Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PORSCHE DEALERS IN SOUTHERN CAL
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
VRROOMM1
hi dose any one know what porsche dealers were in southen cal in 1969-1970 i know the car bougth there but i cant find info on them. dose someone have some info? thanks doug 1970 914
Tom_T
What city? ... any other clues? confused24.gif

Most of them are still around today, although some under a different name. For example, Newport Porsche (Power Group) in Newport Beach used to be called Chick Iverson Porsche+Audi, but Rusnack up in Pasadena, Circle in Long Beach & Downtown in LA are all still the same name.

You can look up on the Porsche website's dealer locator & find them.

Oh and ...... welcome.png
JeffBowlsby
You've seen this right? THese came with all new 914s. Pages for CA dealers attached.
JeffBowlsby
biggrin.gif
JeffBowlsby
biggrin.gif
VRROOMM1
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 23 2010, 12:28 PM) *

biggrin.gif
thanks! i have never seen that book. i have the dmv tag that gose on the rear window with the dealer# so now i have to ffind out what dealer it is thanks for the help doug h
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(VRROOMM1 @ Aug 23 2010, 10:05 AM) *

i have the dmv tag that gose on the rear window with the dealer#...

Now that I have not seen...can you post yours here?

biggrin.gif
VRROOMM1
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 23 2010, 03:06 PM) *

biggrin.gif
i would love to but i dont have a scanner.do you remember the old square paper thay gave you for a temp reg at the dmv in cali? thats what i found when i got the glovebox open and i found a owners man and maps from 1968 l.a., regs from 1970-1987 it was realy a find im the thrd owner of the car. its a black 1970 car right from the dealer. thanks doug h
Tom_T
QUOTE(VRROOMM1 @ Aug 23 2010, 02:54 PM) *

biggrin.gif
i would love to but i dont have a scanner.do you remember the old square paper thay gave you for a temp reg at the dmv in cali? thats what i found when i got the glovebox open and i found a owners man and maps from 1968 l.a., regs from 1970-1987 it was realy a find im the thrd owner of the car. its a black 1970 car right from the dealer. thanks doug h

Nice find!!!!

Take a good pic of it & that will work as good or better than a scanner!

Yup, the dealer will be identified on the old pink tag - but IIRC that's an old DMV number assignment (i.e.: not from Jeff's book), so you'll need to see if it states a City for the dealer, or contact a local dealer to see if they have the DMV code book or know the dealer in question (not sure if DMV changed the numbering system since the 70's). Good Luck!

Also, make sure that it's the original sale date for the paper tag, cuz the plates could've changed from the old blue/yellow (black/yellow if sold in 1969 calendar year), or be an out-of-state car, etc. on a resale where the pink temps were used also sometimes (i.e.: the temp. paper plate isn't from the "new car sale"). The reg cards from the 70's will have a box with the "date first sold" in the left-middle area, and that should match the pink temp tag date too.

Jeff - that's the one book I need to fill out my "glovebox kit" for the resto, if you ever see on in great cond. FS around, let me know.
VRROOMM1
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 24 2010, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(VRROOMM1 @ Aug 23 2010, 02:54 PM) *

biggrin.gif

Nice find!!!!

Take a good pic of it & that will work as good or better than a scanner!

Yup, the dealer will be identified on the old pink tag - but IIRC that's an old DMV number assignment (i.e.: not from Jeff's book), so you'll need to see if it states a City for the dealer, or contact a local dealer to see if they have the DMV code book or know the dealer in question (not sure if DMV changed the numbering system since the 70's). Good Luck!

Also, make sure that it's the original sale date for the paper tag, cuz the plates could've changed from the old blue/yellow (black/yellow if sold in 1969 calendar year), or be an out-of-state car, etc. on a resale where the pink temps were used also sometimes (i.e.: the temp. paper plate isn't from the "new car sale"). The reg cards from the 70's will have a box with the "date first sold" in the left-middle area, and that should match the pink temp tag date too.

Jeff - that's the one book I need to fill out my "glovebox kit" for the resto, if you ever see on in great cond. FS around, let me know.

the car was sold on10/03/70 in los angeles at dealer #148
Tom_T
QUOTE(VRROOMM1 @ Aug 24 2010, 04:01 PM) *

That could be a 70 or 71 MY 914, look at your VIN sticker on the rear driver's door jamb 470... or 471.... ~ make sure you enter your car info on your "my controls" (& VIN too) to help track them all!

