Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Woodward Dream Cruise 2010 (International Event)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
It's that time in Michigan when the annual 3rd weekend of August "Woodward Dream Cruise 2010" happens. Saturday Aug. 21st. is the official day when 1-1/2 million people line Woodward Ave to view everything from street rods, antiques, sport cars and you name it. The cruising really started on Monday the 16th. Our Gary Stellmach gathered a few of the local 914er's (today) Thursday in Birmingham, MI. and we had a nice turnout. The crowds were large and traffic along the 15-mile stretch of Woodward was moving at a crawl, 30-minutes to go about 1-mile, crowds were 3-4 deep along Woodward Ave. I took a few pictures of our cars as we watched the action. I am sure some of the other guys will post pictures also. Here are a few of the (67) photo's I snapped.

Tom
BTW: Today was the first time in 2-years I've had my 914 out. It's a fresh motor with a Raby #9550 cam & new cylinder heads. It runs strong.
TJB/914
More tomorrow, I am tired.

T
johannes
those four cars are very beautiful.
TJB/914
More this morning & more later today.
Woodward Dream Cruise 2010 wub.gif

Glenn Trapp gave me a ride in his 1970 914-6 real six (very late vin # in 70) track car. I needed a ride to pickup my 914 that was in the shop for tweeking. Wow, what 200-hp ++singing behind you at 80mph ++ down the freeway can do too you pray.gif Sitting in the sport seat with a 5-point harness watching Glenn stab the go petal and hitting the brakes put me in la, la land. That car is FAST!! I hope Glenn gets on here and tells us what he has. Forgot to say, full roll cage, Oh dang, it's a street thrill compared to my putt, putt 4!!!

Tom
TJB/914
Glenn's 6

TJB/914
Glenn's 6

TJB/914
A few Brand-X's on Woodward.

T
TJB/914
Last one's for now, more later.

I picked up my 914 at Grand Sport Performance Automotive <www.grandsport-michigan.com> Dave Laing tuned & tweeked my fresh motor so I could attend the Woodward Cruise. They gave me a 914 model in appreciation of my business. Here's a few clever photo's.

T
TJB/914
TJB/914
Woodward Brand-X
carr914
Glenn must use it for it's intended purposes - Driving driving.gif because he's got no meat left on those tires.

Question about the cruise; Do they have a lot of the old Detroit iron overheating? When I had my SS396 ElCamino, if I sat at a long Traffic light, the Temp would climb & climb.
plymouth37
Nice pics, love the Kaiser Darrin! The green on green is really cool too.
TJB/914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 20 2010, 05:28 AM) *

Glenn must use it for it's intended purposes - Driving driving.gif because he's got no meat left on those tires.

Question about the cruise; Do they have a lot of the old Detroit iron overheating? When I had my SS396 ElCamino, if I sat at a long Traffic light, the Temp would climb & climb.

TC,

Yes, heat was a killer for the big blower motor's & High Preformance engine's when your moving 1-mile in 1-hour waving to the crowds. Lots of big motor cars, antiques, motorcycles, and you name it. I got my yearly dose of hydrocarbon's yesterday in the 85 degree 90% humidity..

Tom
TJB/914
Tom Krueger's beautiful real 914-6 with a 2.7 RS motor.

T
TJB/914
Tom's #2
TJB/914
Tom's #3
TJB/914
Tom's #4
TJB/914
Brand X's @ Woodward
TJB/914
More,

A new guy (Chad) showed up with a real 914-6, It's a beautiful car.

T
TJB/914
Chad #2
TJB/914
Chad #3
TJB/914
Now for the 4's,

Mike Wright's 914 Great guy & great car.
BTW: He is looking for a new set of chrome bumper's, help him out.

T
TJB/914
Another 4 & the leader of this gathering.

Gary Stellmach's 71 or 72?? 43K orig milage. It's a beauty.

T
TJB/914
Gary's wheels,

TJB/914
Ok, now mine, Tod's been waiting, because I see him on the site. w00t.gif

T
TJB/914
Tom's 4
TJB/914
Tom's 4 wub.gif

TJB/914
Tom's 4

TJB/914
Group 4 shot smilie_pokal.gif
TJB/914
Now for the best smilie_pokal.gif

Carl's Parade winner 1974 LE w00t.gif
TJB/914
Carl's LE wheels
TJB/914
A 1968 911 joined us. This is a local beautiful one. I wish I had snapped a photo of the interior, it was outstanding.

T
TJB/914
That's about all of my photo's. I am sure some of the guys will post their shots. It was a fun outing with lots of Porsche's driving by & waving.
kfish914
Does the guy in the jeans in the pictures below happen to be Glenn Trapp?
If so I saw him at an Ohio truck stop way back in I think 2000 right after he bought it. He was on his way home to Michigan. I was on my way home from a vacation out east and a 911 went flying by then two secounds later the 914 went by. I told my wife that was a nice car. then we stopped for gas 20 minutes later and I saw the 914 and went over to talk with the owner. He was having trouble turning the heat off and I told him how. If i remember right the guy in the 911 was pissed that I was going nuts over the 914 and just said "yeah thats nice" when he mentioned he had the big buck 911.
Any ways great pictures I would love to make it up there some year when I get mine running.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
TJB/914
That's Glenn Trapp on the left and Tom Krueger on the right both real 914-6 owner's.

