Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More D-jet questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lennies914
Okay, I would like some input on this cuz I don't know chit about it.

I just picked up a '76 2.0 GC with a D-jet on it. PO told me that it is not the original d-jet, but it ran great (back in the day).

Here's what I got; 044 ECU with a 043 MPS. (which I believe are compatable)

From what I found it should have a 051 ECU with a 043 MPS.

Difference being the 044 has no over-run shut off circuit and five waveform generators in the speed control circuit.

The 051 has an over-run shut off circuit and four waveform generators.

So here's the question; What does this mean to me? I don't know what over-run and waveform generators mean.

Any information is much apreciated! beer.gif

Also it came with an extra MPS (041) that I find no info on as far as an application.
avidfanjpl
Hey Lennie,

Real simple. Get a 5850 rev limiter rotor, and you will never blow it up.

Shift at 5000 and you won't exceed torque rating anyhow. There is no power past 5000, no matter who tells you what with a stock 2.0L DJet engine.

If you are not stock, I can't help you. I know the 2.0L stock DJet runs out of oomph at 4900, but 5000 is easy to see. You can hear it too.

Good luck, and if it runs OK, and not rich or has a bad idle or warmup, just drive the car.

Look around for one of the matching parts, but I would keep the MPS and look for the right ECU.

Both are very reliable, but ECU's are pretty important in the overall.

Not that the car will run with a broken MPS, but just drive, she said.

John
Lennies914
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Aug 22 2010, 07:30 PM) *

Hey Lennie,

Real simple. Get a 5850 rev limiter rotor, and you will never blow it up.

Shift at 5000 and you won't exceed torque rating anyhow. There is no power past 5000, no matter who tells you what with a stock 2.0L DJet engine.

If you are not stock, I can't help you. I know the 2.0L stock DJet runs out of oomph at 4900, but 5000 is easy to see. You can hear it too.

Good luck, and if it runs OK, and not rich or has a bad idle or warmup, just drive the car.

Look around for one of the matching parts, but I would keep the MPS and look for the right ECU.

Both are very reliable, but ECU's are pretty important in the overall.

Not that the car will run with a broken MPS, but just drive, she said.

John

Thanks John, I am not planning on anything over and above stock and I really don't drive them that hard anyhow. I am going to remove all the smog stuff and run it. I just wanted to make sure that the combo I have won't damage anything and give me all it's got. I'll look into the rev limiter.
orange914
when i had to peice a 2.0 d-jet together i used a 051 (75-6). i'm not sure if the "overun" refers to the rev limiting the newer years have or the (extra)decel leaning curcuit that is supossed to help improve m.p.g. and emisions.

mike
Bleyseng
A 75-76 ECU is the 052 and uses the 043 MPS same as the 74's. The 044 ECU will work fine with the 043 MPS if it hasn't been tampered with.

The advantage of the 052 is the fuel cutoff circuit. That was used on the early 1970 914's too, but what it does is when you lift off the throttle the fuel is cutoff above 1500 rpms. Its great for improved gas mileage as I can average 30mpg on my built up 2056. The ECU also runs a slightly leaner AFR than the 044 via the wave generator.
The speed limiter is a rpm cutoff but I haven't really fooled around with that..I just install a rpm limiting rotor if I am going to AX the car.
I think the fuel cutoff is the stop dumping all that extra fuel into the system on decel which is alot of raw fuel.

The 041 MPS is off a 72 914/412 1.7L.

The limiting factor on a stock motor is the valve springs, as they give up at 5000rpms. Switch em to HD and you can rev to 5500rpms but you still won't have much HP.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.