Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SA95 Helmet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
How much longer will my low use SA95 helmet be good for? Anyone know for sure?
ArtechnikA
most sanctioning bodies accept the current certification and one back.
2000 is current, 95 is the prior. they tend to come in 5-yr cycles,
so we can expect a 2005 rating that would effectively obsolete the
95's. it took a long time into 2000 for the 2000-spec helmets to
arrive, so my helmet - bought well into 2000 - is still a SA95, so i'm
in the same boat.

as always - read the rulebook, check with the safety chair of the
sanctioning body with which you expect to run.
--
Regards,
rich rkh @ ArtechnikA.com
See us at the Hershey Swap Meet, Spaces F59->61
machina
It depends on the rules of the club. PCA. POC, SCCA, NASA are all different.

Most auto-x events are not too strict about this. SCCA is very strict. They tech your helmet every event, your car only gets teched once per year.

dr
smg914
For CLub Racing purposes they recommend you replace your helmet every 5 years unless it is rarely used. I believe you will no longer be able to use your SA95 for Club Racing after the 2004 season. Hopefully you will be able to use your SA95 until the SA05's are available. Sometimes your old helmet expires before the newest helmets are available. Just remember, if you use your helmet on a regular basis, it would be smarter to replace it sooner than later.
seanery
Thanks for the info guys. My helmet has been used about 10 times or so. I've been thinking about a Hans when the bluecar is done and wanted to know if I should pop for a new helmet now, or later. Later-next year, sounds like it's about right.
machina
just checked the 2004 scca gcr, sa95 is still allowed.

dr
VegasRacer
Sean - I am in the same situation. I want to buy a Hans and I will need to get a new helmet next year. Most groups have a 10 year limit. They do give you a few extra months until the new batch of helmets are available. In 1995 the new ones were out in February. In 2000 it was a little longer before many people could find helmets with the current certification.

In October I will start contacting the suppliers to try and get a new 2005 helmet. I want to get a Bieffe again.
campbellcj
Yep, for most of the groups I have checked, 2004 is the end of the road for SA95 brainbuckets. I am just hoping I can "float" the time gap until the SA2005's come out.

I personally have not run into many cases where helmet stickers were diligently tech'ed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.