Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 fuel injection conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john914/4
I have a 1.7 fuel injection motor in my 1970 parts car. I have removed it and I have a set of weber 40 IDF's that I want to install. my question is what fuel pump should I use and will the distributer be okey. I am putting it into my 1972 914 as a test bed for getting the rest of the car sorted. It has been off the road for years. I will be rebuilding an engine for the 72 over the winter I hope but this will get me going. I have another question concerning the motor I wish to build. I have the stock 1.7 from the 1972 but the block is crk'ed. the car came with a new set of jugs, pistons that are 96mm. could anyone tell me what block would be best and crank, rods, cam, etc. I have 3 sets of heads I believe there are 2 1.7's and 1 pair of 1.8's any help would be greatfull. with this set up what about a fuel pump as well a distributer. again thanks
Bleyseng
The Djet FI will give you better hp/torque on the 1.7L than the carbs but if its what you want to do....
any carb fuel pump will work....keep the FI dizzy as it has the right advance curve for the engine, just rebuild it yourself.

the 96mm pistons if they are NPR tend to collapse if they get too hot...as they are really thin.
Heads? all 1.7heads are kinda the same with the small ports and valves.
Going to the 1.8 heads will help as they have bigger valves but you will have to use a set of 96mm pistons with em to build a 1911cc.
If you are going to split the case then install a webcam with lifters and go carbs to get some hp along with the 1.8 heads and 96's.. you should be over 100hp
realred914
that 1970 1.7 FI engine is pretty peppy, the car is also lighter than teh late cars, a good combo, (plus the early higer power 1.7's motors got great mpg actually!) I have had one, and they are great, seem to have a bit quicker power curve to me than my 2.0 liter car.

you may well stick with that FI system rather than carbs. and enjoy the better drivability, MPG, and less maintanence of the stock FI, the early motors, the first 1.7's were very nice. if it aint worn out, then have fun with it.

then save up for a much better motor latter, the upgrade you want to do has too many negitives for me for the small carb and limited performance upgrade (if not done just right, you can down grade the power with a switch , make sure you have the right parts). now however if youre intent is a monster power motor , then do it right and get some big arsed carbs on there, supper cam, big bore, special heads, headers etc..........make it REALLY worth the trade offs of switching to carbs.

for best parts, for the case, early cases have less heat damage than smog contraol cases genrally. get a case that is inspected, thats the main thing, check for cracks, and bore , some things can be repaired, , others you toss the case. (ie... bore shot)

for heads, well make a matched set for first, look them over if you can make a set that are not cracked, that is a bonus, for supper reliability, new sets are a nice thing to have put in, if your going to the time of regrinding the seats, might as well replace them is my opinion seeing as the only way I figure to tell if visuially fine seats is getting looose or not is to remove it and see how much force it took!!!!!

so see what you got first, then depends on budget.

contact Pierce manifolds Inc. 408 842-6673 (Gilroy Calif. ) they are a leading Weber distributor and experts in all Webers, they have all the goodies, and pumps / regulators and have some very good books on tuning and carb jet selections for variuos engines. really good folks, there, and very knowledgeabnle, they will help you out, there advice is great, even if you dont buy anything, very helpfull.
john914/4
QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 17 2010, 03:13 PM) *

that 1970 1.7 FI engine is pretty peppy, the car is also lighter than teh late cars, a good combo, (plus the early higer power 1.7's motors got great mpg actually!) I have had one, and they are great, seem to have a bit quicker power curve to me than my 2.0 liter car.

you may well stick with that FI system rather than carbs. and enjoy the better drivability, MPG, and less maintanence of the stock FI, the early motors, the first 1.7's were very nice. if it aint worn out, then have fun with it.

then save up for a much better motor latter, the upgrade you want to do has too many negitives for me for the small carb and limited performance upgrade (if not done just right, you can down grade the power with a switch , make sure you have the right parts). now however if youre intent is a monster power motor , then do it right and get some big arsed carbs on there, supper cam, big bore, special heads, headers etc..........make it REALLY worth the trade offs of switching to carbs.

for best parts, for the case, early cases have less heat damage than smog contraol cases genrally. get a case that is inspected, thats the main thing, check for cracks, and bore , some things can be repaired, , others you toss the case. (ie... bore shot)

for heads, well make a matched set for first, look them over if you can make a set that are not cracked, that is a bonus, for supper reliability, new sets are a nice thing to have put in, if your going to the time of regrinding the seats, might as well replace them is my opinion seeing as the only way I figure to tell if visuially fine seats is getting looose or not is to remove it and see how much force it took!!!!!

so see what you got first, then depends on budget.

contact Pierce manifolds Inc. 408 842-6673 (Gilroy Calif. ) they are a leading Weber distributor and experts in all Webers, they have all the goodies, and pumps / regulators and have some very good books on tuning and carb jet selections for variuos engines. really good folks, there, and very knowledgeabnle, they will help you out, there advice is great, even if you dont buy anything, very helpfull.

