Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Picking up another 914 today- NOT!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
So I'll be leaving in a while to pick up another 914. I know I have a disease as this will put me back up to six again. Oh well it's a 74 2.0 that is complete. Ran when parked yadayadayada. Actually he has receipts for the rebuilt motor & transmission. Less than 10k on it since he rebuilt them. Downside is that was in the 90's sometime. It hasn't been started in 15 years. Upside is it has been stored inside the whole time. So while the battery tray has rust. The hell hole isn't bad & the trunks are great. Of course this is all going by talking to the guy. He bought it in like 1980. So barring the hell hole being toast. I will be flat towing it home. I'll post some pictures tonight hopefully biggrin.gif

Okay if this turns out to be another LE I am officially th eluckiest guy you've ever met rolleyes.gif .
RFoulds
Where did you find it??
JRust
Stinking people are rediculous. I was excited to go pick up this 74 2.0 914 today. Guy bought it in 78 & stored it inside all these years. He had driven it maybe 6k since rebuilding the motor. But he said it hadn't been started in 10 years or so on the phone. I asked about hell hole & trunks for rust. He told me the battery tray was rusted but below was nice & solid. Also both trunks were in great shape. Rear trunk is solid with no rust. There is some rust by the windshield. So I drive the 2 & 1/2 hours one way to pick it up for $800 & maybe chew him down a bit. I ask about flat towing it & he says the tires are good. Need to be aired up but I will take care of that before you come.

I get there & it is in his garage & there is barely room to get around it there is so much $hit stacked around it. Passenger side is sitting lower as the tires are completely flat & looked to have been that way without moving for quite a while. No chance in hell those will hold air. I also see a fair amount of green moss on the car everywhere. Kinda like car that has sat ouside uncovered for years below pine trees. I get closer & what do I see but pine needles in every nook & cranny possible. I typically bring 2 spares with me anytime I pick up a car. Just to be safe but I was running a little behind today & would have had to pull them off a car. So since I was told all the tires would be fine I didn't bother. Oh yeah the battery tray & solid hell hole turns out to be. Wait for it you won't be shocked at all. Lying muther phucker. No way he could see it was solid with all the damn pine needles in there. I pull the jack hole plg & the jack post comes with it. Yeah no rust here mad.gif . I am just sitting there fuming at the guy. I'm to dang nice to start yelling at him. I tell him look you told me this had been stored inside the last 20 years. Oh no you misunderstood. I said it was stored that last 20 years. IT's only been in my garage the last 2 months since I moved to this house poke.gif . I say well there is no way I am paying $800 for this. I can't even take it home with me. I'd have to find a tire place to replce these tires just to haul it home. He says I'd take $500 for it. I say I would have paid that if I could actually haul it home now. Considering I can't there is no way. He says well you could come back & pick it up once you get some more wheels. Yeah you did know I was driving 2 & 1/2 hours one way. Meaning I have allready wasted 5 hours of my time coming this time. If you think I am going to do that again & pay $500 you are nuts. I said I'll come back to haul it off & you can give me the title to do it. I won't pay a cent for your car if I come back to get it. I'm not even sure I will do it then.

I could get some good parts out of it. I do belive the drivetrain is solid but would need resealed. It has it's complete FI intact which I could use for sure. IT has nice Eure rear lenses. Bumpers are solid as are the valances. I really could use a fair amount of stuff of the car. I'm just so pissed off right now ar15.gif .
Sleepin
sad.gif That sucks dude!
jcambo7
What an idiot! slap.gif
Ian Stott
Went with my friend to look at a couple of Ghia's and the same bullshit stories, I guess when people are trying to sell a car they think they have a real collectors item or they are just so dishonest you feel you have a legal right to go postal on them. When you finally find a good one you have to check yourself from being skeptical, and insulting someone who is honest and upfront and asking a fair price. My friend finally found a good Ghia and we now go on little runs together, he put a good working 1600 dual port in it which seems to a nice engine for a Ghia.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
914Sixer
What we have here is a FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE. I am sure nearly every one here that has called and been told about the auto in question USUALLY turns out to be worse not better than described.
SLITS
Reasons to avoid looking at a car:

#1. Was running when parked XX years ago (my absolute favorite)

#2. I bought this as a project but don't have time anymore to complete it.

#3. I'm selling it for a friend who has left town and have duplicate title paperwork.

#4. This was abandoned on my property and I have lien sale paperwork.

#5. This is a classic and they are rare.

#6. There is minimal rust.

#7. It has been stored under cover for XX years.

#8. I haven't tried to start it.

#9. Give me a few days to dig it out of __________.

#10. I don't have a camera to forward images.

And so on .............

JRust
I have been burned before this way for sure. It's bound to happen on craigslist. He did not have pictures or a digital camera. I taked with him for a good 20 minutes & asked tons of questions about everything. Especially about it being stored inside. I even said specifically that was one of the reasons I would drive over to check it out. I've had plenty of peoples descriptions suck. Especially about rust. I always expect thecar to be in worse shape than described. I just don't expect people to outright LIE. Pisser is I would still pick up the car if I had brought 2 spares like I usually do. No way I'm make a trip back to do it though.

Oh well. Not like I needed another 914 anyway right rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.