Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: What States Don't Issue Titles?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
There was a discussion on here a while back (I searched but couldn't find it) where someone was pissed at an eBayer for backing out on a deal because the car didn't have a title. Turns out the state they were in didn't issue titles.

Are there still any states that don't issue titles?
Mark Henry
Not a state but in Ontario, Canada we have an ownership, same as a title.
DuckRyder
Georgia doesn't automatically issue them for older cars (25 years I think it is.) and they transfer on a bill of sale.

They will title an older car if you have a title for it, but once someone cheaps out and doesn't pay the 18.00 for a title, you can't get another one.
lapuwali
Last time I heard, New Hampshire didn't issue titles. The only other state I know of that didn't was Florida.

fwiw, Australia doesn't do titles, either. I have two Aussie-made Minis, and had to get new titles for both. It's possible to get one, even in a title state like California, for pre-smog cars (the Minis are both pre '65). You just have to fill out a different form and have the car inspected by the CHP for a serial number to generate a VIN.
ss6
I learned through my own eBay experience 3 years ago that New Hampshire does not issue titles for cars older than 1988, and Connecticut does not issue titles for cars older than 1980. I had a big headache convincing a CT junkyard to take an '84 I had purchased in New Hampshire. fighting19.gif
crash914
True about New Hampshire.....I don't have titles on any of my cars.....except my wife's van....1996...

1988 and before..no title. tow dolly, no plates needed or title.

Just need bill of sale to register.

herb
crash914
oh yea, no taxes either....

no state tax, no income tax....

got to love it.....live free or die...
carreraguy
Eric:

I think you are referring to me and my eBay experience re: a 914/4. Connecticut was the state in question. They issue titles but not on cars older than the early '80's. The seller did not want to go to the "hassle" of getting a standard doc from the CT DMV saying that no title was available on the car; without it, I would not have been able to register the car in CA and thus be the proud owner of a "white elephant".

I would think any state DMV office could tell you what states do and don't issue titles on older cars. I also would think ALL states would issue titles on new cars or cars newer than a certain date.
Joe Bob
Under the WTF subject....

CA does NOT issue trailer titles anymore unless you specifcally ask AND pay extra. Plates are now good for five years.....no sticker on them and the meter maids don't know it....and issue tickets for no stickers....dickheads.

BTW....NEVER forget to pay your boat's luxury tax....even if you don't get the bill.....60 bucks past due and they slapped a lien on my house AND held up ALL of my car registrations.....
jarbuthnot
Maine does not issue titles for cars more than 15 years old. They still have to be registered.
lapuwali
carreraguy, it's actually fairly easy to get a California title for a car that has no title. There's a specific form and procedure for it, involving making an appt with any CHP station. They just look at the VIN (or whatever VIN like number is on the car, if it's too old to have a real VIN), verify that the car you're trying to title really has that VIN, and you're done. I've done it twice in the past three years right here in the Bay Area. They may ask for something resembilng a bill of sale from the previous owner. All in all, it was a fairly hassle-free procedure.

There are also outfits that will title a car for you in such a way that you can spare yourself what little hassle the CA DMV will put you through. The way it works is you show them the bill of sale, they title the car in some other state in their name, then "sell" it to you for their fee (usually $150-250). At least one such place I knew of used the title-less nature of New Hampshire to get a New Hampshire bill of sale, then a title in the target state. The example case was a friend in Colorado who privately imported a barn find pre-war motorcycle from Germany, which of course had no title at all. One of these places allowed him to get a legit CO title w/o jumping through any hoops at the CO DMV.
Red-Beard
New York State: No Title for 1972 and earlier. The car registration is "Transferrable", i.e., a "pink slip".

James
Eric_Shea
Thanks Gang,

Looks like I'm SOL... My wife has a 91 Accord that we "can't" get a title for. I want to bury it in the back yard!

E.
Joe Bob
Sawzall and then dump it in the trash....I once took two 1/4 pieces of a 914 to the dump....nobody even looked sideways....
Eric_Shea
Believe me... that's the plan. It's just that POS Honda parts are going for $.001 because they only made about 2 million of them that year. I'd spend a day scrapping the POS and get about $500 in parts mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.