Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AllZim CV Joints - Not OEM
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
avidfanjpl
There is a tech note that the AllZim CV joints are slightly different than the Porsche/Lobro CV's that are NLA.

Anyone ever use Zim? Any problems?

Thanks!

John
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Aug 22 2010, 02:54 PM) *

There is a tech note that the AllZim CV joints are slightly different than the Porsche/Lobro CV's that are NLA.

Anyone ever use Zim? Any problems?

Thanks!

John

The only difference is that the boots have holes where the dowel pins go, and the factory original boots do not. The rest is identical. And they are OEM VW parts.

I put a number of sets of them on while working there.

avidfanjpl
THanks!

And I have a set of original OEM boots, so maybe I do a combo?

And it is not normal for the cv to come apart when taking it off? All the insides are severely scored, but it did not blow apart.

Thanks!

John
VaccaRabite
Yeah, the come apart easy when not on the axle.
I have a NOS 914 CV that is apart in the box. No wear at all, is just fell apart in the box.

Zach
avidfanjpl
Zach

What makes them spin and not work any more? Stretched out cage?

This one just spun and spun. Nothing to the halfshaft, and wear is evident.

Thanks!

John
jaxdream
Check the internal splines and the splines on the axle. Also check to see if all the splines fit up when assembled, VW's were known to strip the splines out of the rear brake hub being the hub and brake drum were cast together from a cast iron alloy , although the 914 cv's and axles are of a harder material , still possible that the splines could be stripped out, or a cv with oversized internal spline was used .Good luck ...

Jack / Jaxdream
pcar916
Wear is on several surfaces.

1. The balls shrink a little and sometimes gall (removing metal... pitting).
2. The cages wear in the spot where the balls sit. That's why you can take the axles out and switch sides of the car. The balls wear a different part of the cage when the CV rotates in the opposite direction.
3. If the ball-wear surfaces on the inside or outside pieces are galled then it's toast
4. A little grooving is OK.

They seldom explode. Frankly if the grease is kept fresh and there's enough of it they'll last a really long time.
Eric_Shea
We've had extensive experience with CV's. Good and Bad. Make sure they're GNK/Loebro and you should be fine. They are Type1 CV's with the extra pin holes machined.

Meyle CV's extend too far and crack the cage causing premature failure. This happened on a CV I sold to McMark. He was turning out of a driveway apron and powering on the car. We summised that caused the failure do to the fact that the Meyles could extend to the point of damaging that cage. We then compared the Loebro, Meyle and stock CV's side by side. The Loebro and stock CV have the same travel.

From that point forward I only stocked the Loebro's. Never had a problem from that point forward either.
realred914
I have seen two sized balls used on 914 CVs. big and small. I was told the small ones were from a VW, the larger balls were stock 914. anyone know if the VW ones sold by Zims are big are small ball CV's?
Eric_Shea
anyone know if the VW ones sold by Zims are big are small ball CV's?

If they're GNK/Loebro they are the same. Even the Meyle Type1 CV's had the same size balls. So... VW CV's all seem to have the same size balls as found on the stock 914 CV.
realred914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 23 2010, 08:34 AM) *

anyone know if the VW ones sold by Zims are big are small ball CV's?

If they're GNK/Loebro they are the same. Even the Meyle Type1 CV's had the same size balls. So... VW CV's all seem to have the same size balls as found on the stock 914 CV.

so where did teh small and large ball CV's come from? Ihave had more than one 914 that had the small balls were as teh big ones seem more common. I have had one 914 with small on one side, large on the other side. when ever i can I use the large ball CV.

Eric_Shea
QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 23 2010, 09:52 AM) *

so where did teh small and large ball CV's come from? Ihave had more than one 914 that had the small balls were as teh big ones seem more common. I have had one 914 with small on one side, large on the other side. when ever i can I use the large ball CV.

Beats me...

Another closed thread... I'm going to re-open it. Looks like there's a bug here somewhere.
brant
John,

usually they fall apart (balls out of the cage) during disassembly if a person pulls inboard on the axle to get them loose. Or in other words, the balls fall out most often when they are stretched apart, rather than during use

during use, I've only seen them fall apart when the cage is broken.
yours may likely be shot, but they probably were still together if your cage is intact.

also if realred has seen different size balls, that probably means that he is looking at remanufactured joints. I believe that CV's used to be remanufactured by cutting the cages out larger and installing larger balls
(cutting the grooves in the center part larger also)

I believe this means they have been remanufactured...

brant
Eric_Shea
during use, I've only seen them fall apart when the cage is broken

agree.gif Cages break... CV breaks.
avidfanjpl
Thanks, All!

As usual, the 914 secret sauce runs deep.

I am changing both tranny side ones to be safe.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.