Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restored 380 leather wrap wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I was wanting to put a restored stock steering wheel back on my car...a leather slightly padded wheel like the RS. The picture below is from an outfit in Dallas that just quoted me a price of $399. I thought for sure I heard or read somewhere the price from this outfit was around $300??

Anyone buy from them...if so are you happy with the workmanship? Any other vendors that people have used? I know I could do it myself with a kit, but I want it too look professionally done.

Thanks
Click to view attachment
carr914
I had Dallas Steering Wheel do 2 wheels for me and I know that EricShea has used them as well. I did the double wrap. They do Very Nice Work and the turnaround is very quick.

However DON'T let them paint the wheel, their finish is in correct

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I think that we actually have the new wheels for that price. Look at this on our site: B90134708400 We also have the gt horn button: B90134780300

Our recovered ones slightly padded are 195.00 exchange of course. They are in the 914 catalog!

I guess we are just not getting out there thoroughly enough!!!!
70_914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 18 2010, 08:20 AM) *

I think that we actually have the new wheels for that price. Look at this on our site: B90134708400 We also have the gt horn button: B90134780300

Our recovered ones slightly padded are 195.00 exchange of course. They are in the 914 catalog!

I am not sure if that is the problem. In my opinion your website is stromberg.gif . I have tried to look for several parts and can't find a #*%-ing thing. Take a page from Pelican and make a site that customers can actually use...

Again, just my opinion, but since you have to jump into every "I need this part..." discussion and pimp your company it seems I am not alone.

Kevin
Jakeodoule

QUOTE(70_914 @ Aug 18 2010, 09:00 AM) *

I am not sure if that is the problem. In my opinion your website is stromberg.gif . I have tried to look for several parts and can't find a #*%-ing thing. Take a page from Pelican and make a site that customers can actually use...

Again, just my opinion, but since you have to jump into every "I need this part..." discussion and pimp your company it seems I am not alone.

Kevin

I did check just to see if I could find the wheel and price that was just quoted on the AA site.
I ended up here
http://www.autoatlanta.org/detail.lasso?Pa...ial_number=9996

$986.94 for a new wheel.

I really am not bashing AA. I buy from them from time to time.
I find your site ok to use. However your prices out of my budget for most items.
DanT
use the number from above (B90134708400) and put it into the AA search box...comes up at about $500
RFoulds
I have been experiencing somewhat the same problem.
George, how can pricing vary so wildly? If you believe the price is $195 with core exchange, why does the site list it at close to $500?

Tom_T
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 18 2010, 08:09 AM) *

I had Dallas Steering Wheel do 2 wheels for me and I know that EricShea has used them as well. I did the double wrap. They do Very Nice Work and the turnaround is very quick.

T.C.

So T.C. - which color & mfgr. paint is correct & from which source(s)? confused24.gif

.... so we can all have DSW recover (single OEM wrap in my case) & then repaint or touch-up the wheel spokes/hub & horn butterfly ourselves. smile.gif

Computers4kids - I hope that ratty butterfly is part of the price "as restored", cuz that's pretty worn looking. But then you don't want them repainting it the wrong paint per TC! dry.gif

You might try Sierra Madre Collection, as IIRC they sell a new 380 mm RS wheel also, but don't recall the price (maybe around $500?).
narino
Part number B91434780511 on AA comes up with the $195 wheel. Though not sure if it's the same one you need, the one that pops up is the 914 stock wheel.
Tom_T
QUOTE(narino @ Aug 18 2010, 01:00 PM) *

Part number B91434780511 on AA comes up with the $195 wheel. Though not sure if it's the same one you need, the one that pops up is the 914 stock wheel.

Well, just for giggles - I went to pg. 57 of the AA pdf e-cqatalog & clicked on the recovered steering wheel & got this saying it's NLA -

http://www.autoatlanta.org/detail.lasso?pa...;serial_number=

So George, when your guys/gals change up the parts nos. from the catalog for no apparent reason, it leads us to believe that the parts are NLA from your shop, & this happens on other items which I've tried too. Sometimes they'll come up on the 914 parts search, but why should the customers work so hard to find the stuff to pay AA for!!?? Your order system has also dropped items which I've ordered in the past (2/13/10 for example), & that's just lost sales revenue for your business. It should be seamless, consistent & reliable.

As to those above whining about George hawking his AA as a parts source - why is that any different than another member or member vendor speaking up that they offer a part which someone is looking for on here!!?? confused24.gif

I mean really!? - REALLY!!??

It should be the same with anyone offering a part requested by a member posting a request on here.

And as a member posting for help locating a part - I want anyone & EVERYONE to be able to answer my request WITHOUT fear of retribution/slamming etc. I'm a big boy & can decide from which source I CHOOSE to buy - not by which some other disgruntled members want to pressure folks from responding to "in the open"!!!! Other members here feel the same way too.

