Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlamp doors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
How do I align the headlamp doors? They seemed fine, and now one is hitting on the inside front corner. Already has nicked the paint on the "eyebrow".

Click to view attachment
windforfun
Mine do too. Sort of. I think the piece your finger is on is attached with rubber studs that can be tweeked. Try a soft rubber mallet. Maybe not.
jeffdon
QUOTE(windforfun @ Aug 27 2010, 02:20 PM) *

Mine do too. Sort of. I think the piece your finger is on is attached with rubber studs that can be tweeked. Try a soft rubber mallet. Maybe not.

The rubber nubs tend to keep wanting to center in one place. Grrrrrr.
windforfun
I'll check later when I get home.
john rogers
If I remember correctly there are 3 allen head screws on the inside mount that allow the headlight to be moved around if they are loosened and then the light cover can be adjusted. I would say to NOT bang on things as the pivot is some sort of POS cast metal that VW had left over from WW2 and they break off easily so use caution.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Aug 27 2010, 02:16 PM) *
How do I align the headlamp doors?

By reading the Tech Article on how to adjust your headlights ...

http://www.914world.com/specs/headlight_adjustment.php

biggrin.gif Andy
jeffdon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 27 2010, 03:39 PM) *

biggrin.gif Andy

THANKS! As an aside, I just took the car on its first run on skyline blvd (andy will know this road), and man, I forgot what a go-kart these things can be.
Jeffs9146
I would adjust the front body piece in front of the light before adjusting that light!

It has a couple of alen screws also so you just loosen them, adjust its possition and tighten them again!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 27 2010, 03:58 PM) *
It has a couple of alen screws also so you just loosen them, adjust its possition and tighten them again!

No screws, just rubber plugs ... shades.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Aug 27 2010, 03:52 PM) *

biggrin.gif Andy

THANKS! As an aside, I just took the car on its first run on skyline blvd (andy will know this road), and man, I forgot what a go-kart these things can be.

Keep it out of the trees.

shades.gif shades.gif shades.gif
jeffdon
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Aug 27 2010, 03:52 PM) *

biggrin.gif Andy

This procedure seems only to alter where the cover stops in the vertical plane. I need to adjust in horizontal. Back and forth, or in my case, just back a bit.
windforfun
QUOTE(john rogers @ Aug 27 2010, 03:37 PM) *

If I remember correctly there are 3 allen head screws on the inside mount that allow the headlight to be moved around if they are loosened and then the light cover can be adjusted. I would say to NOT bang on things as the pivot is some sort of POS cast metal that VW had left over from WW2 and they break off easily so use caution.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Looks like this is the case assuming the through holes in the sheet metal are large enough.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Aug 28 2010, 07:18 AM) *
This procedure seems only to alter where the cover stops in the vertical plane. I need to adjust in horizontal. Back and forth, or in my case, just back a bit.

It's in there. You need to read the text between the images ...

biggrin.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.