Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to paint a chrome bumper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cheapsnake
I've got two chrome bumpers that I want to paint car color. Is simply roughsanding and etching them sufficient to provide good bite or is there another trick to doing this? I read somewhere about a process of dechroming, where you reverse the polarity of the dip and the chrome falls off. Sounds like cowtipping to me, but then, what do I know? Anybody?

Tom
Mark Henry
It won't stick.
Sandblasting will anneal the chrome and it will peel off, but I've never done something as big as a bumper.

(I don't know if anneal is the proper term, shot peen maybe?)
burton73
QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Aug 18 2010, 05:43 PM) *

I've got two chrome bumpers that I want to paint car color. Is simply roughsanding and etching them sufficient to provide good bite or is there another trick to doing this? I read somewhere about a process of dechroming, where you reverse the polarity of the dip and the chrome falls off. Sounds like cowtipping to me, but then, what do I know? Anybody?

Tom

It is not cow tipping. The chrome does not fall off but it will come off and chrome plates a different object in the tank. Then the copper will come off the same way. This is what they do to de chrome wheels. Wheels cost $20. Each. Bumpers may be the same.

Bob B
jim_hoyland
There are adhesion promotors made so you can paint the chrome bumper. I had a set of chromed 2L Fuchs and had the spaces between the paddles painted black. Duplicolor make adhesion promotors last time I looked.
azbill
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 18 2010, 07:11 PM) *

There are adhesion promotors made so you can paint the chrome bumper. I had a set of chromed 2L Fuchs and had the spaces between the paddles painted black. Duplicolor make adhesion promotors last time I looked.

You are talking about two different animals wheels are aluminum bumpers are chrome. You don't paint chrome. Shake lose with the dollars and do it right or don't do it at all.

Bill
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Aug 18 2010, 07:43 PM) *

Tom

What are the bumpers condition. Maybe someone is willing to trade.
rfuerst911sc
I used my angle grinder with 320 sanding discs and went over the entire surface to rough it up. It didn't take that long. I sprayed truck bed liner ( Dupli-color ) and it's been holding fine for 6 months now.
Mike Bellis
Pick up some fiberglass bumpers for $100 and paint those...
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 18 2010, 07:45 PM) *

Tom

agree.gif

I've done that before. I like the look of painted early bumpers. Most 914-ers want chrome. Usually an easy trade if your chrome is decent.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 19 2010, 09:22 AM) *

agree.gif
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 18 2010, 06:45 PM) *

Tom

The rear bumper is in pretty good shape, not concours, but a good DD. Front has a bit of rust around one foglight opening, probably a low grade DD. I thought about a trade but by the time I pay shipping I figured I might as well pay for the dechroming. Anybody close by need a chrome bumper?

Tom
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 19 2010, 09:22 AM) *

That may be the way to go. Watch the classifieds for chrome bumpers.

Tom
qa1142
I just paid good bucks across several years to be cheap (I think ~$400) to get decent set of chrome

Someone will trade for sure

I'll have a set of black, but not till over winter when I get these chrome ones on idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.