Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Blew Off Today's Concours or,
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
orthobiz
Grand Rapids 50th Porsche Club anniversary, West Michigan Chapter. Top side concours, more for fun than anything.

BUT...

It was raining in Cadillac, raining on the way down, raining in Grand Rapids, AND even after the rain stopped in GR it rained on the way back in the middle of the afternoon.

So I didn't go. But my car is sure clean.

Am I a wuss? A traitor? Overly sensitive to WATER. I mean, Pat won't even wash his car, right?

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Aug 21 2010, 06:47 PM) *

............... more for fun than anything.

BUT...

Paul

Not in the rain is it fun. And then driving home on semi-damp roads with road grime being thrown on your car by passing (or being passed) 18 wheelers, dump trucks and assorted "lifted" P/U trucks. I've passed on a few concours events myself as not wanting to drive across soft lawns, wet, gravel driveways, or semi-muddy fields. My big excuse, however, is the fact that my marginal rain tray does not afford the rain protection that a good one would provide. The moisture clean up in the engine compartment is a chore that I'd rather not do.

So no, you are not a wuss, just an astute owner who isn't willing to trade many hours of clean-up for a few minutes of glory in the rain.

Paul
tod914
I don't blame you. Takes way too much effort to get it clean again. Last weekend's show rained on the way home. Surprizingly the car didn't get too dirty. I hosed it off when I got home and dried it well. Have to pay more attention to the weather from now on.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Aug 21 2010, 08:47 PM) *

Grand Rapids 50th Porsche Club anniversary, West Michigan Chapter. Top side concours, more for fun than anything.

BUT...

It was raining in Cadillac, raining on the way down, raining in Grand Rapids, AND even after the rain stopped in GR it rained on the way back in the middle of the afternoon.

Am I a wuss? A traitor? Overly sensitive to WATER. I mean, Pat won't even wash his car, right?

Paul

Biz, you did the right thing. Events pop up everywhere, sorta like rust on an early Porshe. But, as you mentioned, I am overly sensitive to water. You could call it Hydrophobia. But, I yam what I yam (Popeye), besides my car isn't running yet - soon to be changed.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Aug 22 2010, 11:18 AM) *

............... more for fun than anything.

BUT...

Paul

Not in the rain is it fun. And then driving home on semi-damp roads with road grime being thrown on your car by passing (or being passed) 18 wheelers, dump trucks and assorted "lifted" P/U trucks. I've passed on a few concours events myself as not wanting to drive across soft lawns, wet, gravel driveways, or semi-muddy fields. My big excuse, however, is the fact that my marginal rain tray does not afford the rain protection that a good one would provide. The moisture clean up in the engine compartment is a chore that I'd rather not do.

So no, you are not a wuss, just an astute owner who isn't willing to trade many hours of clean-up for a few minutes of glory in the rain.

Paul

Mikey? are you listening? Demand where there is no supply. Money to be made here (and here). Have a nt-quite perfect mule if you need it.
Pat
TJB/914

BUT...

Paul

Hi Paul,

I agree, you did the right thing. I went to the Woodward Dream Cruise & went home before dark, I didn't want to turn on my headlights, now that is sick!!!

Tom
orthobiz
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Aug 22 2010, 10:55 PM) *

Hi Paul,

I agree, you did the right thing. I went to the Woodward Dream Cruise & went home before dark, I didn't want to turn on my headlights, now that is sick!!!

Tom

Headlights? I have originals and they just aren't very bright, so I assume it's a safety thing?? Or do you not want to wipe bugs off the lens??

Paul
tod914
I still have my original headlamps ... in a Euro Hella H4 box wink.gif I'd replace them. Headlights are not judged anyway. My night vission is pretty bad, and those tungsten beams are bad news. Went with two reckomendations from this board, departing from original .. good headlamps and good tires.
orthobiz
Headlamps not judged?

Paul
BarberDave
Paul; smilie_pokal.gif

If your a wuss, so am I stayed home for the same reason. Damn weather ,

to make it worse my son said he would come and stay with my wife.

Tom, Same; reason for not makeing the Dream Cruise.

OH WELL DAVE slap.gif
BS Chairman
Hi Guys,
It's been at least four years from my last post. What brings me back? I can't believe what I'm reading. Water, I don't want to use my headlights, rain. How old are you guys-8-9 or 10. I've own show cars for at least 30 years and you know not one--let say this again not one has melted not one. I've drove, from Mi to Md, Mn, Pa, NY,W Va. And have taken many first places and some Peoples Choice with my cars. My car that I have now I drove back from Fl in the rain and dark with my lights on and oh the Bugs, guess what I wash it all off! Porsche built theses cars to drive and enjoy not sit in a cover and become old and not used. Events that I'm talking about were or are 914 or PCA, second in class at the 50th parade and I drove 700 miles. An oh, did I say about the rain on the way, there was road tar, and bugs,? Cleaned on Friday, won on Sat. Now that I ran my big mouth let me say that for some events if it's raining I will not go, but, then again Tom has rode in my Six in the rain to a VW show. Thanks for letting me run off, however I'm sure that each of you will have something to say to me. But, that's whats so great about car guys, each has his thoughts about how to care for his/her car. I have included a link to my 71 about 24 hrs after I got home. If I have a 914 event here in Michigan next spring is anyone willing to come? Just a thought.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gary.stellmach...feat=directlink
TJB/914
QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Aug 26 2010, 04:54 PM) *

Hi Guys,
It's been at least four years from my last post. What brings me back? I can't believe what I'm reading. Water, I don't want to use my headlights, rain. How old are you guys-8-9 or 10. I've own show cars for at least 30 years and you know not one--let say this again not one has melted not one. I've drove, from Mi to Md, Mn, Pa, NY,W Va. And have taken many first places and some Peoples Choice with my cars. My car that I have now I drove back from Fl in the rain and dark with my lights on and oh the Bugs, guess what I wash it all off! Porsche built theses cars to drive and enjoy not sit in a cover and become old and not used. Events that I'm talking about were or are 914 or PCA, second in class at the 50th parade and I drove 700 miles. An oh, did I say about the rain on the way, there was road tar, and bugs,? Cleaned on Friday, won on Sat. Now that I ran my big mouth let me say that for some events if it's raining I will not go, but, then again Tom has rode in my Six in the rain to a VW show. Thanks for letting me run off, however I'm sure that each of you will have something to say to me. But, that's whats so great about car guys, each has his thoughts about how to care for his/her car. I have included a link to my 71 about 24 hrs after I got home. If I have a 914 event here in Michigan next spring is anyone willing to come? Just a thought.

Dang!!! The sheriff's back in town headbang.gif He's mad, I didn't take enough photo's of his white lightening 914 @ Woodward!!!

Tom rolleyes.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Aug 26 2010, 06:54 PM) *

Hi Guys,

If I'm moved back to Cincy by then....you bet I'll be there!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.