Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dual carb air filter housing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
A few years ago, I saw someone make an air filter housing for a dual carbed /4 that was similar to the old air filter housings for a /6. you know, this style:
IPB Image

In my continuing effort to quiet down my ride, I need to reduce the sound of my intake. Also, this would allow me to use a proper paper filter rather then the kinda craptastic K&N filters - which seem to be the only game in town if you are using dual carbs.

Anyone?

Zach
pcar916
I'm not getting but about 1/2 in of that image.
markb
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Aug 16 2010, 10:01 AM) *

agree.gif

You might check into what was used on the 912's that had carbs.
SirAndy
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Aug 16 2010, 10:01 AM) *

agree.gif

Didn't the euro carbed 914s come with a similar air-filter housing???
idea.gif Andy
VaccaRabite
Wierd. the image is hosted over on Pelican. Here is the link to it:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads15/e...e1249241978.jpg

Looks like the script here that claims all hotlinked images is not working properly - or something. I dunno.
Anyway, I remember that someone here built a box out of fiberglass for the 914. I'd love to find the link to it, since I could not find it using the search feature.

Zach
Cevan
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 16 2010, 01:20 PM) *

Wierd. the image is hosted over on Pelican. Here is the link to it:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads15/e...e1249241978.jpg

Looks like the script here that claims all hotlinked images is not working properly - or something. I dunno.

Zach

Why not just put that motor in? Problem solved. biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
Somehting like this:
IPB Image
But the guy had made an all FG box instead that was less massive.

Zach
dlee6204
For smaller single stack carbs... (This car was on ebay a while back)

Click to view attachment

Here is another angle from a picture I found. I think they were on some VW buses and carb'd euro 914s. I could be wrong though. I'm sure a simliar setup could me modified for use with 40s and 44s. idea.gif

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Huh. I wonder if I could use these (7617 and 7618) over my existing air filters and just point the "horn" backwards.

IPB Image

Does anyone know if these are designed to go over the air filters, or if they require the filters to be relocated. Enclosing the system should cut down on intake noise, right? or am I just sitting here sniffing glue?

Or maybe put them point forwards and attach them to an airbox that was attached to the firewall. Hrm. That could actually work.

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 16 2010, 10:20 AM) *
Wierd. the image is hosted over on Pelican.

Fixed it for 'ya ...

biggrin.gif Andy
Drums66
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Aug 16 2010, 10:59 AM) *

For smaller single stack carbs... (This car was on ebay a while back)

Click to view attachment

Here is another angle from a picture I found. I think they were on some VW buses and carb'd euro 914s. I could be wrong though. I'm sure a simliar setup could me modified for use with 40s and 44s. idea.gif

Click to view attachment

,,that 4 is a GC case bye1.gif
veltror
There are a number of GErman suppliers that do this give me a few hours and I will come up with some links... weber or dellorto?
jmill
Those are meant for turbo'd webers. I've seen the filter placed at the intake to the turbo not over the carb. You could use them and just use a Y tube and filter. Same craptastic K&N though.
veltror
http://www.udobeckertuning.de/picsparts/lufi.jpg

veltror
The red one pictured is from Klaus tuning pretty good product but also look at this towards the end of the page, this is what i would do if I went Carbs...

Luftfilter

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(veltror @ Aug 16 2010, 12:37 PM) *
this is what i would do if I went Carbs...

idea.gif

IPB Image
tomeric914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 16 2010, 03:42 PM) *

idea.gif

IPB Image

BTDT. That setup was going for something like $1200 about 10 years ago. Nice looking but expensive.

Volks Authority in San Jose carried them but I think that shop went out of business. They imported them from CSP. They have a few different setups to choose from but they start at 728 Euros

http://www.csp-shop.de/cgi-bin/cshop2/fron...sort=0&all=

IPB Image

I made my own setup for my Baja with a centrifugal air cleaner setup. You could probably use all of the pieces except the centrif filter and put a K&N filter on it. Here's a pic found elsewhere in this forum of my setup.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1170158

Just the pair of aluminum pieces that go in the CB filter setup cost $200 to have made up. The rest of the boots and pipe were another $80. PM me if those will work for you.

veltror
The GWD system is is either 646 euro or 780 Euro...
Root_Werks
Zach, I went through all of this a while back, researched the hilt out of everything. If you want to spend the bucks, you can get that kit listed in the link above. Although it's designed for a T-4 in a T-1 body, not a 914.

If you want, I have the early 912 aircleaner housing and new elements. The pass side fits, but the drivers would need to be modified as the cyl's sit about an inch too far forward.

