Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber dcnf 42
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914fun
Will weber dcnf 42 be to big for a stock 1.8 lt? Im taking off the D-jet system. Ben fooling with it for almost 3 years now. Done spending time and money on that system. So its time to spend time and money on a carb system. I plan on using my dizy for now. Im thinking the 34 would be to small. From what I read the 40 work well but I found some 42 that are at a good price. What do you guys think?
Bleyseng
Fix the Djet.

What the hell is the problem with the Djet? Lots of experts to help you with it and why have you struggled with it for 3 years? chair.gif
zig-n-zag
Do you have manifolds? I don't recall manifolds made for the 914-4
or type 4 in either dual or single carb application.
Mark Henry
I'm this site's 42 DCNF guru and it's the Wrong carbs for a 914 for sure.

They are a street cruiser carb and even with mods they hate left hand turns. DCNF's are designed for Maserati and Ferarri engines and are meant to be installed 90* from how we install them on a type 1 (or 4)

On a street bug or my bus they work great because those cars do not see the lateral G's that you can pull on a teen, even just daily driving.

Real bad choice even if you can find the manifolds.
914fun
I seen those carbs on Thesamba. I guess I dont really know what I'm looking for when it comes to carbs. Whats wrong with the D-jet is to rev it by hand it sound ok but when I drive it it misses really bad. I look at the plugs and they are black with carbon. Running rich. I think I have done everything everyone has suggested. I just want to drive the thing. Seems like over the 3 years I've had it I get it running somewhat for a day or two and then I cant drive it for months because something crazy with the fuel delivery happens. Every time I mess with one thing two more things go wrong. I had carbs on my first 914 20 years ago and at least if it had a problem mechanics could figure it out without replacing everything twice to see if that will fix it. I dont have people in this aria that know anything about this system. So even though I would like for the D-jet to work I feel its best to go with carbs so I can have a better chance at keeping it usable. Thanks guys.
sean_v8_914
Gene burg loved these DCNFs...but he wqs a drag racer. I put some on a 1776 type 3 fro a guy. it was a street cruiser as mentioned above. it pulled strong on the freeway
check out my home brewed shorty intakes. they were fugly

I cant find the car...it was cool, slammed with boxter 17s
sean_v8_914
...so you mean that the barels go left-right instead of front to back as on a type 1 and 4?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Aug 29 2010, 12:47 PM) *

...so you mean that the barels go left-right instead of front to back as on a type 1 and 4?

Yes.
I talked to the man himself extensively on the DCNF's when I bought my complete 2007cc T1 kit from him almost 20 years ago. Seems that there was 30-40 different DCNF models over the years and all but a few were made with passages way too big for the type one. I had another set (not Berg) on my T3 and they always cut out bad on a hard left, right turns didn't seem to affect them as much.

For a Type 1 cruiser they are the ultimate carbs. Gene didn't even recommend them for drag racing. He preferred the IDA on race engines.

BTW I put my O2 meter on my Berg DCNF carbed engine, perfect 13:1 AR throughout the entire operating range. You can see these carbs on my Pinesol Carb cleaner thread.

Also a local guy Dave Shire (sp?) had them on his 914, he did every mod he could find including the Grosse ball jets. I don't think he ever got it to run right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.