Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HeadLight/Lamp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Silver72
My headlights are non-sealed units. They have a main bulb in the middle with a smaller bulb near the bottom of the unit. I am looking for close to factory replacements of the lense....and inprove lighting at night. Any suggestions?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Silver72 @ Aug 27 2010, 04:01 PM) *

My headlights are non-sealed units. They have a main bulb in the middle with a smaller bulb near the bottom of the unit. I am looking for close to factory replacements of the lense....and inprove lighting at night. Any suggestions?

They sound like Marchals.
Nice lights except with 914's flipper headlights condensation forms on the reflectors, they corrode, and a set of very expensive lights gets wiped out. (Thank you for not asking how I know this...)

Any halogen setup in 7" round ought to be just fine. There are several (e.g. Hella, Bosch) H4 lamps that will work just fine. They'll be labelled 'for offroad use only' so let your conscience be your guide. (This was a big deal when these cars were new and halogen lighting rare. Now it's common and nobody notices.)

If you want to walk farther out on the ledge there are Xenon replacements of varying quality and installation difficulty. If you take this step (which I of course am not recommending nor suggesting...) make sure they're well-aimed so as to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. Glare-blinded drivers headed at you is bad...
realred914
popcorn[1].gif idea.gif headbang.gif driving-girl.gif
QUOTE(Silver72 @ Aug 27 2010, 01:01 PM) *

the general purpose halogen "sealed beam" bulbs are a direct fit to the standard 914 sealed beam system./ these are sold at most autoparts stores, and are a HUGE improvement over the standard sealed beams of past. welder.gif

these are real halogen gas bulbs mounted inside a sealed beam globe and refetor, so very close to factory looks in general appearance to the old sealed beams. this is a far less expensive alternative to the other older method of adopting the better halogen bulbs, which was with removable bulbs in H4 housings. The H4 conversion was somewhat pricey, compaired to teh sealed beam style halgens now available.

give that a go. heck i me and tradisrad pick up several nice pairs of sealed beam halgens at pick your part auto wreckers sawzall-smiley.gif some time ago, for a couple bucks each or so. look in the wrecked american truck section flag.gif . seams many old trucks there have round headlights, the trucks were some of the hold outs in styling i guess, utilitarian to teh core. smash.gif

so give the halogen round "sealed beam" lamps a try, so long as you keep the same wattage, you system will be ok fuse wise,

however since the car is old make sure you have fulll voltage tot eh bulbs, if not, start cleaning ground points, then hot points, all conectors fuse ect. some times the switch wears and becomes a huge votlage drop (they will get warm or even hot yikes.gif ) relays may help you out, and are needed for higher than stock wattages.

however i think you will be plesantly surprised how nice the new fangled halagen round sealed beams are. cheer.gif and they are a direct fit, and look "right" to all but councurs showing. cost is a no brainer on these, idea.gif idea.gif only thing cheaper is old style sealed beams, then your back to 1930's technolgy headbang.gif headbang.gif

hey good luck in lights remeber the stuff in bold above is first and formost to bright lights.

happy moteoring!!!! vroomvroomvroom 914914914914914914914
Silver72
Thanks for the detail. I was worried about not having anything to plug the "small" bottom bulbs into. Not sure if I want to just let em hand there behind the sealed beam.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Silver72 @ Aug 30 2010, 06:21 PM) *

Thanks for the detail. I was worried about not having anything to plug the "small" bottom bulbs into. Not sure if I want to just let em hand there behind the sealed beam.

You need to give us much more detail on what you've got.
Mfg, model - a picture would help a lot.

Even the '2-lamp Euro' Marchals I used had the normal 3-terminal connector to the wiring harness - individual leads to the high and low beam lamps were internal to the reflector assembly.

If you don't have a single 3-lead connector for each light assembly, you have something really weird going on, and all previous information and assumptions may be void.

So - what you got - really ?
Silver72
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 30 2010, 04:35 PM) *

Even the '2-lamp Euro' Marchals I used had the normal 3-terminal connector to the wiring harness - individual leads to the high and low beam lamps were internal to the reflector assembly.

If you don't have a single 3-lead connector for each light assembly, you have something really weird going on, and all previous information and assumptions may be void.

