Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using a 3.0 with CIS, any magic to install?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
So I have finally landed an engine to install in my 914-6 conversion. I found a nicely maintained '79 3.0 with the stock CIS injection.

My question,essentially: is there any magic to getting the engine to fit in the engine bay with the large airbox, etc. Obviously I would like to convert to Webers or Throttle bodies at some point - but my question relates to installing a stock 79 engine into a 914.

I already have the bulkhead conversion mount from Rich Johnson, so that part is covered. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks

Rob
Mark Henry
Do a search, yes it can and has been done.
You have to shave the ribs on the top of the molded hose, top of the throttle plate (don't know the proper name). You can also drop the mount about an inch and you may have to relocate the lid latch.
IronHillRestorations
I haven't done a CIS 6 conversion, but I think you can take the intake off and reverse it so you don't have to modify the engine lid latch or the intake housing.
moparrob
I did try a search but for some reason I received no results. Obviously user error.

In any case I appreciate the info.

Anyone else have any input?

Thanks.
Nana's_914
Some links:

AUDI airbox

CIS doesn't fit

Dropped the three 1"
moparrob
Now THAT is alot of information - certainly a good start.

From the little I have read (I'm at work...) it seems like it may be easier to sell the entire CIS and get some Webers.

I'll check it out further tonight..

Thanks again!

Project 6
The 3.0 will fit with CIS, the airbox either has to be turned or you cut the trunk a bit.
DanT
or install the bulkhead motor mount 1/2-3/4" lower... smile.gif
moparrob
Cool. Well, that doesn't sound so bad - especially since I haven't welded in my mount yet.

Thanks.
Justinp71
QUOTE(moparrob @ Aug 17 2010, 09:58 AM) *

Now THAT is alot of information - certainly a good start.

From the little I have read (I'm at work...) it seems like it may be easier to sell the entire CIS and get some Webers.

I'll check it out further tonight..

Thanks again!

Lol that's what I did, the webbers are great and give you options. But you will spend a little time tuning them. Also make sure that you run good air filters and fuel filters so you dont fill your fuel bowls with junk.

I previously ran a 2.7 with CIS it worked fine after we cut the trunk latch off, you can also flip the airbox 180 degrees with modifiying the air shroud. But the 3.0 CIS has some additional valves that run into the rear firewall, not sure how to get around that...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.