Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
deloreandude86
Hello everyone, I am a new proud owner of a 1972 Porsche 914 now. I do know a little about the car but I would like to ask an expert's opinion on whether or not this was a good buy. (see link below). And I would like to have a daily driver that looks great and is mechanically sound. Also one other question I had about the car was if the speedometers were interchangeable. As a 72 it has the 120 mph speedo but out of personal preference I would like to have the 150 mph if possible. Just wondering if this would work.

Thanks for you input,

Austin

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(deloreandude86 @ Aug 18 2010, 08:41 PM) *

Hello everyone, I am a new proud owner of a 1972 Porsche 914 now. I do know a little about the car but I would like to ask an expert's opinion on whether or not this was a good buy. (see link below). And I would like to have a daily driver that looks great and is mechanically sound. Also one other question I had about the car was if the speedometers were interchangeable. As a 72 it has the 120 mph speedo but out of personal preference I would like to have the 150 mph if possible. Just wondering if this would work.

Thanks for you input,

Austin

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT)

Linky no worky! confused24.gif
deloreandude86

[/quote]
Linky no worky! confused24.gif
[/quote]

Sorry about that, I fixed the link. Thanks for telling me smile.gif
Tom_T
Well first off ........ welcome.png

It's hard to say if it's a good deal without inspecting the 914 first, since rust can hide in so many places, & cameras & evil-bay sellers lie! biggrin.gif

Second, IIRC the 73 "silver bullet" (dial center is silver) 150 mph speedo should work with no problem, since the 73 1.7L's had them, but there may be a gearing issue at the angle drive on the transaxle to change. McMark or Dr. Evil or others may speak to that.

But why change it, if it's a working speedo in good condition? It won't make that 1.7 go any faster to use up the extra 30 mph! biggrin.gif
... but engine work will, if you're planning to customize it.

If you want to keep it stock, then you should stick with the appropriate 72 silver bullet 120 mph speedo, if you're into concours or originality on classic cars.

In any case, from the evil-bay pix, you'll have plenty else to work on before you worry about speedos!

Good Luck & Have Fun! beerchug.gif
76-914
welcome.png Looks like a good project. What's it like below the battery box? Have you removed the rocker covers yet? If all this and still no rust you are one LMF. I got mine for about 2K after transportation chg's and got it running after about $4800, Notice I didn't say how much it cost to finish it? That's because they are never finished av-943.gif
Lennies914
Looks like a fun project. beerchug.gif
As four wether it's a good deal or not, hard to say until you get it home and dig in. I just purchased a '72 that is very comparable, except the engine is locked up from sitting, and paid $300.00 for it. So depending on what it is going to take to get yours running confused24.gif . The value is wether you like it or not.
Oh yea and; welcome.png
ripper911
Looks like a good deal to me!

Drive it as soon as you can, you won't want to stop!
dancinnanner.gif
silverteener
Well it's definitly not a 6 like advertised but still a nice looking car. Good luck!
ripper911
lol, nope!
agree.gif
Spoke
Nice score and

welcome.png

Since you've already bought it then it's a good deal.

The main thing with 914s as others have said is rust. Engine, tranny, suspension, wheels, etc., can be replaced easily. Rust must be fixed.

At least on the surface, it is a good sign that the battery tray is still there. Would be even better if it is solid.
deloreandude86
with this reply, I would just like to thank everyone who has already given me their insight on the car, hope to hear more,

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.