Hey Glenn, pickup the phone your silver 'Fritz' is being discussed. It sure looks like Glenn's 6 with the flared lips over the rear tires.

Tom
TJB/914
Hey Glenn pickup the phone, it's "Fritz'!! Out of the archives.

T
TJB/914
stirthepot.gif
TJB/914
While I was in the archives, I ran across Mark's long overdue 3.2 conversion.

Mark get going, we need your 914-6 to join us next year.

T
TJB/914
Mark #2 w00t.gif
PeeGreen 914
Good lord Tom. Those are some purty 914s wub.gif
trapper
QUOTE(kfish914 @ Aug 20 2010, 12:49 PM) *

Does the guy in the jeans in the pictures below happen to be Glenn Trapp?
If so I saw him at an Ohio truck stop way back in I think 2000 right after he bought it. He was on his way home to Michigan. I was on my way home from a vacation out east and a 911 went flying by then two secounds later the 914 went by. I told my wife that was a nice car. then we stopped for gas 20 minutes later and I saw the 914 and went over to talk with the owner. He was having trouble turning the heat off and I told him how. If i remember right the guy in the 911 was pissed that I was going nuts over the 914 and just said "yeah thats nice" when he mentioned he had the big buck 911.
Any ways great pictures I would love to make it up there some year when I get mine running.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Hi Guys,
That is my silver 914-6 #9140432654 but that isn't me in the picture, I bought the car in March, 2007. The car "Fritz" is a 2.8 liter built on an early aluminum case (six bolt lower valve covers) but it has hydraulic tensioners, TWM throttle bodies, Electromotive TecGT ECU and coil packs.

The car was originally signal orange and was owned at one time by Mike Valentine. He sold it to the owner of Beechmont Porsche in Cincinnati who had it painted diamond silver metallic.

By the way, if anybody has parts for sale I need a right side white headlight surround and also a right side chrome horn grill. I picked up a rock and cracked the right horn grill. I know they are pricey but let me know what you have, condition and how much $$.

Thanks,
Glenn
TJB/914
Slow day on Friday, Playing with photoshop.

T
trapper
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 20 2010, 09:28 AM) *

Actually those tires aren't that old. They are R-compound tires for the track, 225-50x16's on 7x16 Fuchs, and only had 6/32's to start with. Since I am going to a DE next Tuesday I didn't bother to change to my street tires.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Great shots, Tom. Neat cars, all....muscle, classics, 'rods, AND especially the 914s clap56.gif

Thanks for sharing your pics.

Paul
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Great Pictures Tom:

They show that all the nice 914's are not only on the Left

coast ! Your 914 ,( as allways looks perrrrfect ) ! Dave slap.gif
desmo900rider
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Aug 20 2010, 07:45 AM) *

Now for the 4's,

Mike Wright's 914 Great guy & great car.
BTW: He is looking for a new set of chrome bumper's, help him out.

T

Thanks Tom!

Thats me and my work in progress, hoping to find a set of bumper tops, maybe chrome bumpers if the price is right...

BTW, I looked up the paint code, my car is originally "Phoenix Red".
carr914
QUOTE(trapper @ Aug 20 2010, 02:57 PM) *

Actually those tires aren't that old. They are R-compound tires for the track, 225-50x16's on 7x16 Fuchs, and only had 6/32's to start with. Since I am going to a DE next Tuesday I didn't bother to change to my street tires.

Gotcha, but I like that you are using it for driving. My GT is getting a 2.8/earlyAluminum Case/Twin-Plug. I just sold my Electro-Motive and going to a 12 point Dizzy

Great Looking -6

T.C.
TJB/914
w00t.gif w00t.gif Woodward Dream Cruise 2010 w00t.gif w00t.gif

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I grew up in the 50's & 60's and spent time on Woodward in my youth. We were kids having fun & didn't know how much fun it was till later in life. Many happy memories building cars in my dad's barn. I was a farm boy with no money, so we had to do everything ourselves. Some of our cars were not safe, but the good Lord watched over us. I love Woodward pray.gif

FYI: Here's a few of my early cars, built by me with my car buddy's help.
FORD, 1929 HiBoy on a 32 frame started out with a full flathead & later a Corvette Motor.
FORD, 1953 Cpe with a 331 cu inch Chrysler Hemi. (fastest one in my fleet)
Etc. Etc.

Tom, Sr. Member who never grew up stirthepot.gif Now I have a Porsche!!! lol-2.gif
trapper
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 21 2010, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(trapper @ Aug 20 2010, 02:57 PM) *

Gotcha, but I like that you are using it for driving. My GT is getting a 2.8/earlyAluminum Case/Twin-Plug. I just sold my Electro-Motive and going to a 12 point Dizzy

Great Looking -6

T.C.

Thanks, love to see pics of your GT....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.