Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 205/50 or 205/60 tires?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
avidfanjpl
Detox Cowboy bought new Goodyear GT's with a 280 rating for under 500 bucks installed.

I like Goodyears.

ANYTHING BUT the Sumitomo HTR 200's that came with the car.

I looked at the 205/60 Yokohamas with the arrow tread.

I have a bud with an S4 that likes Yokohamas, but he has all weather.

I don't need all weather. Summer only is fine for me.

Unlike Detox, I don't drive at all in weather in SoCal. Have a G35 for that.

But, most importantly Detox said the 50 series are too hard to enjoy just farting around driving to the beach and regular stuff, so the Kumho's and all the other 50 series are probably no fun.

Anyone have any other 60 series they really like that stick well?

Still looking and when I finish the CV's, Clutch cable, new Monza muffler and speedo, I will finally be ready to September Autocross.

I could also pick up a set of wheels and mount something for autocross only, but I am not sure. Bruce Stone may still have some 5.5 Gurneys that may work.

I am not sure I can run stock with 6 inch Empi/Minilite types?

Anyone know from PCA on this issue.

I have nothing but a totally stock 73 2.0L

Thanks!

John
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Aug 24 2010, 11:50 PM) *

Detox Cowboy bought new Goodyear GT's with a 280 rating for under 500 bucks installed.

I like Goodyears.

ANYTHING BUT the Sumitomo HTR 200's that came with the car.

I looked at the 205/60 Yokohamas with the arrow tread.

I have a bud with an S4 that likes Yokohamas, but he has all weather.

I don't need all weather. Summer only is fine for me.

Unlike Detox, I don't drive at all in weather in SoCal. Have a G35 for that.

But, most importantly Detox said the 50 series are too hard to enjoy just farting around driving to the beach and regular stuff, so the Kumho's and all the other 50 series are probably no fun.

Anyone have any other 60 series they really like that stick well?

Still looking and when I finish the CV's, Clutch cable, new Monza muffler and speedo, I will finally be ready to September Autocross.

I could also pick up a set of wheels and mount something for autocross only, but I am not sure. Bruce Stone may still have some 5.5 Gurneys that may work.

I am not sure I can run stock with 6 inch Empi/Minilite types?

Anyone know from PCA on this issue.

I have nothing but a totally stock 73 2.0L

Thanks!

John

I am running 205/50 Yoks
carr914
I prefer 50 Series for ride & look.

If you are a CSOB like most of us, Dunlop Direzzas are a good choice. I use them on my DD Honda and just ordered another set from Tire Rack yesterday. They are only $64 apiece for 205/50/15.

I have previously run Kumhos ( didn't like them, didn't last) BFGs, & Michelins. I think the Dunlops are superior & cheaper.

T.C.
7TPorsh
Just bot 195/65 Goodyear LS2 from here. Excellent.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pts/1905433914.html

Sleepin
I am running Falken Alzenis in 205/50-15. They suck in rain, but very nice to run on dry roads.
Zaney
What is a good make and size for a narrow body teener for 16 x 7 inch wheels? Good grip but also all sun & rain driving too. (It is the PNW btw driving.gif )

PeeGreen 914
Toyo RA-1

Best tire I have used... wet or dry smile.gif (for the street that is)

underthetire
QUOTE(Zaney @ Aug 25 2010, 09:19 AM) *

What is a good make and size for a narrow body teener for 16 x 7 inch wheels? Good grip but also all sun & rain driving too. (It is the PNW btw driving.gif )

I bought some Chinese tires biggrin.gif , but they actually make a lot of the high end goodyears, and were 200 bucks for the set. I really like them. Now for size I run a 205/50/16. They are very close in the rear.

carr914
The Tire Rack Rocks aktion035.gif

I ordered these yesterday morning, did Not do any rush delivery, just UPS ground.

Just got back from my local Pub and they were on my doorstep. biggrin.gif

T.C.

Click to view attachment
jt914-6
A friend ordered two tires for his 914 through the Tire Rack and had them sent to my address as he was going to be out of town. They came from their Shreveport, La. warehouse and was delivered the next day......BTW...I would get the 50 series tires per the thread title......
avidfanjpl
Interesting responses!

I know the 50 series will limit the car to 100 mph at 5k.

But getting there sticking like paint is of interest.

I keep going round and round.

Car is normal height. 100lb Weltmeisters in the rear. Boge's are original and amazingly crisp, but I am thinking of going with Shox pricing for Bilsteins all around.

No kidding I have no sag and if it wasn't for the damn Sumitomo's, I would get through turns faster and better.

Thanks!

John
tomeric914
I ran 205/50R15 General UHP Exclaims for the past couple of years until I put flares on the car. They were relatively cheap through tire rack and had/have one of the higher survey ratings. Worked great for DEs. They are all mounted up on cookie cutters and ready to go. Unfortunately, you're on the other coast.
DanT
for very good street, very grippy AX/DE the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs are tough to beat....
this is the next generation Direzza....205x50x15
draganc
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Aug 25 2010, 06:46 PM) *

Interesting responses!

I know the 50 series will limit the car to 100 mph at 5k.

Thanks!

John

Can you explain why?
DanT
gearing, smaller overall diameter means the motor turns more RPMs to maintain the same speed. Motor runs out of revs...
harlenl
QUOTE(Zaney @ Aug 25 2010, 09:19 AM) *

I run 205/50-16 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, but only use the car during the summer. In the winter it sits in the garage so I don't know how it will perform in the rain, but looking at the tread pattern it looks as though it should perform fine. The TireRack.com has reviews of the tire from people who have run it in the rain.

http://tinyurl.com/2cjq4zl

Harlen
EdwardBlume
Its nice to get the diameter close so you are not guessing when the cops radar you....
Jacob
25.4" dia. 165 - 15 original equipment tire
25.0" dia. 195/65/15
25.6" dia. 205/65/15
23.1" dia. 205/50/15

(Got this by sampling tires on tire rack)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.