Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: iPhone mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
If anyone has a mounting set-up they like to hold the iPhone in place on the dash area, please post brand and pictures. I've been balancing mine in the ash tray but a quick stop tossed it over. Time for a secure bracket of some kind. Thanks Bill
ripper911
I don't belive they were available fom the factory... maybe special order?
poke.gif
yeahmag
PanaVise seems to make most everything that is good these days suction cup wise. They make the mount for my GoPro and it's rock solid.
bandjoey
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 27 2010, 07:58 PM) *

I don't belive they were available fom the factory... maybe special order?
poke.gif

Only on the LE's I think, and most of those rusted out. lol-2.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Why don't you leave your phone in the armrest storage or the glove compartment, where it belongs? We just had another cell phone "distraction" incident down the street a couple of days ago. One of the hittees may never walk again, and she's the least injured of the 2. Driver and passenger are OK, though .........................

The Cap'n, hater of cellphones and the drivers who use them.
ripper911
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 27 2010, 09:21 PM) *

Why don't you leave your phone in the armrest storage or the glove compartment, where it belongs? We just had another cell phone "distraction" incident down the street a couple of days ago. One of the hittees may never walk again, and she's the least injured of the 2. Driver and passenger are OK, though .........................

The Cap'n, hater of cellphones and the drivers who use them.

agree.gif
bandjoey
Cap'n it not for phone use. It's a speedometer and a music player. With bigger tires, my speedo is off and the GPS speedometer keeps me out of trouble, and I want the mp3 hooked up to play music through the radio, and I don't want the iphone bouncing around the car.

I agree on cell phone. Hands Off speakers work pretty good but if you have to hold a phone, pull off the road. Go look at some of the Bluetrek speakers that mount flat on the visor.
bandjoey
That's the future today. Cool Video lol-2.gif
Andyrew
So far, I paid 100 bucks for mine and bought $5 worth of apps from money I had in my itunes account from 5 years ago.

I have jailbroken mine, stream south park/family guy/ simpsons episodes, run tomtom, and have a bunch of trick little mods that Steve Jobs would have never thought of..

I hate apple products, But this Iphone is pretty damn neat!

I've bought this mount years ago and it works decent.. A little shakey but for a cheap mount it works. If you rested the tube on the dash I think it would work fairly well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Windshield-Dash-Ve...=item4cf131ebee

This one looks about the same (see the video) in terms of how shakey it is. But it looks like the suction cup is alot better and in general a lot better quality and it widens all the way (where as the other one didnt..)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Windshield-Mount-Holde...=item35abc4cb69

If you want it really sturdy, I think a hard mount one like this would be best.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Windshield-Dash-Mo...=item3cac1fe749
76-914
I love my IPhone and it's many app's. One of which keeps your eyes on the road. It's one of the free speedometer/compass/altitude app's but it has a HUD view (ie mirror image) so you can place it on your dash at nite and use your HUD display on the windshield. Eyes never leave the road when checking your speed, etc.
Andyrew
I love that app! Works amazing at night.
Elliot Cannon
I have a speedometer in my dash. It lights up when I turn my headlights on and I can even adjust the brightness of the lights if I want. Works amazing at night. lol-2.gif
Andyrew
I broke my speedo cable.. Then I installed my spare and broke that one..

I blame my v8.

I use my phone now. smile.gif
johannes
Ashtray for Iphone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UN2gZ-nYLA
smontanaro
Didn't Garrold (at least my failing memory thinks it was him) build something which slid into the ashtray slot, maybe used an old ashtray as the starting point?
realred914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 27 2010, 06:29 PM) *

Cap'n it not for phone use. It's a speedometer and a music player. With bigger tires, my speedo is off and the GPS speedometer keeps me out of trouble, and I want the mp3 hooked up to play music through the radio, and I don't want the iphone bouncing around the car.

I agree on cell phone. Hands Off speakers work pretty good but if you have to hold a phone, pull off the road. Go look at some of the Bluetrek speakers that mount flat on the visor.

i got more issues with drivers pulling over in bad spot to talk on teh phone really bad to park in a bike lane to talk, or on a narrow shoulder, but hell thats the law.

stupid law, just pull the liscenc eof a guilty driver that what they need to do, the cell phone law is dumb, i could talk on the phjone and drive safely cuase I knew what my attention should be attractes to, the driving conditions, but now it is illegal for me to saefly use a phone whilest driving, yet had a lady totaly my 914 in a crash cuase she was distracted by a can of orange soda pop she spilled, she treid to clean it up while driving and ran a red light right into me at 45 mph!

may the politicans shoudl punish orange soda drinkers?

how about a law that if you cause a crash your cant drive no more regardless if you are distracted by a phone, one of them electronic maps, or the radio, your CB or any thing at all . not paying attention is the problem but the stupid suck ass politians cant figure that out, so good old fat pig senator simitian gave us the stupid cell phone law. (dumbshit forgot to ban texting however,)
dadaDaveed
In my old 72, I gutted the ash tray and used double sided tape to hold an apple iPhone dock. It holds the phone pretty firmly. Also, it powers the dock, gives an audio output... and when not in use, it disappears!

I have the same setup in my daily driver... BMW X5. (mounted on top of center console instead of the ashtray) It works great.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 28 2010, 09:27 AM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 27 2010, 06:29 PM) *

i got more issues with drivers pulling over in bad spot to talk on teh phone really bad to park in a bike lane to talk, or on a narrow shoulder, but hell thats the law.

stupid law, just pull the liscenc eof a guilty driver that what they need to do, the cell phone law is dumb, i could talk on the phjone and drive safely cuase I knew what my attention should be attractes to, the driving conditions, but now it is illegal for me to saefly use a phone whilest driving, yet had a lady totaly my 914 in a crash cuase she was distracted by a can of orange soda pop she spilled, she treid to clean it up while driving and ran a red light right into me at 45 mph!

may the politicans shoudl punish orange soda drinkers?

how about a law that if you cause a crash your cant drive no more regardless if you are distracted by a phone, one of them electronic maps, or the radio, your CB or any thing at all . not paying attention is the problem but the stupid suck ass politians cant figure that out, so good old fat pig senator simitian gave us the stupid cell phone law. (dumbshit forgot to ban texting however,)

I agree with some of your points. However, when was the last time you EVER heard of having a driver's license pulled stopping someone from driving? It ain't gonna happen. And hands off phone accessories are only barely safer than holding the phone yo your ear, if at all.

The Cap'n
bandjoey
QUOTE(johannes @ Aug 28 2010, 05:58 AM) *

CREEPY Hearing the car shift itself! I do the same thing now but on rough roads it bounces and once came out of the tray.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.