Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: April Excellence Magazine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
We often complain that our cars don't get their due. If you haven't already, pick up a copy of April's Excellence Magazine. It's got heavy 914 content:

Commentary - about making the 914 more of a daily driver.

10 best "Driver's Cars" - includes laudatory comments from David Coleman (obviously a 914 fan), Bruce Anderson, Pete Stout and Jerry Seinfeld.

(Of course, there were a handful of idiotic, factory lackeys who couldn't see past their whine and cheese 911 attitude, and even two who placed the PepperVagen in the top ten. finger.gif )

I'll let you read the article to learn where the 914 placed in the rankings, and above which models.

All in all, a great read. Pick up a copy.

-Rusty smoke.gif
jonwatts
Wait a minute. Aren't you still on the other side of the world? This is the first I've heard about the April issue (no I don't subscribe, I only check it out if I happen to be at Fry's). Not sure what month it is there but it's April here so I hope the Arpil issue is still on the magazine rack.

Thanks for the heads-up. To the rest of you, shame shame shame.
Qarl
Yes... the issue has been out for about 6 weeks now.
Mueller
Hey L,

this was posted back about a month ago.....we'll cut you some slack smile.gif

914club post

Jon,

you have no excuse, had you paid more attention to the 914club site and not spend so much time trying to find nude pictures of Lt Uhura from Star Trek, you might have seen the thread..... wacko.gif
Bleyseng
Hey, I missed the posting of the nekked pics of Lt Uhura! Hope these were when she was young and not recently taken.

Saw the issue and its cool the 914/6 made the top ten Porsche drives and the 914 2.0l just missed. The reasons about it being a pure drivers car and the old Porsche feel are so true. Maybe Porsche could instill that back into their cars? Nah, they are too corporate now.

Geoff
jonwatts
Hey how'd you know I had a thing for her? She was hot with that big ole chrome lug nut hanging out of her ear....
red914
nude pictures of Lt. Uhura?

one of the directors at the school where i work drives a boxster s; he told me about the excellence article, and promised to bring it for me next clinical meeting. now i am really looking forward to it!
Brad Roberts
Pete Stout called me several weeks ago about doing a all T4 issue with 3 different T4 powered cars. He is wanting to do a Raby 2270 in his car and do a write up on the build.

We will see what happens. He said he had ignored the 914 for too long and it was time for a change.

B
Rusty
Pete Stout wrote some nice things in the article.
This is lofty company for the 914, but this little Porsche defines the term 'Driver's Car.'  Conservation of speed is everything here - slow down in a 914 and you can't count on big power to get you back up to speed.  Get it right and even 80 hp is enough to maintain a shattering pace on a back road - all due to a superb mid-engined chassis.  Ultra-light, agile and responsive, the 914 chassis was let down only by engines choked down with politics.

I wonder if the change in attitude about the 914 is, in part, driven from the factory.

If the 914 is finally accepted as a "true" Porsche, then the factory can claim a classic lineage for flagging Boxter sales. confused24.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
wheelo
So True... agree.gif
VW is selling like hotcakes still after all these years!
The 914 will always be "looked-at" as a bastard stepchild by the ignorant "purist"
Once behind the wheel... driving.gif ... things become
clearer...(enter slogan) DRIVERS WANTED !
I always loved my car's KARMEN body,
and VW-Porsche,stigma... aktion035.gif
Look at the "Harley Davidson" mentality, My Suzuki VS1400 Intruder is a far better ride, at 1/3 the price!
Do you __FEEL __me ? on this....
No inferiority complex here...
We've got the goods... let them eat cake! smilie_flagge24.gif
davep
I got the May issue a week ago, and April was gone from the shelves.
Brad Roberts
The change in attitude:

Pete sold his commuter car and wants to start driving his 914 again daily. He has been and always will be a 914 guy.

Pete is the feature editor for Excellence. His acquaitance was about the only good thing that came out of my living in Novato.

B
red914
i have never even seen a copy; how can i get one?
Brad Roberts
Barnes and Noble.. Borders.. they all carry Excellence. It is geared more towards the people who spend money (some 911 guy's) but they typically have really good articles and event coverage.

B
Hawk
Here's the previous post just to tie them together for others.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...&f=2&t=8631&hl=
Rusty
Brad, I meant the climate for the 914 in the P-world seems to be more positive than I've ever seen it the last couple of years.

All,

If you want a Porsche magazine, subscribe to Excellence. It's a whole different league than the PCA rag, Panorama.

There's always something interesting to read, usually some 914 coverage somewhere in the magazine.

-Rusty smoke.gif
The other decent mag that I often see at the mainstream bookshops is 911 and Porsche world. It's a british publication, but they generally focus on DYI articles and have some 914 content
lmcchesney
Hump????
I've been with this forum and others for a short while and I realize people cylce interest/time requirments. Buuuuttttttt, I can't believe that the best source of assessing the quality and capability of the 914 is outside these fourms. Seems a continuation of the, "Self Importance", of our media. Sorry, I put much more value, as should the advertising companies, in assessment from people like Brad, Andy, Seanery, Geoff, DD and others. And, no, that IS peanut butter on my nose. Sorry for the rant.

Why Idolize the 914 now? Why are people thanking me for my time in Southeast Asia now when they peed on my shoes in the 70's. It provides a benifit. Like someone said, the Boxter hasn't done well. So not well, that boxters will now look like a 911. For God's sake, Porsche came out with an SUV!! Could Porsche be thinking of coming out with a middle class population Porsche? Could the concept car of Motor Trend be a omen? Conspiricy theory? I'm not sure but, yes, Castro was on the Grassy Knowl in 63 and GW was flying the plane into the WTC.

L. Mcchesney
Brad Roberts
"L"

I think it is because the 914 sits on the grid at most races with 30 year newer cars only a few spots from "Pole Position". How long can you ignore a car that continues to kick ass at every event ? Sooner or later people will take notice. I think it is happening.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.