#148 would be the DMV dealer number - check with another SoCal dealer & they may know, cuz I doubt DMV will be much help.

There is also a DMV Info. Request form where you can download the pdf from their website & send it in with a check for the records you're requesting, but have AAA or DMV see if the VIN & Lic plate are still in their system first (saves the cost of the other). If it's been registered somewhere in the 50 states over that time, then they should still have something on record, but may still cost you to request on the form if in the microfilm archives.
VRROOMM1
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 24 2010, 07:33 PM) *

QUOTE(VRROOMM1 @ Aug 24 2010, 04:01 PM) *

That could be a 70 or 71 MY 914, look at your VIN sticker on the rear driver's door jamb 470... or 471.... ~ make sure you enter your car info on your "my controls" (& VIN too) to help track them all!

#148 would be the DMV dealer number - check with another SoCal dealer & they may know, cuz I doubt DMV will be much help.

There is also a DMV Info. Request form where you can download the pdf from their website & send it in with a check for the records you're requesting, but have AAA or DMV see if the VIN & Lic plate are still in their system first (saves the cost of the other). If it's been registered somewhere in the 50 states over that time, then they should still have something on record, but may still cost you to request on the form if in the microfilm archives.
the car is a1970 vin#4702909650.
Tom_T
QUOTE(VRROOMM1 @ Aug 25 2010, 08:06 AM) *

the car is a1970 vin#4702909650.

The original buyer may have gotten a sweet deal on a 70 then, since the 71's had hit the showroom floor by late Aug. or Sept., but they sold a bit slow in the first couple of years, as the 914 info section shows under production numbers (72-74 were best sales/production years).

Cal DMV may have the selling dealer on their archives - if the car stayed registered (operating or PNO) in any state since then. Unfortunately mine fell out of PNO back in 92/93 while it was stored in my garage on blocks, when DMV failed to send out the reg renewal then wanted me to take in a non-runner to get renewed & smogged & pay $1,000's at just a week late! So the old records on mine were gone. dry.gif

Here's a link for that info request form - which may also work to request for the dealer I.D. (attach copy of the temp tag) -

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inf/inf70.htm

Here's a post on other DMV reg matters to keep the old plates, in case you still have the original blue/yellow CA plates - hang onto them & someone can use them to get reassigned to the car later using this process.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=104349

Good Luck on your search & let us all know who dealer 148 was! beerchug.gif
bembry
I didn't see it on the list (but I could have just missed it):

Does anyone know what the name of the Porsche-Audi place was in Bakersfield, CA late 70s/80s? It's not the same one that's there now.
Tom_T
QUOTE(bembry @ Aug 26 2010, 06:06 AM) *

Does anyone know what the name of the Porsche-Audi place was in Bakersfield, CA late 70s/80s? It's not the same one that's there now.

IIRC Brent,at one point they had to trek to Fresno, Stockton, SLO, Lancaster, Victorville, etc. until one opened in BF, but I don't recall if it opened during the 914 run nor it's name.

Jeff, what MY does this dealer book which you posted above come from?

Brent, try a PM to smg914/Steve G. on here & ask him to look in his 73 MY dealer book for BF (or call his 800# in the AA catalog), cuz his was as of Mar. 73 IIRC for Sahara Beige (the one in "The few, the rare...." O&H nailed threads).
JeffBowlsby
Tom, its in the fine print above. Sept 1973.

No comment from you on my 914S ads in the other thread? confused24.gif
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 23 2010, 09:27 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Of the 17 listed in LA / Calif...I've been to 15 of those.....makes me feel dated.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 27 2010, 09:31 AM) *

Thanx Jeff - 73 should match VROOM's 70 MY 914 & Brent's 73 too.
I don't recall when Bakersfield got their Porsche+Audi dealership - maybe 78?
- do you know Jeff?

I loved that 914S post/pic, but I haven't had a chance to do a post in there yet with Steve G's original 914S plates like that - real NJ & he's an "expert"! biggrin.gif
... I'm traveling thru 9/7, so am limited on my fun stuff! sad.gif
bembry
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 29 2010, 06:20 PM) *

- do you know Jeff?

I loved that 914S post/pic, but I haven't had a chance to do a post in there yet with Steve G's original 914S plates like that - real NJ & he's an "expert"! biggrin.gif

Tom,
I think you're probably right about B-field getting their Porsche+Audi dealership in around '78. That's about as early as I remember it. We had Van Wyk's selling VWs in town though too--I know they had a VW-Porsche dealership (before those went away) on the central coast--like Santa Barbara or Ventura or something. Maybe they had some Porsches early on?
Tom_T
QUOTE(bembry @ Aug 30 2010, 10:52 AM) *

- do you know Jeff?

