Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 to 2.0 D-Jet conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TargaToy
I've tried searching this and looking for tech articles but haven't had much luck. Sorry if this has been covered already.

I have a 1.7 with functioning factory FI. I have a parts 1.8 which I plan to build into a 2056. If I wish to run the larger motor with D-jet, what FI components of mine can be retained....and what exactly am I going to have to source to make the system work with the larger displacement?

I'd like to start collecting parts as I come across them.

Thanks!
JeffBowlsby
From your 1.7L you can use the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, injector manifolds, ECU brackets, tri-spade ground lug, trigger points, maybe the TS1 and thermoswitch, thats all.

Otherwise you will need a complete 2.0L injection system from a 2.0L, including the intake air hardware parts and ignition/FI harnesses.
sean_v8_914
1.7 injection will run a 2.0 when used with green injectors. I have done this. the rpm will top out at 5000
orange914
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Aug 27 2010, 07:40 PM) *

1.7 injection will run a 2.0 when used with green injectors. I have done this. the rpm will top out at 5000

interesting, but the 2056 pistons would probably drip out the drain plug.

you'll need a 71mm stroke 2.0 crank too, not sure about the rods

mike
realred914
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Aug 27 2010, 07:24 PM) *

I've tried searching this and looking for tech articles but haven't had much luck. Sorry if this has been covered already.

I have a 1.7 with functioning factory FI. I have a parts 1.8 which I plan to build into a 2056. If I wish to run the larger motor with D-jet, what FI components of mine can be retained....and what exactly am I going to have to source to make the system work with the larger displacement?

I'd like to start collecting parts as I come across them.

Thanks!

the famous Anders website will list all the parts you need, and give cross refereances. in some instances you can use things like the pressure sendor, if it is re-calibrated. but your best bet is to try to get some 2.0 liter elctronic parts
TargaToy
Thanks for the replies.

I did check out the Anders site and it was very informative.

Another question: In one of my searches, I read that the L-jet is good to 160 hp or so and is fine on 1900 and 2056 conversions with a little tweaking.

Since my plan is to build the 2056 from my parts car's 1.8, would I be better off going with L-jet since I already have a complete system for that as well? ....I mean, presuming umpteen years of sitting in the elements hasn't ruined most of it?
Bleyseng
yes!...just restore all the Ljet parts, clean up the AFM and check it with the manuals to make sure its good. Send the injectors out for cleaning and clean up the wiring.
sean_v8_914
no dripping. why would they drip? what does that mean?
it just ran out of air. AFR was OK. WOT enrichment was enough till it ran out of air. it was rich till about 3500 or so. I wish I had saved the data log.
Bleyseng
I think he is saying it would run lean but not with the green 2.0L injectors. As you say it will run out of air with the small runners and plenum before going to lean. Porsche figured this out in 1972 with the first 2.0L engine after VW said it couldn't be built.
orange914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 29 2010, 11:46 AM) *

I think he is saying it would run lean but not with the green 2.0L injectors. As you say it will run out of air with the small runners and plenum before going to lean. Porsche figured this out in 1972 with the first 2.0L engine after VW said it couldn't be built.

what geoff said.

i just know that before doing my 2056, i talked to several 2056 owners that used UN modified 2.0 d-jet and leaned/pinged thier motors to major piston damage. other than the troublesome air flow valve, i always wondered why L-jet on the otherhand hasn't been used more as it's more excepting of fuel needs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.