That said, I too have had my problems with AA & a general lack of responsiveness to my orders placed. As George knows, I'm still waiting on both incomplete items which were shipped from my 2/13/10 order, as well as those which the AA computer order system dropped and a couple of later add-ons - which Carrie has still not seen fit to get out. Now don't have her ship them now - wait until after Labor Day when I get back, cuz I don't want them sitting on my front porch to get stolen while I'm gone. However, I do expect you to look back at my past emails to you & get me that order in hand in September - esp. those already paid for but shipped complete. popcorn[1].gif

All that said - I still would not want anyone to deter George from speaking up on available items when requested by a member on here - period! shades.gif
johannes
I bought the leather kit here http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/agla_914et.htm for 65$ and did the stitching myself. The holes are already bored in the leather, the needle and the thread is also provided. Its about an hour job and you have the satisfaction to have done it yourself.
carr914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 18 2010, 03:42 PM) *

T.C.

So T.C. - which color & mfgr. paint is correct & from which source(s)? confused24.gif

.... so we can all have DSW recover (single OEM wrap in my case) & then repaint or touch-up the wheel spokes/hub & horn butterfly ourselves. smile.gif

You might try Sierra Madre Collection, as IIRC they sell a new 380 mm RS wheel also, but don't recall the price (maybe around $500?).

Personally I like the original Patina on the wheels. The only part that seems to wear off is by the Horn Pad, so you never will see it.

If you buy a Sierra Madra Wheel, it's a replica without original parts #s. I don't see the point.

I love wub.gif MY Double Wrap. I didn't think I was going to pry Steve Gaglione's fingers off mine when he saw it.

T.C.
913B
QUOTE(johannes @ Aug 18 2010, 01:42 PM) *

I bought the leather kit here http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/agla_914et.htm for 65$ and did the stitching myself. The holes are already bored in the leather, the needle and the thread is also provided. Its about an hour job and you have the satisfaction to have done it yourself.

1 quick hi-jack question. Did you use the thread they provided ? I thought it was a bit too thin. So I have postponed my re-wrap project in my quest to getting thicker thread.

Thank you

burton73
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 18 2010, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 18 2010, 03:42 PM) *

T.C.

Personally I like the original Patina on the wheels. The only part that seems to wear off is by the Horn Pad, so you never will see it.

If you buy a Sierra Madra Wheel, it's a replica without original parts #s. I don't see the point.

I love wub.gif MY Double Wrap. I didn't think I was going to pry Steve Gaglione's fingers off mine when he saw it.

T.C.

Dallas did one for me as well and for $175. It is great. I have one from Sierra Madre Collection for #41 that is of the same quality that I paid a lot more for.

I did not let Dallas paint the wheel because of what T.C. said. Dallas has a super fast turn around.

Dallas wrapped over the old making my new one like an RSR.

Bob B
computers4kids

T.C.

T.C.,
Do you think the picture I posted from the Dallas shop compares in thickness to yours which are "double wrap?" I want to make sure I end-up with a wheel thicker than stock...I assume that's what your'e calling "double wrap." 380mm.
IPB Image

carr914
Yes I think you picture looks like the "Double Wrap"

The"Double Wrap" is not actually wrapped with material twice, there is a layer of felt then the "wrap". It is definately thicker than stock.

Burton, I highly doubt they re-did the wrap over your old old leather. That wouldn't make sense as that not how the Original RSR wheels were done. The Dallas way is correct. Also I can't believe you would put a replica wheel on #41 when you have a Real numbered wheel.
Lennies914

Send us all free catalogs! biggrin.gif
70_914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 18 2010, 01:36 PM) *

Well, just for giggles - I went to pg. 57 of the AA pdf e-cqatalog & clicked on the recovered steering wheel & got this saying it's NLA -

So George, when your guys/gals change up the parts nos. from the catalog for no apparent reason, it leads us to believe that the parts are NLA from your shop, & this happens on other items which I've tried too. Sometimes they'll come up on the 914 parts search, but why should the customers work so hard to find the stuff to pay AA for!!?? Your order system has also dropped items which I've ordered in the past (2/13/10 for example), & that's just lost sales revenue for your business. It should be seamless, consistent & reliable.

As to those above whining about George hawking his AA as a parts source - why is that any different than another member or member vendor speaking up that they offer a part which someone is looking for on here!!?? confused24.gif

It should be the same with anyone offering a part requested by a member posting a request on here.

And as a member posting for help locating a part - I want anyone & EVERYONE to be able to answer my request WITHOUT fear of retribution/slamming etc. I'm a big boy & can decide from which source I CHOOSE to buy - not by which some other disgruntled members want to pressure folks from responding to "in the open"!!!! Other members here feel the same way too.

