Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/C in 6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
After the hot and humid summer we had on the east coast, I'm thinking it would be really nice to have a/c in my car. Engine will be a 3.2 and I was planning on using athe compressor that comes on the 6 with a stock 914 a/c system. and put the condensor in the front trunk. I would place an auxilary oil cooler next to the trans instead of the usual location behind the front bumper.

Any reason this won't work/shouldn't be done?
carr914
The problem with putting A/C in a -6 is that there is not any room for the compressor. If George can post a picture (or someone has one) of his 916, you will see that they had to cut a hole in the firewall right behind the Drivers Seat for clearence.
mepstein
Maybe I can use an electric compressor from a hybrid car?
ellisor3
I have been researching this as well. I found a company that says that they have done this on a 914 without cutting in the firewall. The total kit is about $1500. I am still months away from going any further, but you might give him a call.

Gilmore Enterprises
pcar916
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 21 2010, 09:56 AM) *

... cut a hole in the firewall right behind the Drivers Seat for clearence.

The dealer made their cut on my car behind the passenger seat and it wasn't pretty. I riveted a plate there that also had guides to hold the engine rubber lip. PITA

I'd almost rather put a pulley on the inside CV flange and run the compressor from there. Not ideal but not in the engine compartment either. Too bad there's no such thing as a package-unit for a car. Plug-and-play every summer, but the alternator would have to be the size of Montana.

I can dream can't I?

Good luck
mepstein
I seem to remember a thread from McMark that mentioned him installing a 3.6 with a/c.
carr914
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Aug 21 2010, 02:48 PM) *

I have been researching this as well. I found a company that says that they have done this on a 914 without cutting in the firewall. The total kit is about $1500. I am still months away from going any further, but you might give him a call.

Gilmore Enterprises

There you are talking about a -4 not a -6. You could get A/C as a Dealer Option in a -4, that's why so many cars have hideous cuts in thier front trunks for the condensor.
bcheney
Check out this link on the Pelican site. It's the nicest a/c bracket I have ever seen for a -6.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...or-bracket.html
bcheney
Additionally, check out this link as the guy who fabricated this set up talks specifically about how he did it and includes mention of the parts and and sources. His name is Clay Perrine. I need to get my six conversion just running first...Then I'll work towards this kind of set-up!! TC's six may be done by 2015 smile.gif

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...ons-any-ac.html
Mark Henry
Who the hell is Clay Perrine wink.gif

I haven't seen Clay post in a little while...maybe we should send out a search party. unsure.gif
carr914
The only place I have Clay post lately has been in the MUSR thread
Gary
Clay's setup is on this old thread. I read somewhere that he busted the cam tower that mount was attached to. Would love to hear where he is with it. Also would love if there was production run of mounts.
ClayPerrine
That mount worked well until it broke the timing chain box. I want to build another that attaches to the motor mount, but I have not had time to even fix my spun rod bearing due to my job.

Sorry I have not been around lately. Last week I put in my timesheet at work, and I had 84 hours. And it has been 3 weeks without a day off. I will be back there tomorrow, and I have 2 more weeks until deployment. Then I can take a break and fix both my engine and the 2.0 for Travis Howard.

jeeperjohn56
Hey Clay, I would like to thank you for your service first, then I would like to thank you,for your dedication to the 914's, Are you planning on making a kit set up for the A/C brackets and pulleys on the 6's for the 914's? I'm like everyone esle, going to put a 6, 3.2 in the new car I aquired yesterday. It's a 73, 1.7 that has A/C on the four. I think there would be a few people in the hot spots of the greater US that would buy them, you can put me first in line. Thanks John driving.gif
ahdoman
Just a comment on your oil cooler location; I had a 2.7 with the cooler in that location. It worked good and was useable but I don't think I would trust anything above a 2.7 with a cooler in that location. My opinion is the system would have to be very efficient with cooling in several locations.
mepstein
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Aug 22 2010, 08:35 PM) *

Just a comment on your oil cooler location; I had a 2.7 with the cooler in that location. It worked good and was useable but I don't think I would trust anything above a 2.7 with a cooler in that location. My opinion is the system would have to be very efficient with cooling in several locations.

I am planning on a 914-6 oil cooler in the stock location on the engine and a remote cooler with an electic fan and thermostate next to the trans. I believe I'll be ok with this setup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.