Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor Mount Question!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ductech
I Just bolted in my mount for my subaru motor. Whilst fabricating this i had left the trans hanging and i must have pulled forward on the assembly while fabbing cause when all bolted up the motor is trying to pull the trans forward about ten or so mm.
Now I have a pit of the stomach feeling that this will eventually break. Tell me what you guys think. Look at the angle the mounts go at. Bottom line do you guys think i should go back and mod the motor cradle so it will let the trans rest in its normall position.
Click to view attachment
realred914
yeah see what is easist to do, move teh motor or the tranny mount points. V8 conversions often have the tranny set back a inch or more with extender plates (I think the conversion vendors sell them, or easy to make with metal plate) this will allow you to custom move the tranny. make sure the tranny is also at correct level too, not just front to rear, but also up to down.

give teh movable extended tranny mount option a thought, it seems easy, just buy and install, verses re-doing your motor mounts, which might be more work.

i agree the tranny should not be subjeced to the current mounting, could ruin the rubber mounts or worse, over stress the tranny (ears) the long ears that the mount is bolted thru. they can break right off the tranny case!

check out the move the tranny option.folks do do it, for added room for V8's

how is your subaru overall, got more photos of the build to post?????

how about cooling, any photos?????

good luck
Ductech
well i'm in the garage right now working on it. I decided that in agreeance the trans should not be subjected to the angle . so i'm removing the motor mount. I built an ugly cradle out of 1/4 inch plate. that connects to the stock motor mount cross bar. What i'm gonna do is slot the holes in the plate at the front of my mount where it connects to the cross bar. that way the whole assembly can move forward or back a inch or so. I made the bolt holes there with a unibit. and went just one size up from the bolt shank so there isn't much adjustability. Call it being naive. I dont really want to move the trans around to much as i'm going to try and get the stock shifter setup modified to go around my new motor. I dont want to do a cable shifter right now. Cooling system will be radiator mounted over motor in the stock motor lid area. Haven't started mocking that up yet. mostly trying to focus on getting a good foundation built. and making sure i dont break some trans ears. Thanks you helped me realise that my fabricating senses were tingling for a reason...... cause it wasn't right yet. Will post more pics in the future. I'm currently trying to assemble this project as fast as possible. IT is a 74 1.8 with a subaru phase on ej22 out of a early legacy. stock legacy ecu. Home made fuel injection harness. I used to be a motorcycle Dyno tech, at a Ducati Shop so FI does not scare me. Neither does german enginering, what scares me are italian electronics! I'll keep you all posted. Might even start a Build thread!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Ductech @ Aug 23 2010, 10:16 AM) *
Bottom line do you guys think i should go back and mod the motor cradle so it will let the trans rest in its normall position.

Yes. And while you're in there, flip those cup-washers. They are upside down ...

shades.gif Andy
Ductech
Hold up a second? The cup washers you mean the washer that is wedged inbetween the trans mount rubber and the ear? thats funny cause thats how it was when i took it apart. I haven't messed with those parts actually. But good catch. I sometime's forget about the previous owner syndrome. so the cup is supposed to help hold the rubber in i imagine?
Ductech
finished slotting motor cradle to crossbar mounts. Should give me 2 inches of movement front to back. Before I had about 3 mm.

Will post more when i get back from installing and flipping the trans cup washers
SirAndy
QUOTE(Ductech @ Aug 23 2010, 12:16 PM) *
so the cup is supposed to help hold the rubber in i imagine?

The cup prevents the transmission from sliding off the bolts ...

shades.gif Andy

Not the best of pics:

IPB Image
Ductech
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 23 2010, 12:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Ductech @ Aug 23 2010, 12:16 PM) *
so the cup is supposed to help hold the rubber in i imagine?

The cup prevents the transmission from sliding off the bolts ...

shades.gif Andy

Not the best of pics:

IPB Image

Thanks for the pic sirandy. I'll go right ahead and fix that now that im in there. God i wish my 914 had that motor your has. That being said the suby i'm throwing in is more of an experiment in mind numbing conversion's But oh man i wish I had the money to do motor swap proper!! I'd go 911 motor in a heartbeat!
Ductech
Hey anyone know where the trans ground strap should be secured to the transmission. I have another previous owner cockup i believe. the trans strap was wedged inbetween the cup washer and the rubber mount on my trans ear!

Where does this connect to the trans on a stock 914?
Ductech
Ahhh Issue resolved. Moved the motor back about 3/4 of an inch and down about 1/4 of an inch. the trans mounts sit nice and perpendicular to the frame mount. I also while crawling around in the dirt under the car, managed to flip those cup washer's so my trans doesn't go "flying" down the interstate. No more jack stands soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.