Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New addition to the Saville Garage...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
piratenanner.gif

bandjoey
WOW! You got a 4 post lift! Great addition.. poke.gif happy11.gif

Those are 2 sweeeetttt garage mates. Which one are you bringing to MUSR? I know everyone would give their teeth to see either one.
naro914
Actually, yes, that is what I was referring to - the lift!
Its such a PITA to do stuff without the lift, and an opportunity came up, so I'm very happy.
Besides now we can put all 4 cars in the garage (including the Tahoe)

Top one is Papa Smurf, not even close to street legal, pure racer. No lights except brake, stripped completely, all fiberglass and CF body panels, etc. and normally WAY too low - engine is currently out in this pic.

Bottom is Huey, our driver and the one we totalled at Targa Newfoundland. That's who's coming to MUSR if we make it. Put 6,000+ miles on him last year. And now with the new 3.2 engine... sweeet...smile.gif
Tom_T
2 more lifts Bob & you can park 6! biggrin.gif

Did you have to strengthen the slab for the lift post bases? confused24.gif

I'd love to put in a double lift in our small 2 car garage, but it's a 1921 Craftsman with a low roof - requiring me to "raise the roof" - but it's"Historically Controlled" in our town & don't think they'll let me! dry.gif
naro914
No. Interestingly, the car and the lift together are actually lighter than the Tahoe, and the footprint of the lift is much larger than tire footprint, distributing the weight better. As you can see, we have a very high ceiling smile.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 17 2010, 04:49 PM) *

No. Interestingly, the car and the lift together are actually lighter than the Tahoe, and the footprint of the lift is much larger than tire footprint, distributing the weight better. As you can see, we have a very high ceiling smile.gif

Yeah - some guys have all the luck on height! dry.gif

Not sure if the 1920's floor slab is thick enough & doubt that it's reinforced - but that probably will work on mine floor slab too with that logic! biggrin.gif

Although it was built in 1921, the local high school came in next door in 1956 & built tennis courts to withing 18" of the south wall (before we owned it) - thereby forcing it into a non-conforming setback & thereby a supposed fire hazard - even though there are 3 sets of tennis courts lengthwise (450'+) to the nearest building! blink.gif

So the City told me that if I did anything "different" to the garage, that I'd have to rebuild the south wall to 1 hr. fire resistive (it's detached, but similar to the typical attached gar. house-to-garage wall constr.), & that they may then also require me to expand it from the original Model T size 18' x 17'-6" to 20x20! How the heck that keeps it "historically correct" is beyond me! dry.gif
JeffBowlsby
If you can't go up Tom, you could go down. Put a pit in it? smile.gif

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 17 2010, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 17 2010, 04:49 PM) *

Yeah - some guys have all the luck on height! dry.gif

Not sure if the 1920's floor slab is thick enough & doubt that it's reinforced - but that probably will work on mine floor slab too with that logic! biggrin.gif

Although it was built in 1921, the local high school came in next door in 1956 & built tennis courts to withing 18" of the south wall (before we owned it) - thereby forcing it into a non-conforming setback & thereby a supposed fire hazard - even though there are 3 sets of tennis courts lengthwise (450'+) to the nearest building! blink.gif

So the City told me that if I did anything "different" to the garage, that I'd have to rebuild the south wall to 1 hr. fire resistive (it's detached, but similar to the typical attached gar. house-to-garage wall constr.), & that they may then also require me to expand it from the original Model T size 18' x 17'-6" to 20x20! How the heck that keeps it "historically correct" is beyond me! dry.gif

Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 17 2010, 05:39 PM) *

If you can't go up Tom, you could go down. Put a pit in it? smile.gif

Unfortunately that won't add more car parking. sad.gif

Maybe if I get 2 lifts side-by-side installed, then build some cripple walls pre-skinned & ready to add, then cut all around the garage & one dark moonless night jack the entire thing up with the lifts & stick in the cripple panels! .... maybe nobody will notice that it's a few feet taller! biggrin.gif

Interestingly Jeff, when my wife saw a pic of your 2 914s on your lift, she asked if we could do that & park 3-4 cars in our garage! So that's the tougher half of the battle, cuz you can appeal to City Council or try for Variance, but when the wife say "NO!" - then there's no Appeals! dry.gif
naro914
When we were first looking at our house, it wasn't sheetrocked yet. The ceiling in the garage was really high, but tough to figure out just framed. We stood there and Nadine said to the builder "is that the height of the ceiling?" he said "yes why" she then looked at me and said "cool, we could put a lift in here!" the builder looked at me and said " did SHE just say that???"
zymurgist
Very nice! I thought about getting a 4 post lift for my garage, but the dumbass who designed it only specified 8 feet between the floor and the ceiling. Oh wait, that would be me. Double dumbass on me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.