Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What carb set up to use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scoobykvn
I have a 1.7 liter that I want to put carbs on but I am not sure the best setup to use for a small budget. Also, I have a 2.0 liter complete carb setup. Can this setup be used if I buy different manifolds? I am trying to get my car running so I can drive it before the end of this season, then do a lot of work to it over the winter.
Bleyseng
Does it run with the FI or is it a single carb? The best setup is the stock FI..
Borderline
Most of the manifolds for use with Weber carbs can be used on either 1.7/1.8/2.0 engines. The 2.0 manifold has 3 mounting holes and the 1.7/1.8 has 4 mounting holes. The universal manifolds will have slots that will fit either bolt pattern. What carbs do you have? Weber 40's are more often the choice for a relatively stock engine. I've recently put 44's one my 1.9 and it's running fine. biggrin.gif
scoobykvn
I need to double check which carbs I have. But, I did think about just drilling the extra holes in them to make them work on my heads shortly after I made this post. I will probably just put them in a mill and just slot the hole.
scoobykvn
So, I do have weber 40's, but I don't think the manifolds will work on my 1.7. The outer bolt holes on the manifolds are about 10-15mm wider apart than on my 1.7.
scoobykvn
Does this set work well for a stock 1.7?
http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/wk412.htm
dinomium
QUOTE(scoobykvn @ Aug 24 2010, 06:41 PM) *

Does this set work well for a stock 1.7?
http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/wk412.htm

A buddy and former club member, Shane ran those on his 1.7 and loved them. His handle is Red914 if you want to do a search or PM him.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I have run every carb set up on my 1.7 in the last 10 yrs.

1. Single progressive carb, Dave Darling sugests giving the famous " Floot

Test" Find the closest body of water, throw as far as you can. If it floats

keep it.

2. 34 ICT's to small you run out of engine at about 55 mph. Do not try to pass

anything on the highway unless you have a couple of miles of room.

3. Weber 44's , to big for a 1.7

4.Weber 40,s Perfect, I love these, good power all the way up , the only

problem was pluged idle jet , probbly from dirt in the gas, blew them out ,

got a new load of gas and never a problem since.

I highly recomend the 40's . Dave slap.gif
scoobykvn
I actually found some new manifolds so I can run my 40's I already have.
scoobykvn
So I am getting ready to install my carbs this weekend. Is it any problem to use the stock distributor and ignition? I have an MSD ignition and a Mallory electronic distributor. I know it would probably be better to use them, but how necessary is it?
scoobykvn
No information?
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(scoobykvn @ Sep 1 2010, 05:55 PM) *

So I am getting ready to install my carbs this weekend. Is it any problem to use the stock distributor and ignition? I have an MSD ignition and a Mallory electronic distributor. I know it would probably be better to use them, but how necessary is it?

I don't know for sure but I would use the Mallory stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.