I have been hearing a lot about keeping the FI but in my case it is trashed. it was a mess on the top of the motor mice chewed frayed the control box was rusted and a wiring mess. the webers came with it and I thought I could use them.
Bleyseng
I would look at a replacement FI harness from Jeff Bowlsby. The ECUs are usually rusty on the outside and it had no protection. Open it and look at it to see if its rusty inside or covered with white powder. They rarely fail and are really sturdy even if they look like hell. Used good 1.7 ones are cheap and plentiful too.
realred914
driving.gif i think tradisrad has a 1.7 system for sale right now, otherwise you can run with carbs, hard to say which will involve more time /cost to get running, carbs may or may not be right ones, may needs lots of adjustment, that verses rebuilding your existing FI with some used parts. tough call from far.

good luck either way lets us know how to help you along.

have fun driving.gif driving-girl.gif chowtime.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif smilie_pokal.gif
john914/4
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 18 2010, 08:20 AM) *

I would look at a replacement FI harness from Jeff Bowlsby. The ECUs are usually rusty on the outside and it had no protection. Open it and look at it to see if its rusty inside or covered with white powder. They rarely fail and are really sturdy even if they look like hell. Used good 1.7 ones are cheap and plentiful too.

thanks for yor info I kinda want to stay with the carbs though. I like messing around with them rather then FI.
john914/4
QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 18 2010, 08:22 AM) *

driving.gif i think tradisrad has a 1.7 system for sale right now, otherwise you can run with carbs, hard to say which will involve more time /cost to get running, carbs may or may not be right ones, may needs lots of adjustment, that verses rebuilding your existing FI with some used parts. tough call from far.

good luck either way lets us know how to help you along.

have fun driving.gif driving-girl.gif chowtime.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I kinda like the idea of the carbs rather then FI thanks for you reply.
tradisrad
Yep, I can sell a 1.7 injections system. Good luck with the carbs. I've toyed with the idea of going to carbs in the past, but am happy with my injection once it was sorted out. I think the big thing against carbs in the cam shaft in the engine is not quite right for them. Also warm up can be a PIA with carbs and gas mileage may suffer.
Bleyseng
This is the same kind of threads I used to see in 1995.....I kinda like messing with carbs....ok, don't toss out the djet FI! put it in a box and save it.
One day after the carbs jell up cuz on the crappy gas we have now you might want to put it back on.... chair.gif
underthetire
Once you learn FI, there is no other choice.
john914/4
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Aug 19 2010, 08:14 AM) *

Yep, I can sell a 1.7 injections system. Good luck with the carbs. I've toyed with the idea of going to carbs in the past, but am happy with my injection once it was sorted out. I think the big thing against carbs in the cam shaft in the engine is not quite right for them. Also warm up can be a PIA with carbs and gas mileage may suffer.

whats a complete FI system for my 1970 run? as mine is missing.
GeorgeRud
You may find complete 1.7 engines for next to nothing, I know people that gave them away to clear up garage space.

I also agree that FI is the way to go. If you live in an area that has alcohol added to the gasoline, you'll be glad that you stayed with the FI. Carbs are really not very happy with today's fuels (IMHO). Both of my -6s are carbed, and I really miss the ease and driveability of FI. They're fun once they're warmed up and running well, but the first two minutes is an absolute pain as there are no chokes.
mtndawg
It took me a while to learn the operation and adjustment of the 1.7L djet. It's great and the gas mileage is awesome. I saw a commercial on TV yesterday for Kia and they were talking about how amazing it is that their car gets 30+ mpg. My car is nearly 40 years old and it gets better than 30 mpg.

By the way I have a few extra djet FI parts in the classifieds that are in pretty good shape!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.