Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just a little update on what I've been up to -NON 914 stuff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
As many of you klnow I make a few 914 parts and have been really busy lately with my main business, as it's that time of year. I do have a few other projects in the works, but they have been taking a little bit of a back seat as I must make hay while it's the season.

This is Whitesell Architectural Supply's main product. Just thought you might be interested, and give you some perspective on what I do.
Mikey914
Custom machined plates cut at a 5 degree slope

Elliot Cannon
You paint stripes on parking lots? lol-2.gif
Mikey914
A custom tile deck that required a fasica mount last week
The Schooner 3/8" glass windwall
Mikey914
The job I picked up today. There's a 70' drop off this deck, that's why I'm not close to the edge.
Mikey914
Another glass and picket job
Mikey914
Notice the cables don't line up
Mikey914
Glass on stair
Eric_Shea
Way cool... I mo be calling you.
JRust
Good gosh you mean besides being a Pilot for Horizon air you have more work? Yet you still find time to make seals for us pray.gif . Damn if I don't feel lazy right now unsure.gif
morph
BUT wait theres more! lol
mark is a pretty busy guy
james
rick 918-S
Like it!
RJMII
Those are some cool looking projects!

Notice the cables don't line up

On purpose?
Mikey914
Yeah, I've been a bit busy. I've develiped an interior cable system that is componet based (like the exterior), but has a low profile post. The one I'm doing right now has a wood top cap and mounts into the substructure this allows the floowing to install around it giving it a clean look. It's a cable system and were using turnbuckles so that the ends can use my hidden toggles having less exposed hardware (read cleaner look).

The only problem is now I have to dedicate some time to an installation manual, and create a new section on the website to deal with the interior projects. It' a whole new product line.

The cables on the one picture didn't line up on purpose. The idea is that if they did, the stair causes them to compress as the are "raked" down the stair. My hidden toggle system (that I machine of course), allows a termination inside a a post without any indication outside the post. This makes for a really clean corner, as well.

Mikey914
The beauty of this is that my systems are laid out of each job specifically so that they can be installed in the field with minimal effort using basic tools. They are prefinished, and can be shipped LTL. I have one project in San Louis Obispo going right now with 1/2" glass, and here's a picture of a Project I shipped to upstate NY.
Mikey914
One more great picture. and yes I know there are caps missing on the top of the posts, my customer lost them during assembly, so I'm sending him more.
Mikey914
The upper deck, notice the corner post. Most systems you would have to have 2 posts there. This is a much clearer look.
Mikey914
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 28 2010, 12:28 AM) *

Good gosh you mean besides being a Pilot for Horizon air you have more work? Yet you still find time to make seals for us pray.gif . Damn if I don't feel lazy right now unsure.gif

The sad part is that the company I'm working for has decided they don't need the jets anymore. I'll have a job flying Q400's but now have more motivation to try to get on with a major.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 28 2010, 07:24 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 28 2010, 12:28 AM) *

The sad part is that the company I'm working for has decided they don't need the jets anymore. I'll have a job flying Q400's but now have more motivation to try to get on with a major.

Send your resume to UPS or Fedex. The cargo business is more stable than the pax side. Pretty much always has been.
Mikey914
Unfortunately, my log book was 6 years behind. I'm down to 2-1/2 ish. Just not enough time in the day.
Mikey914
And more
Mikey914
Check out the corner
Mikey914
The big picture
GeorgeRud
Really nice work! I'm glad to hear that you're keeping busy with it. I have a cousin that does custom railings and other metal work, and they are spending most of the days cleaning the shop as there seems to be little else for them to do!

Glad to see some impressive pictures as well.
jsayre914
Bueatifulll wub.gif

So what does it cost to fly you to PA laugh.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 6 2010, 02:11 PM) *

Bueatifulll wub.gif

So what does it cost to fly you to PA laugh.gif

Nothing, however I can't fit the railings in the jumpseat.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 28 2010, 07:11 AM) *

The beauty of this is that my systems are laid out of each job specifically so that they can be installed in the field with minimal effort using basic tools. They are prefinished, and can be shipped LTL. I have one project in San Louis Obispo going right now with 1/2" glass, and here's a picture of a Project I shipped to upstate NY.

This is a job I sent o upstate NY.
Lou W
Very Nice Work. smile.gif
jim_hoyland
Very cool Mark ! Smart, clean railings are a pleasure to view.
Mikey914
Best thing is that I can ship the components to be assembled on site easily for a perfect fit.
swood
Nice work Mark. I'm designing a cable rail right now using Feeney attachments. I don't like it very much. I wouldn't mind seeing your cable attachment detail. How do you cinch it up? I don't see any turnbuckles. Keeping it a taught 4" max is very important down here.
Mikey914
QUOTE(swood @ Oct 7 2010, 08:58 PM) *

Nice work Mark. I'm designing a cable rail right now using Feeney attachments. I don't like it very much. I wouldn't mind seeing your cable attachment detail. How do you cinch it up? I don't see any turnbuckles. Keeping it a taught 4" max is very important down here.

Feeney used to be one of my customers before he went out on his own. Technically you need 3" o/c with a 36" max distance between verticals. You can use turnbuckles but I avoid them as the get very expensive quickly. I machine hidden toggles that go in and lock. The NY picture you will notice there is only 1 post on the corner. It's dam near impossible to bend the cble inside the post to make a 90 degree corner. One toggle on each side gives the illusion that it does.
Very neat and clean.

I'll PM you on the project you have. I bet I can save you some cash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.