I even have the adapter plates from solex to weber base's.
VaccaRabite
Here is my idea.
Click to view attachment

I'll take a modern airbox that used a regular rectangular air filter. it will be mounted tot he firewall. a 4 inch tube will go to the pass side wheel well, drawing cool air from there.

two 3 inch holes on the filtered side. Flex hose will link them to some carb tops with three inch inlets. Since all the filtration is done in the air box, the only purpose of the carb hats will be to feed cool clean air into the carbs.

I figure I can use my existing bases and tops. Where the filters go could be layed up in fiberglass.

With this configuration I should not impact any of the other function in my engine bay. The flex tube will give me vibration and movement since the engine will be floating on the mounts, and the air box won't.

This should give me plenty of air to breathe and really quiet down my carbs. Right?

Let me know if anyone sees a flaw in this.

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 16 2010, 07:07 PM) *

The two foremost cylinders will get all the air ... popcorn[1].gif
IronHillRestorations
I'd think that to optimize it you'd want to match cfms.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 16 2010, 03:39 PM) *

If you want, I have the early 912 aircleaner housing and new elements. The pass side fits, but the drivers would need to be modified as the cyl's sit about an inch too far forward.

Maybe this is a better option. Do these flow enough air, or are they restrictive?
Zach
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 16 2010, 07:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 16 2010, 03:39 PM) *

Maybe this is a better option. Do these flow enough air, or are they restrictive?
Zach

Oh they have the room for the CFM for sure. The only downsides are:

Drivers side needs mod or else it bumps into the firewall just a little bit.

You cannot use stacks, just not the way the factory set them up.

I won't use them, you want them to just fart around with, let me know. Just cover shipping and the PITA it'll be to box them and they are yours. New filter elements and $100 adapters I bought.

Might as well give someone else a crack at them? confused24.gif
bam914
You could use these. Might not fit do to the height.

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(bam914 @ Aug 17 2010, 07:23 AM) *

You could use these. Might not fit do to the height.

Click to view attachment

Blake, is this something you you guys stock?

Zach
bam914
No. I just saw them when I was looking at doing something similar to what you are wanting to do.
tomeric914
These have 3" inlets but require the CB filter tops and bottoms.

IPB Image
Zundfolge
I wonder if one could simply modify the 911 one to work on a 4cyl car.

Maybe just need to modify the basees that fit on the carbs (maybe plug one hole on each base)?

Dunno if they're close enough to the same length to work though.
ldsgeek
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 16 2010, 06:07 PM) *

Here is my idea.
Click to view attachment

I'll take a modern airbox that used a regular rectangular air filter. it will be mounted tot he firewall. a 4 inch tube will go to the pass side wheel well, drawing cool air from there.

two 3 inch holes on the filtered side. Flex hose will link them to some carb tops with three inch inlets. Since all the filtration is done in the air box, the only purpose of the carb hats will be to feed cool clean air into the carbs.

I figure I can use my existing bases and tops. Where the filters go could be layed up in fiberglass.

With this configuration I should not impact any of the other function in my engine bay. The flex tube will give me vibration and movement since the engine will be floating on the mounts, and the air box won't.

This should give me plenty of air to breathe and really quiet down my carbs. Right?

Zach

Be very careful taking air from the wheel well. A puddle (or even very wet road) can throw enough water to cause issues. Some of the rice cars use a water diverter of some type as they often take cold air from a wheel well or near the bumper, you might look for that part as well.

LDS Geek
narino
Looks like those Air boxes are 8 inches tall. I'm away from the car otherwise I'd go and measure it to see if it'd fit. Here is the cut-sheet for reference.

Root_Werks
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Aug 17 2010, 10:49 AM) *

I wonder if one could simply modify the 911 one to work on a 4cyl car.

Maybe just need to modify the basees that fit on the carbs (maybe plug one hole on each base)?

Dunno if they're close enough to the same length to work though.

Too tall, 911 manifolds are shorter than most 914-4 manifolds.

Already test fitted one of them.

That's with rain tray removed.
narino
Zach - where did you find this setup?

IPB Image

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(narino @ Aug 17 2010, 03:33 PM) *

Zach - where did you find this setup?

IPB Image

I spent about an hour working every combo of search terms I could think of to try and find the post where I had seen the guy that laid up his own. Never found the thread I was looking for, but I did find the thread with that picture. Rich Towle posted it, so put his name into the search form and you will find it too.

Zach
Drums66
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 16 2010, 12:42 PM) *

idea.gif

IPB Image

Damn....can't seem to close my engine lid! hissyfit.gif yellowsleep[1].gif yellowsleep[1].gif
Root_Werks
Check out this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/44-idf-webe...sQ5fAccessories

This guy has sold a few of these converted oil-bath Type-1 cleaners for IDF's. I bought two of them to convert for my 914 and after some planning, found you don't need to keep the dome top. Which means you can keep the rain tray and have a HUGE reduction in intake noise.

