Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Someone SCAMMING me via our classifieds?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AZ914
Here is a good one... laugh.gif

I'm selling a set of Rivieras in the club's classifieds. Decent condition, some ok 165's on them. I've gotten a couple of bites.. fine.

So I get this email this morning. A guy, who shall remain nameless for the time being, offered $2500 ohmy.gif for the set and would like to arrange a pick-up at my location if his offer is accepted...

WTF!!! Its not like I'm including my Saratoga top with the Rivs! happy11.gif I SMELL SCAM!!!!

Anyone else experience something like this? Do people have to register here to VIEW the classifieds?
SLITS
Ya think he forgot the period between 25 and the 0s? lol3.gif
davep
Cash deal only, and check the printing before handing the goods over. laugh.gif
Mueller
maybe it was a late April Fools joke smile.gif

riv's are not worth $250 let alone $2500...... laugh.gif
AZ914
I double checked... $2,500 as typed.

The name doesn't sound Nigerian.. wink.gif
Mueller
They've changed the names to sound more "normal".....

I'm curious how they'd pull off the scam if dealing with you in person...I'm guessing they'd offer to give you a check for more than the agreed price with them wanting you to give them the difference in cash or a good check....

I'd tell him okay and see what happens.......
SirAndy
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Apr 13 2004, 09:33 AM)
Do people have to register here to VIEW the classifieds?

nope ...
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 13 2004, 09:13 AM)
I'm curious how they'd pull off the scam if dealing with you in person...I'm guessing they'd offer to give you a check for more than the agreed price with them wanting you to give them the difference in cash or a good check....

If it is, try doing something like this, not exactly of course, but try and get them for some CASH, then Laugh about it & share with Us!!!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...l=nigerian+scam
Gint
Do people have to register here to VIEW the classifieds?

Nope. Take 'em up on the offer if it's local pickup. F with 'em. Waste their time.
ablose58
agree.gif I agree w/gint. mueba.gif F/with them and see what happens. AL
Brad Roberts
Yep. I go this same shit today. Offered 1550$ for something I have listed for a 1k.

I have already began the fucking.

B
Brad Roberts
Here is what he wrote back:

Brad
thank you for your reply, Am okay with the price
$1550 ,am a car dealer in london. Inrespect of payment
i have a client in the U.S who is owing me $4000 All i
need to do to make payment easier and faster is to
instruct him to procure a cashiers check and mail it
to you on the address and name you want on the check
and you know it takes 24hrs for a cashiers check to
clear in the U.S. But i would want to know if i can
trust you to send my balance to me via western union
money transfer after the money must have cleared in
your bank to enable me prepay the shipping cost for
the pick up in your location.mail me asap to enable me
arrange payment. Furnish me with your name and address
with your contact phone number, so i will forward it
to my client for payment.

thanks
mark...
3d914
This should be interesting!
rhodyguy
"if i could trust you"... oh yeah. i could have much fun with this guy. "the check will go out monday", right out into the trash burner.

kevin
iiibdsiil
My buddy went through the Nigerian scam. When he went to the bank, and they knew right off the bat the thing was fake. "Started" cashing it, called the police. I can't believe these people are getting these things through banks. If I could get it passed the frigin bank, and know that it was all good, and not going back to me, I would put up a motor for sale, just so they would sent me 10 grand and keep it all.

-Brett Smith
dinomium
Go get 'em Brad!
fighting19.gif
p914
It's most likely an Arab scammer using the Western Union scam that has been rampant the past 1 1/2 years.. Lots of Al Quedas in London. ar15.gif fighting19.gif blowtorch.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
GWN7
Darn, I have to sell something...I'm missing out on all the good emails... laugh.gif
dinomium
I know! Alls I get is somebody want that thing so I sayz yes...
THEN I never hear from them again!
confused24.gif
I would LOVE to HELP "Mark" from London! fighting19.gif
GWN7
Just read this and I'd thought I'd add it to the scammer thread.............. ph34r.gif

Source: The Register http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/35365.html

By John Leyden
Posted: 05/02/2004 at 15:05 GMT

A Minnesota man who tried to defraud PayPal customers through a phishing scam has pleaded guilty to wire fraud.

Alec Scott Papierniak, 20, of Mankato in Minnesota, also admitted using viral code to further his fraudulent activities at an appearance in a federal court in San Jose on Tuesday.

Papierniak was able to siphon money from online accounts after he tricked users into handing over their user names and passwords via bogus security alerts. These bogus alerts directed users to a maliciously constructed Web site run by Papierniak, instead of the genuine PayPal site.

In pleading guilty, Papierniak also admitted to emailing a "key logger" virus to PayPal users, again with theft in mind. Both MiMail-I and MiMail-J fit the bill, but we're not certain if either virus was involved in this case.

The 20 year-old ran the scams for nearly two years until he was caught in September 2003. Papierniak, who admits stealing in excess of $30,000 during that time, has agreed to pay restitution to his victims.

A DoJ statement on the case omits details of how Papierniak was tracked down, beyond saying it was the result of an FBI investigation. If a member of the public was involved we’d be very disappointed if Microsoft didn’t stump up a substantial reward as part of its Anti-Virus Reward Program.

Papierniak pleaded guilty to a specimen charge involving theft of $10,000 from one account and is scheduled to return for sentencing by US District Judge James Ware on May 10. Wire fraud is punishable by up to 20 years imprisonment but Papierniak's guilty plea will go some way towards reducing the severity of his sentence.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.