That said, I too have had my problems with AA & a general lack of responsiveness to my orders placed. As George knows, I'm still waiting on both incomplete items which were shipped from my 2/13/10 order, as well as those which the AA computer order system dropped and a couple of later add-ons - which Carrie has still not seen fit to get out. Now don't have her ship them now - wait until after Labor Day when I get back, cuz I don't want them sitting on my front porch to get stolen while I'm gone. However, I do expect you to look back at my past emails to you & get me that order in hand in September - esp. those already paid for but shipped complete. popcorn[1].gif

All that said - I still would not want anyone to deter George from speaking up on available items when requested by a member on here - period! shades.gif

Who is whining? I notice a bunch of replies about a possible replacement steering wheel, and some information about hard to use web sites...

Oh, I forgot all this... poke.gif santa_smiley.gif ar15.gif wacko.gif type.gif stirthepot.gif lol-2.gif aktion035.gif

biggy72
I tried ordering some stuff from the AA site not too long ago and couldn't figure out what was going on with my order or if I was picking the right parts. I ended up just giving up on it and going elsewhere.

That being said I saw this site: http://www.aglausa.com/p/home.html

I'm assuming it's the same agla kit as seen on the paragon site? Does it come with the extra padding or does it just go over the solid core?
Tom_T
QUOTE(biggy72 @ Aug 18 2010, 09:31 PM) *

I tried ordering some stuff from the AA site not too long ago and couldn't figure out what was going on with my order or if I was picking the right parts. I ended up just giving up on it and going elsewhere.

I'm assuming it's the same agla kit as seen on the paragon site? Does it come with the extra padding or does it just go over the solid core?

I just looked & think that they're the same kit, but find it odd that an established E-business uses PayPal but not direct credit card charges!

They also do the DSW style full recover service for you at about $210, but put a disclaimer for more $$'s if you want a CW job done.
Tom_T
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 18 2010, 07:28 PM) *

Burton, I highly doubt they re-did the wrap over your old old leather. That wouldn't make sense as that not how the Original RSR wheels were done.

agree.gif .....

Any flaws in the old leather would telegraph through the covering layer, & then the under layer will eventually deteriorate & start to come apart under there from the 2 leather layers rubbing together until the bottom one turns to flakes/chunks. Probably the same would happen with 2 new leather layers, not to mention being unnecessarily expensive & not having the "give" of the felt underlayment.
MrKona
QUOTE(biggy72 @ Aug 18 2010, 09:31 PM) *

I bought the kit from AGLA. They have two kits, one cut for felt padding and one for the stock wheel thickness. I bought the kit that comes with leather, felt, thread, and needles. Here's my thread.

Within my thread, I linked to a good thread from the early 911 registry about the original padded wheels.
johannes
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Aug 18 2010, 05:27 PM) *

QUOTE(johannes @ Aug 18 2010, 01:42 PM) *

1 quick hi-jack question. Did you use the thread they provided ? I thought it was a bit too thin. So I have postponed my re-wrap project in my quest to getting thicker thread.

Thank you

Worked fine for me, but the thread is too short if you want to make a double stitching.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 18 2010, 04:36 PM) *

agree.gif !!

No one and no business with be perfect, and things happen, but i have had difficulty locating items, usually a phone call gets it, but just last week I ordered a
gasket kit from AA for 74 2.0 HE, I got the 75, called to have corrected, asked that it be shipped overnight so I could get it done on saturday and here we are today, thursday and I STILL DO NOT HAVE THE PART!@!!!!!!!

ripper911
I just drive over to AA and get my parts, it's easier than ordering from other sources.

slap.gif stirthepot.gif
burton73
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 18 2010, 10:23 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 18 2010, 07:28 PM) *

Burton, I highly doubt they re-did the wrap over your old old leather. That wouldn't make sense as that not how the Original RSR wheels were done.

agree.gif .....

Any flaws in the old leather would telegraph through the covering layer, & then the under layer will eventually deteriorate & start to come apart under there from the 2 leather layers rubbing together until the bottom one turns to flakes/chunks. Probably the same would happen with 2 new leather layers, not to mention being unnecessarily expensive & not having the "give" of the felt underlayment.

T.C. let me try bring clarity on the wheels. #41. It had a Le Carra wheel on it when I got it and had to pay Sierra Madre Collection big money for the double wrap wheel, as I had no core. I was not happy with his first wheel so he made me up a second wheel. This took a very long time.

This is before I found out more on the 914 wheels and people that covered them. Dallas covered my 76 wheel that had the foam fake leather in good shape.
The Dallas wheel looks great just like the Sierra Madre Collection.

I have posted them and they looked just like E's

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.