Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny Output Flange Play
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhcb914
I resealed my tranny over the winter and didn't notice too much play in either of the output flanges. I did replace the drivers flange with one from a doner trans because years ago I had the CV bolts back out and it ovaled the hole for the roll pin. I figured since the flanges have to come off to reseal the tranny I may as well change the flange. Now when I checked the CV bolts I noticed I can move that flange up and down, while the other side has minimal play. Is this something to be concerned with or is it just normal?

I plan to unbolt the CV and make sure the bolt didn't back out holding the flange to the dif.

Thoughts?
jaxdream
One side tight the other not the same ...best remove and check , the wobble / wiggle up and down is not good , if lucky the flange is the bad part not the inside of the diff where the flange slides into and bolts down . Check it out .......

Jack / Jaxdream
pcar916
There should be no play up and down. Period.

I'd take the CV off and double-check the torque on the flange bolt. Once it's torqued down into the diff the carrier bearings under preload keep it from any up-an-down or side-to-side movement.

Did you replace the o-ring on the diff side-plate? Are you sure the diff side-plate is torqued properly as well? Something's amiss.

Good luck!
rhcb914
Didn't replace the O-ring seal on the dif plate so none of that changed. The only piece that was different was the output flange.

I'll check the tourque on the flanges. If that checks out how can I tell if the flange is bad? Are there some measurements to check? Should I try a few others and take the best fit?

Thanks for the replies so far!
pcar916
QUOTE(rhcb914 @ Aug 23 2010, 06:32 AM) *

Didn't replace the O-ring seal on the dif plate so none of that changed. The only piece that was different was the output flange.

I'll check the tourque on the flanges. If that checks out how can I tell if the flange is bad? Are there some measurements to check? Should I try a few others and take the best fit?

Thanks for the replies so far!

The flange bottoms on the end inside the diff. If there is any play up and down then it isn't bottomed out. If the bolt is torqued properly there is no way for it to have up-and-down play unless there is a foreign object in there keeping it from seating.

The only washer is the one outside and under the bolt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.