Zach,

I'll box up everything I have for you. Since I'm doing the FI thing now, I'll just send everything to you. Maybe you can pick up on something I left off on and make it work?

welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
narino
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 17 2010, 03:43 PM) *

... after some planning, found you don't need to keep the dome top. Which means you can keep the rain tray and have a HUGE reduction in intake noise.

Dan, what did you find you could use for a lid instead of the dome?

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 17 2010, 05:43 PM) *

Zach,

I'll box up everything I have for you. Since I'm doing the FI thing now, I'll just send everything to you. Maybe you can pick up on something I left off on and make it work?

welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif

aktion035.gif ROCK! aktion035.gif

Zach
Root_Werks
QUOTE(narino @ Aug 17 2010, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 17 2010, 03:43 PM) *

... after some planning, found you don't need to keep the dome top. Which means you can keep the rain tray and have a HUGE reduction in intake noise.

Dan, what did you find you could use for a lid instead of the dome?

Never actually got to that part. Figured a simple piece of small gauge sheet metal after cutting off the "Dome" top would do the trick.

I'm with Zach, carbs do sound cool, but not on a street car you want to hear music or the pass talk. All that intake noise really bothered me.

I got my 914 running last night so I'll get to boxing up all the stuff this week and send it out. smile.gif
VaccaRabite
Indeed. I want to be able to drive my son around in my car, but right now it is so loud that it scares him!

Also, it would be nice to not need foam ear plugs when making longer then 20 minute drives with the top on the car. I killed enough of my hearing in my youth to loose any more now.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Dan, I got your package today! smilie_pokal.gif
Well, rather it was in my driveway when I got home from the 914World BBQ last night. Talk about great timing! Anyway, my allergies have exploded today so I am hunkering down inside and trying to wait them out. Not allowed to take any allergy drugs until my appointment with the allregist Sept1. So I have not peeked inside. Monday, or tonight if I can breathe.

Zach
FourBlades

I am also interested in quieting my car a little more.

Does anyone have a guestimate how much of the noise you hear while
driving is coming from the webers?

John
VaccaRabite
Depending on how your car is set up, a lot of it is.
On mine, I have no rain tray, and my engine grill is the double grill GT style. Looks cool, allows in more cool air, but does NOTHING for noise abatement. The carb howl seems to cut right through my rear glass into the cabin.

With a rain tray, and the engine side sound proofing (which I also don't have) the engine noise might be less. I don't know.

Zach
FourBlades
I have a regular engine grill. I like the GT style but am worried about noise and rain.

I added a layer of dynamat to the sheet metal part of my engine grill. It made
a noticeable lowering of the sound. I don't have a rain tray in yet but am going
to try one. I am trying to figure out how to dynamat the bottom of the rain
tray as well and see what happens.

I plan to add an external cooler with a fan like you did to help with
engine cooling.

Be nice if there was a reasonably priced air box kit that did not look out of
place in our engine bays.

You could always switch to regular air cleaners for autox and DEs.

John
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 22 2010, 12:01 PM) *

Dan, I got your package today! smilie_pokal.gif
Well, rather it was in my driveway when I got home from the 914World BBQ last night. Talk about great timing! Anyway, my allergies have exploded today so I am hunkering down inside and trying to wait them out. Not allowed to take any allergy drugs until my appointment with the allregist Sept1. So I have not peeked inside. Monday, or tonight if I can breathe.

Zach

Quite the box eh? happy11.gif

That represents about $350 of my farting around and experimenting. I'm actually hoping you can think of something creative to do with all of it.

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
VaccaRabite
There was a lot in that box!

the 356 air cleaners were a lot bigger then I thought they would be. I think that is my best bet if I can get them to work.

Zach
Root_Werks
I think they are actually 912 early for just a couple of years.

Rare actually.

The pass side will just bolt right up, no issues. I had it on for fun for about a week.

The drivers side is the only PITA. Since that bank of cyl's is that much closer to the firewall, the assembly won't quite fit.

Lots of options though.

Shorten the can(s) and just find a filter element that fits.

Detach can and use hose to go to can.

Hopefully you'll find something that works.

Slap the pass side and just step back and look at it. Kinda cool, looks all nice and factory.
campbellcj
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Aug 22 2010, 01:15 PM) *

I am also interested in quieting my car a little more.

Does anyone have a guestimate how much of the noise you hear while
driving is coming from the webers?

John

I know in my car (totally gutted -6) virtually all of the interior noise is from the fan and carbs, and not the exhaust. That is unless I'm running open megaphones which are a whole other ballgame and in the >110dB range.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.