Tom,
I think you're probably right about B-field getting their Porsche+Audi dealership in around '78. That's about as early as I remember it. We had Van Wyk's selling VWs in town though too--I know they had a VW-Porsche dealership (before those went away) on the central coast--like Santa Barbara or Ventura or something. Maybe they had some Porsches early on?

Brent, IIRC when VOA & Porsche started the seperate dealerships program, they wouldn't allow any VW dealers not willing to pony up the $150-250k to build a separate Porsche+Audi facility (could be on the same site/property - many/most were) to sell Porsches or Audis out of the VW facility after the change in 69/70.

Now maybe a BF VW dearler had an outside deal with one of the surrounding P+A dealers where they got a cut of the sales commission & could work a purchase at a distance as an arranger & have the car delivered to BF for the customer? But if so, then that would be an off the books kind of a thing.

VROOM - did you get what you needed for your 914's info? confused24.gif
... now that we've hijacked your thread with related info for Brent, etc. biggrin.gif
VRROOMM1
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 30 2010, 07:46 PM) *

QUOTE(bembry @ Aug 30 2010, 10:52 AM) *

- do you know Jeff?

Tom,

Brent, IIRC when VOA & Porsche started the seperate dealerships program, they wouldn't allow any VW dealers not willing to pony up the $150-250k to build a separate Porsche+Audi facility (could be on the same site/property - many/most were) to sell Porsches or Audis out of the VW facility after the change in 69/70.

Now maybe a BF VW dearler had an outside deal with one of the surrounding P+A dealers where they got a cut of the sales commission & could work a purchase at a distance as an arranger & have the car delivered to BF for the customer? But if so, then that would be an off the books kind of a thing.

VROOM - did you get what you needed for your 914's info? confused24.gif
... now that we've hijacked your thread with related info for Brent, etc. biggrin.gif
thanks lots of good info, i have to find someone that knows the cali or la dmv codes for the dealers in that year .when i find out i will let you know thanks to all. doug
Tom_T
QUOTE(VRROOMM1 @ Aug 31 2010, 12:40 PM) *

thanks lots of good info, i have to find someone that knows the cali or la dmv codes for the dealers in that year .when i find out i will let you know thanks to all. doug

Try calling or emailing the Mgr at Circle Porsche (can't recall his name & I'm "on the road" away from my Rolodex - yes I still keep one!), but he's a good guy & helpful. Probably why Circle is one of Porsche's Premier dealers! Chances are that they'll know the other local Porsche dealerships' code nos. at least. You can get their contact info off of the Porsche website's dealer locator feature.
bembry
Anyone know if Steve Taub Porsche Audi in Santa Monica was doing business when 914s were sold?

I found something online where a guy bought a car from them in 1978, but can't find much else, other than they recently sold the business.
Tom_T
QUOTE(bembry @ Sep 2 2010, 03:24 PM) *

Anyone know if Steve Taub Porsche Audi in Santa Monica was doing business when 914s were sold?

I found something online where a guy bought a car from them in 1978, but can't find much else, other than they recently sold the business.

Brent - see Jeff's book at post #5 top of page - that was what the Santa Monica dealership was called in 73, & you can compare addresses but they may have moved since then & it's obviously changed hands since your info too.

Nothing shows up in Santa Monica now at their dealer locator -
http://www.porschedealer.com/dealer/usLocator/search.php
VRROOMM1
I FOUND IT! after a year of trying i found the dealer that my car came from bob smith porsche-audi 1751 north cahuenga blvd hollywood ca. dmv#148 that number is all i had to go on and i found it. piratenanner.gif
JeffBowlsby
Keep an eye out for these then...smile.gif
VRROOMM1
yes i would like to find one
loren7025
QUOTE(bembry @ Aug 26 2010, 06:06 AM) *

I'm putting together a 1976 914 that was first sold at Gardner Porsche in Bakersfield. It was later traded in and resold in 1978 at the same dealership which was now named Columbus Porsche. I have the cars owners manual with dealer stamps and dates. Not sure when Van Wyks was selling or their address. Columbus later became Family. Family later moved from the previous Gardner/Columbus location to the 'Auto Mall. Family then moved to a new location in the Auto Mall and became Porsche of Bakersfield.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.