Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new old cylinders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Just got a set of original 94mm mahle cylinders from otto for my race motor project.

Otto honed and lapped them, they look gorgeous.

I will be photographing them later with my large format view camera. This lets us make huge photographic prints over 44".

I have done photo series of other mechanical objects and industrial buildings in the past. New series will be type IV parts. The fin design and symmetry should make a fantastic image.

dr
Brett W
I would first take your dial bore gauge and check the wall straightness, bell mouth, etc. Then measure the amount of taper. By the way you need to do this with torque plates in place. Then Chuck the cylinders up in a lathe and see how bad out of true they are.
aircooledboy
Ouch blink.gif Man you guys are hard on Otto. Ya know, they guy has never been anything but friendly and helpful to me.
machina
QUOTE(Brett W @ Apr 13 2004, 06:00 PM)
I would first take your dial bore gauge and check the wall straightness, bell mouth, etc. Then measure the amount of taper. By the way you need to do this with torque plates in place. Then Chuck the cylinders up in a lathe and see how bad out of true they are.

I don't have to bother with all that.

I'm just using them for paper weights.

dr
Joe Bob
EWwwww, Harsh..... chair.gif
Brett W
It has nothing to do with OTTO. Don't know much about the guy. I would do this to every cylinder I plan on using. Why are you not going to use them?
Brad Roberts
Nothing bad about Otto.. but I'm betting "HE" did not hone them... maybe lap them..

B
machina
QUOTE(Brett W @ Apr 13 2004, 11:01 PM)
Why are you not going to use them?

I was being sarcastic like.

I will mic them but I'm sure they are fine.

dr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.