Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Polished my rims
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfish914
Not perfect but I really like how they turned out.
they started out looking like this, powder coated
Click to view attachment
with a little help from an end grinder to remove the powder coat from the paddles
Click to view attachment
a lot of sanding, I mean A LOT of sanding
Click to view attachment
wet sanding and a coat of paint
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

They are fake, I know, that is the only reason I attempted to refinish them. I can't wait to bolt them on. Just thought I would share. If I can do this I think most every one on this board could also.
tradisrad
very nice.
jsayre914
agree.gif

your hard work payed off, nice job
Gigamight
I'm impressed.

What grit did you use, and in what stages? Did you use any compounds?

I like it a lot, you should be very proud.
kfish914
I started off with an end grinder wheel for removing paint purchased at Menard's, then started with 400 grit to remove the big scratches then 600, then 800, then once it "felt smooth" to the touch moved on to 1000 grit until it started to shine. then finished off with a wet sanding of 2000 grit. Then I moved onto a paste made by Blue Magic called "Metal Polish Cream". I was thinking about hitting them again with a buffing wheel and some more Polishing compound for aluminum.

By the way it only cost me about $50 bucks in sanding supplies and polishing cream. Most of it I already had on hand.
ME733
.KITFISH 914 ..your wheels look great!.....I refinished my fuchs last year, so I know the pain, grief and anguish you just went through...It was a project that after a while, you wondered if it could ever be finished... are your knuckles and wrists still vibrating from the polisher???...my hope for your early recovery....murray....Great job.
Drums66
...Good job, bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.