Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Temp Options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
It seems i have a VDO Oil Temp gauge without the sender. I just saw a taco plate and sender on ebay go for over $150.

Are there any other options? that will incorporate the gauge?

So I am stuck with this gauge...Should I try to trade the gauge for cyl head temp gauge and sender? Cheaper? Did all cars have the cyl temp sender? I haven't checked my car.

What gauges did the post 73 cars have in the console? Clock, oil temp and voltmeter?

Bleyseng
Post a WTB ad in the Classifieds as they are around used plus you can get em new! Check with GPR, or PelicanParts and AA.
VaccaRabite
Is the gauge the 2 1/16th inch version, or the full size stock one.

The senders for the two gauges are different. Depending on what case you are using (if it came out of a bus, for instance) you can not use the long stock sending unit, but you can use the later short sending unit. But if you use the short sending unit, you HAVE to use the 2 1/16th inch gauge.

Zach
7TPorsh
My guess would be that the DAPO got a console from a post 73 car and added it but not sure.
What are the two sizes and what do I measure? the outer diameter of the face or the diameter of the body?

Also i am seeing a sender at Pelican for $10 but no plate...
realred914
High Performance house in redwood city will have them too. 650 364-6234

why are they so expensive???? ebay some times has extremely high prices that some one pays. I saw a some what obscure 914 repair book just like the one I bought at a swap meet for $15 sell for over $150 on ebay, must be rare! (I even printed up the ebay page listing the sale and keep that ebay page folded up in my $15 book, just as a reminder of how crazy a price on ebay can be)

so what is the real market price of that 914 repairbook? $15 or $150?????

try The Samba also these want ads on this site. of teh above vendors. you often can get teh best deal from a private party if you wait long enough.

head temp gages and sendors will set you back a simular mount of money as a complete oil temp set up, they are not cheap nor as common as on 914's as teh oil temp gage so cheap used ones are harder to find.

Plus with the head temp, teh factory has no wires built in for you, so you have to add all your own wires. most later 914 cars had teh oil temp wiring set up already for you.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you could get the vdo dipstick sending unit! It is pretty cheap. However when adding a console the way to go is the factory sending plate and sending unit. They are easily installed, keeps your car original and with a wire extension plug right into the factory harness (green with black wire) in front of the battery.

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 27 2010, 11:11 AM) *

It seems i have a VDO Oil Temp gauge without the sender. I just saw a taco plate and sender on ebay go for over $150.

Are there any other options? that will incorporate the gauge?

So I am stuck with this gauge...Should I try to trade the gauge for cyl head temp gauge and sender? Cheaper? Did all cars have the cyl temp sender? I haven't checked my car.

What gauges did the post 73 cars have in the console? Clock, oil temp and voltmeter?

underthetire
I just used the drain plug style, but I have a later small VDO gauge.
7TPorsh
I saw some posts about this drain plug sender and the dipstick.

Are both available for 914 type 4? This looks like an easy way to go.

Do these only work for the aftermarket gauge? or original? Size differences only?
VaccaRabite
Gary, read this thread. It will help make everyhting VERY clear to you.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=97987

Zach
realred914
beerchug.gif
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 27 2010, 11:46 AM) *

I saw some posts about this drain plug sender and the dipstick.

Are both available for 914 type 4? This looks like an easy way to go.

Do these only work for the aftermarket gauge? or original? Size differences only?

if you buy the right sendor then you dont have to worry about compatibility the 914 never came with a dipstick sendor nor drain plug sendor.

dont let one high ebay price freak you out. have you posted a wanted ad yet??? hold on and get teh word out int eh want ads that your lookinbg, one will show up , much better than rigging a dip stick sendor.

you also need to be sure your gages are correct the 914 came with two consoul gagees for oil temp, with different red zone areas, these are kind of weird sized gages. the aftermarket add on VDO gages are slightly smaller diameter and work also.

note teh factory gage had no number marks, just a red zone (which they changed in later years, probably freaked out too many owners to constatly be in the red zone, so they moved it!) as far as I know both gages (big or small red zone) are the same eletrically.

so post a want ad, and keep looking, post on teh samba also, maybe also on the pelican website, wait it out and get the correct plate if you can is my advise.

good luck, drive on, drvie on, drvie on 914914914914914914914

driving.gif aktion035.gif driving-girl.gif chowtime.gif cheer.gif piratenanner.gif sawzall-smiley.gif ar15.gif av-943.gif smash.gif welder.gif smilie_pokal.gif shades.gif stirthepot.gif popcorn[1].gif idea.gif confused24.gif
7TPorsh
This is all great info guys, thanks.

Accordingly, i have a VDO cockpit style gauge with the numbers. I didn't know the stock console gauges were not VDO.

I am liking the idea of a drain plug sender. I drive pretty easy; not a racer.

Is VDO 323-055-M82 the right sender for the taco plate? Can this screw into the drain plug or is it different size?

realred914
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 27 2010, 01:51 PM) *

This is all great info guys, thanks.

Accordingly, i have a VDO cockpit style gauge with the numbers. I didn't know the stock console gauges were not VDO.

I am liking the idea of a drain plug sender. I drive pretty easy; not a racer.

Is VDO 323-055-M82 the right sender for the taco plate? Can this screw into the drain plug or is it different size?

find the vdo website that has the part number and temp ranges for there sendors. i did that a while back (sorry no link) you got all sort of thread and length adn temp range options for vdo. remeber the drain plug sendor hangs down some and can be suseptable to a hit. the so called taco plate actually is a concave thing that sheild the sender end from hanging down too low below the engine. one thing to consider if you lower teh car ever, or drive rough road
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.