 55CC.
Going to .040 with a head CC of 54cc will give you a CR of 9.07:1.

Again, this is assuming flat pistons and no head gasket.

So, in your admittedly ackbasswords approach, you want your head work to come out at 54 or 55cc. If you have less then 55, you will need to have a little more deck.

But if you set it to .040 and run 9.1 compression, how are you going to run djet? And if you aren't going to run djet, put in a carb cam while you have it all apart.

Zach

Thanks Zach,

I'm sure you can tell by my questions I haven't messed with a type IV for many years. So your obviously saying 9:1 is too high for D-Jet.

What is the highest compression I can run with D-Jet?

I hope to have the CC for the heads by Wednesday.
SLITS
I don't have my book for the Euro 2.0 CR. That's the starting point ... I don't think a CR of 9.0 or 9.5 would negate the use of the D-Jet. You aren't changing the cam lift or duration so there wouldn't be the reversion waves that would upset the MPS.

To me, it would all be about the quality of gas you want to run combined with the amount of advance the engine would tolerate.

My opinion only.

Jake Raby
I am reassembling the engine for my 912E this week and next.. After 160,000 miles I finally tore it down bacuase the tranny was shot and the drivetrain needed work before winter.

Here is a detailed teardown of a RAT 160K mile engine.
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/index.p...&Itemid=112

I was going to do a build up thread on my forums, more from an enthusiast standpoint since this is an engine for my own car. If you guys want me to copy the thread here I'll do it. This engine is very simple, will make about 140HP and uses a lot of OE parts with 260K miles on them.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 16 2010, 10:16 PM) *

I don't have my book for the Euro 2.0 CR. That's the starting point ... I don't think a CR of 9.0 or 9.5 would negate the use of the D-Jet. You aren't changing the cam lift or duration so there wouldn't be the reversion waves that would upset the MPS.

To me, it would all be about the quality of gas you want to run combined with the amount of advance the engine would tolerate.

My opinion only.

That's what I was thinking. The long duration low lift injection cam should allow the use of a compression bump as long as it's not like 10.5:1 or something crazy. I haven't increased displacement. With premium fuel and a stock advance it should be ok.
Jake Raby
Watch the duration.. duration is MUCH worse than added lift for FI.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 16 2010, 10:53 PM) *

Watch the duration.. duration is MUCH worse than added lift for FI.

Thanks Jake, the engine is a GA 2.0. All I'm doing is replacing the P&C set with an AA euro set and lightly freshing a set of stock heads. No cracks.

I'm not splitting the case or changing the stock cam or lifters. I want to run a little more compression for a slight performance bump. I realize my limitations with the induction and SS exchangers so I'm not expecting an earth shattering improvement. But like any engine there are ways to gain a few ponies without breaking the bank.

Do you think .040 and 55cc heads are ok with D-Jet and pump gas?
76-914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 16 2010, 08:44 PM) *

I am reassembling the engine for my 912E this week and next.. After 160,000 miles I finally tore it down bacuase the tranny was shot and the drivetrain needed work before winter.

Here is a detailed teardown of a RAT 160K mile engine.
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/index.p...&Itemid=112

I was going to do a build up thread on my forums, more from an enthusiast standpoint since this is an engine for my own car. If you guys want me to copy the thread here I'll do it. This engine is very simple, will make about 140HP and uses a lot of OE parts with 260K miles on them.

You post it, I'll read it. (and print it)
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 16 2010, 10:16 PM) *

The euro CR is 8:1.

Everything being the same in my other models, except targeting a CR of 8:1, you would want a deck of .09. The exact CR for that would be 7.95:1. Of course, the CC of the head cavities is still unknown, and could skew everything.

But, Jake and Ron have forgotten more about the T4 that I have ever learned. if they say you can run djet at 9:1 on a stock cam, you probably can. Personally, if I was not changing any internals and not bumping the displacement, I would keep the CR to stock levels, which 8:1 is (for Europe).

Zach
rick 918-S
Thanks again Zach. You have been a great help. I gottsa find my repair manuals. And where did my Rich Johnson book go?.... dry.gif
Sleepin
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 16 2010, 10:04 PM) *

I need to dig up my notes Rick, but I think I am running real close to that with Val's 2056.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 17 2010, 08:30 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 16 2010, 10:04 PM) *

I need to dig up my notes Rick, but I think I am running real close to that with Val's 2056.

Thanks Eric,

I stopped at the machine shop to check the progress. No cracks, tight seats, no stem wear. Only need exhaust guides and a fly cut. You could see where the head gaskets were starting to leak. My chevy guy machine shop is coming through as they did with my 928 heads. The head repair guy at the chevy machine shop is a master with a tig.

Oh, I'm having them cc the heads after the fly cut.
Van
QUOTE(Cevan @ Aug 16 2010, 06:34 AM) *

There's one in my signature.

Van's thread is great. Those time-lapse videos are awesome. I'm still waiting for the final chapter. Van?? poke.gif

Sorry I've been out of the loop for a while... It's been a busy damn summer. But, I've got good news for everyone. I spent labor day weekend prepping the car to get the engine back in! I have my multi gauge in dash, my new wires run along the tunnel, and I have the electromotive ignition module mounted in the engine compartment.

I'm out of town tomorrow, but sunday is the day the engine's going back into the car!! I'll still have some stuff to work on - primarily the throttle linkage. But the end is in sight!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.