Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5- lug 911 Brakes-
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ghost
Okay, finally and definitively!!
Is there ANY year FRONT 5-Lug 911 parts (hubs/rotors/calipers) that WILL bolt onto a 914 without modification? ANY?
I have people emailing me saying they have early 911 hubs-rotors and calipers / brakes that bolt onto a 914. From what I've been told this is a NO.

TIA
Bob O
Mueller
NO smile.gif

in order to use any 911 brake parts in the front, you need 911 struts....the struts will bolt on if the ball joints are the correct style
Mark Henry
I believe Brad is working on a hub kit that will allow you to use 911 M callipers and vented rotors and keep the stock 4 bolt pattern. The M callipers will bolt on, but nothing else fits. Most guys just bolt the whole 911 front end or the struts on.

This is “I think” as I know little about the five bolt conversions.
Mueller
Mark,

We will also have a new billet hub that is 5 bolt that uses the 911 rotor and caliper that will bolt onto the 914 strut, but it's still a few months away....they will be made, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them smile.gif
Mark Henry
I know where there is the bottom of a 911 tub. All that is there is the suspension and brakes, '73-ish. I think it has the steel SC brakes.

Does anything from the rear brakes/hubs work in a conversion?

Also will my 914/4 bilstiens fit in the front struts?
davep
73 911 should not have the "A" calipers, just the "M" calipers. Also wrong spacing there.
"M" calipers fit a 914 strut, but nothing else. To go 5 bolt you need 911 parts until the adapters are made.

I think the strut inserts are interchangeable.
The 5 bolt rear hubs should work with a 914/6 stub axle, or a 911 stub axle and CV joint mods.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 13 2004, 12:28 PM)
73 911 should not have the "A" calipers, just the "M" calipers. Also wrong spacing there.
"M" calipers fit a 914 strut, but nothing else. To go 5 bolt you need 911 parts until the adapters are made.

I think the strut inserts are interchangeable.
The 5 bolt rear hubs should work with a 914/6 stub axle, or a 911 stub axle and CV joint mods.

Ok, it must be a later 911 tub as I just bead blasted 3 sets (1 set of the AL jobbies) of SC calipers for Mike and these were the same units. I know nothing about 911's except the engines.

The 911 has no upper body at all, what was there was bottom 12 inches and the strut towers. No roof engine, trans, doors...just the floor. sawzall-smiley.gif
Totally butchered, get the picture...nothing, nada, except the suspension. wacko.gif

Don't ask sad.gif
Mark Henry
Mike called them SC calipers...is the AL ones the SC and the steel ones "A" calipers?

Shows how much I know, plus I wasn't really paying attention at the time.
RAR
Front 911SC steel calipers are A. Aluminum alloy fronts are S from some early/mid seventies 911's. Both have 3.5" spacing, and won't fit 914 struts which are 3".
Eric_Shea
Sounds like it's getting confusing...

Answer = No. As Mike Mueller pointed out, not yet. Spindle size is different. Best bet is to research that 73 that has the suspension. You'll get a bolt-on solution at least for the fronts.

73 911 should not have the "A" calipers, just the "M" calipers

Unless it's an S, which would have S-Calipers (the aluminum ones) not the "A-Calipers". A-Calipers did not arrive until 77-78 (I "think").

I think it has the steel SC brakes

Possible, but more likely they are steel "M-Calipers" with the 3" spacing. Sombody may have updated it to the later style but that doesn't sound like something you would do to a rusting hulk.

RAR is correct:

S-Caliper = Aluminum.
A-Caliper = Steel version of the above.

Both have 3.5" spacing and do not fit on a 914 or standard early (911T) Boge front end. You must have either Koni or Bilstein struts in order to bolt these up.

Does anything from the rear brakes/hubs work in a conversion?

Others are correct. The hubs will bolt up to 914-6 stub axles. Mittlemotor usually has these for $250-275 on eBay. $50 shipping. The emergency brake system will also work with little modification. Check my e-brake conversion thread in the "Classics". The rear calipers will then bolt on as well. This will allow (with the 911 front end) vented rotors all around. The entire package would get you a complete 911 system. At that point I would ditch the proportioning valve in favor of the "T" fitting. Other's can weigh in on adjustable valves etc.

I'm currently using:

Front -
Koni Struts
Koni Inserts
S-Calipers
Vented Drilled Brembos

Rear -
Koni Shocks
140lb Springs
Boxed Control Arms
911 Hand brake
911 Rear Caliper (911 fronts rub and need extensive modification to the nose)
911 Rear Rotor - Vented Drilled Brembos

"T" Valve in place of the proportioning valve.

This is the same "system" used on the 911RS and the 76 Turbo. I say "system" because I would "really" encourage you to look at the system as a whole. There's been a tremendous amout of discussion regarding upgrading fronts (BMW, 911, etc...) and not rears. There's been a tremendous amount of discussion regarding vented rotors vs. solid etc.

I'm stupid so I left it up to the engineers at Porsche.

Hope that helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.