Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: first 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warpig
I am looking for advice on upgrades to put in> I am thinking of switching to duel carbs and an aftermarket exhaust, in the hopes of going with forced aspiration in the future. It runs now and that is fine but would like to start collecting parts in order to do a total rebuild int the next year or so. I am looking for advice on building a reliable car with more hp and torque than really necessary but the street not the track. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Bleyseng
For street the Ljet Fuel Injection is sweet combined with a Raby cam powered 2056. Thats about 115hp which transforms the car! 115hp is what the 70-72 2.0L six had.
Installed better heads (LE180's) with HD valve springs etc and it will rev to 5500 with HP...
Rootwerks is doing a conversion thread right now......look for it.
Spoke
welcome.png

Post some pics. Let's see your ride. You've come to the right place for advice, help, and self-imposed harassment. JK.

You're right that you want to get your car reliable as 35+ year old cars need a lot of TLC to get them to the point where you're not working on them as much as you drive them.

About more HP, there are lots of engines and engine builds to get the job done. Most require lots of money and most require lots of engine work, either just on the engine (T4 big bore, etc.) or modifying the chassis to accept an engine not designed for the 914 (V6, V8, Subaru -4 or -6, or Porsche /6).

Aftermarket devices like exhaust, cold air intake have minimal effect on the engine. A 75HP engine isn't going to jump to 100+ HP with some simple mods. Just get your car running good then look into the alternatives. 914's were never the fastest cars but they handle better than most.

One warning though about engine rebuild or swap - when you rebuild your engine or install some other engine, your car will likely be down for a long period of time (months to years), cost much more money than you originally planned, and hopefully you enjoy working on your car as much as you like driving your car.
Root_Werks
welcome.png

Yes, post some pictures of you're new 914!

Carb's won't get you any power increase if the internals of the engine are all stock. Leave the FI on the engine. That's a mid 30's mpg set up easy. Carbs will down that to low 20's. sad.gif
underthetire
agree.gif

Plan, plan, plan, then start getting parts. Really sucks buying parts then deciding to go a different direction. I bought a 2.0, thinking I would build a 2056, now i'm looking for a Suby 6.
realred914
you may not be happy with the carbs with teh stock cam, and exhaust system. you have the very restrictive california exhaust on a 1975 if stock. you can gain a bunch of power and lower temps on teh engine by replacing the exhaust headers with the early ones the stainless steel ones flow even better than factory ones, this allow you to keep the heater. other options eliminate the heater but off more flow. the stainless ones will really wake up the car (I have some for sale, pm if interested!)

you likely have a smog pump rid your self of that and gain some more power.

one thing to keep in mind is that califfornazia may at any time backdate smog testing to older cars (nearly every year a bill is sponsered to do this in the state house, them crack pots get close to passing it too) so dot get to wild on this car with modifications that cant be put back, else you can loose the whole investment in upgrades if they decide to smog test you.

if your planning super charging, get carbs that are set up for it if you do a blow thru system, the carbs have to be able to handle the pressure.

also bring your babnk account, some of these modification can be very pricey.

good luck
gazzar
QUOTE(warpig @ Aug 23 2010, 09:06 AM) *

I am looking for advice on upgrades to put in> I am thinking of switching to duel carbs and an aftermarket exhaust, in the hopes of going with forced aspiration in the future. It runs now and that is fine but would like to start collecting parts in order to do a total rebuild int the next year or so. I am looking for advice on building a reliable car with more hp and torque than really necessary but the street not the track. Any info is greatly appreciated.

I have the same spec car and am hopng to go the 2056 route what do we need !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.