I will post a picture as soon as possible. Most likely this weekend.
underthetire
Those sound an awful like the crappy Ebay ones I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-INCH-UNIV...=item45f489dd83
Silver72
QUOTE(Silver72 @ Aug 31 2010, 09:18 AM) *

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 30 2010, 04:35 PM) *

I will post a picture as soon as possible. Most likely this weekend.

Here are some pictures.
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 31 2010, 09:25 AM) *

What was the problem with them? I have seen similar ones and have been thinking about getting some.
ArtechnikA
OK - looks like it might be a Hella or Bosch H4. If so, they're nice lights, probably worth the effort to make them work right. What was your original problem ?

Someone has wired up a "City Light." Kind of a daytime running light concept. If done right they probably connect to the parking light circuit. If you don't like them you can snip the wires, although it's not hurting you. I'd probably unplug the bulbs, bundle the leads, and tie-wrap them out of the way.
Silver72
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 1 2010, 03:46 AM) *

OK - looks like it might be a Hella or Bosch H4. If so, they're nice lights, probably worth the effort to make them work right. What was your original problem ?

Someone has wired up a "City Light." Kind of a daytime running light concept. If done right they probably connect to the parking light circuit. If you don't like them you can snip the wires, although it's not hurting you. I'd probably unplug the bulbs, bundle the leads, and tie-wrap them out of the way.

Thanks! Just trying to find out where I can Hella or Bosch replacement lenses..
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have in stock both the bosch the hella the factory hella and the cheap indian (like you have) replacement h-4 lenses and bulbs. We also have the 80 100 h-4 bulbs which give the brightest light

QUOTE(Silver72 @ Sep 1 2010, 09:40 AM) *

ArtechnikA
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 1 2010, 12:43 PM) *

we have in stock both the bosch the hella the factory hella and the cheap indian (like you have) replacement h-4 bulbs.

I'm sure you have a lot of stuff in stock that he doesn't need.

He needs _lenses_ - not bulbs...
anderssj
Not sure if you can get just the lenses as they're usually bonded to the reflector. Daniel Stern has 7" Cibie lights with the small "city light" as shown in your post (see "H4 high/low beam, convex (domed) lens, w/parking light" under the product tab on his website "www.danielsternlighting.com").

He's a good guy and a great asset if you need advice about high performance lighting.

Best,

Steve A-

--no affiliation with Mr. Stern or his company, just a fan of good lighting . . . .
dr914@autoatlanta.com
come on kid, lets keep down the snide remarks. The hellas / bosch / indian brand are lenses and the two optional bulbs fit into them.

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 1 2010, 09:49 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 1 2010, 12:43 PM) *

we have in stock both the bosch the hella the factory hella and the cheap indian (like you have) replacement h-4 bulbs.

I'm sure you have a lot of stuff in stock that he doesn't need.

He needs _lenses_ - not bulbs...

underthetire
QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Aug 31 2010, 11:38 PM) *

What was the problem with them? I have seen similar ones and have been thinking about getting some.

Well, they look good, but then again when you smash the front of your car in to a ditch at night cause you can't see...
They put out very little light, and have this metal bulb cover inside the lamp that puts this huge dark shadow right where you want to see. They look a lot brighter till you try to use them. I would just put the sylvania silverstar halogens in if I had to do it over. Problem was in my area they were special order.
Silver72
Thank you all for the help!

Cheers!

Mark
Silver72
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 1 2010, 09:43 AM) *

we have in stock both the bosch the hella the factory hella and the cheap indian (like you have) replacement h-4 lenses and bulbs. We also have the 80 100 h-4 bulbs which give the brightest light

Can you send me detail on the factory hella and bosch with city light. just looking for the lense...QTY 2
Silver72
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 1 2010, 12:46 PM) *

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Aug 31 2010, 11:38 PM) *

Well, they look good, but then again when you smash the front of your car in to a ditch at night cause you can't see...
They put out very little light, and have this metal bulb cover inside the lamp that puts this huge dark shadow right where you want to see. They look a lot brighter till you try to use them. I would just put the sylvania silverstar halogens in if I had to do it over. Problem was in my area they were special order.

Yea, they are pretty bad on lighting. Not what I would consider safe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.