Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Wheel Bearing Question...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeM
Guys...I'm trying to decide whether or not to do this myself.
I need to replace the right rear wheel bearing on my 74 914 2.0 liter,4 cyl.
Does the trailing arm need to come off? Or can the bearing be replaced without removing the arm? What do YOU usually do?
Thanks in advance....
Mike
dlee6204
The arm does not need to come off. It can be done with it still on the car. Taking off the arms can screw up your alignment.

pcar916
I'd take the trailing arms off only if the trailing-arm bushings needed replacing as well. In that case I'd install Elephant's poly-bronze at the same time on both arms and replace the bearing(s) using someone's press if you don't have one. Otherwise do it on the car and make the extractor after a trip to the hardware store.

You can make a bearing extractor from all-thread, big washers and a PVC fitting fitting or the appropriately sized pipe. I just did a brief search for some threads that address this but you can finish the search for it! Somewhere there is a thread that shows the dimensions.

Doug speaks the truth that you'll probably need to re-align the rear unless you are rigorously measuring/marking the position of the outside bracket(s). Even then I'd check it. If you replace bushings you'll have to do it from scratch anyway.

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.