Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine stumbles on hard turn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
Every time I make a hard(very hard) right turn, the motor stumbles for just a second coming out of the turn. It's as if you turn the key off for a second. I've checked the fuel pump. It's mounted solid and the wiring cannot make contact with any part of the body. CHT wire is ok.
Any sugesstions as to what else to check? Could it be the fuel pump itself?

Oh, 75 2.0 FI.

Thanks, Curt
SirAndy
ground or other wire loose.

check the wires on the fuel pump. grounds on the engine block. connectors on the relay board. relays in their sockets on the RB.
spark plugs and wires tight? dizzy and coil tight?

low on fuel?

confused24.gif Andy
lapuwali
I believe someone else also mentioned that loose injector connectors will do the same thing. I had a single loose injector connector on a Golf once, and it would cut out and stumble over any rough surface, or any bump. Took forever to figure it out.
nebreitling
yeah, that would be me. check the wires going into the injector connections. under hard cornering, i would generate enough force for one of these to just barely come out, cutting out fuel to one cylinder briefly. crazy, but it happened.

and, of course, what everyone else said...

good luck, curt

n
TheCabinetmaker
Had already tried most of that. Grounds are good. all conections are tight. I could have a bad injector seal? Or a weak fuel pump? It's sometimes louder than it should be. Hmm, I have two more pumps. Won't take long to swap and go for good hard driving.gif
Mark Henry
Full fuel tank or near empty, does it make a differance? Have you ever cleaned the tank?

There is a screen in the bottom of the tank and if it's full of crud it can cause problems.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 14 2004, 06:49 AM)
Every time I make a hard(very hard) right turn, the motor stumbles for just a second coming out of the turn.
Any sugesstions as to what else to check?
Thanks, Curt

Kurt,

Quit making hard right turns....

Do three hard left turns instead.

laugh.gif
tracks914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 14 2004, 12:40 PM)
There is a screen in the bottom of the tank and if it's full of crud it can cause problems.

Mark, is it much work to clean it?
SirAndy
QUOTE(joseph222 @ Apr 14 2004, 01:49 PM)
Do three hard left turns instead.

that's a good one! laugh.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Mark, cleaned tank a year ago. checked screen last week. Full or empty= no diff

Joseph, Isn't three left turns called NASCAR? laugh.gif

I did not get a chance to switch the fuel pumps today, nor did I get to drive it afterwards. My son in law thinks his new 2.0L comes first. wacko.gif

I'll try again tomorrow
Mark Henry
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Apr 14 2004, 05:45 PM)
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 14 2004, 12:40 PM)

Mark, is it much work to clean it?

Well yes and no.... It's easy enough to do, look at the bottom of the tank, it's the big nut thing where the one fuel line comes out. Take it off and you will see what looks like an AL washer, that's the flange of the screen, and you just pull it out.

The hard part, on an old one, is to get the screen out without ripping it apart. The good news is a new one is less than $10., and you can get one at almost any bug shop or P-part supplier.

Don't over torque it when you put it back on.

BTW this fuel line is the out to pump.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.