Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 914-4 Right Rear Trailing Arm Support Failure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dhkieffer
I am working on my son-in-laws 1971 914-4 again. The right rear inner trailing arm support (the one closest to the engine) gave way and allowed the inside end of the trailing arm to drop. I have not been able to locate a replacement as yet. Does any one have any ideas as where we can find a replacement (new, good used or after-market) to solve this urgent problem.

The outer support looks good but we do have a replacement if it is needed. The support on the left side is in very good condition. I feel that the right side failed due to possible battery acid (as it is almost under the battery support tray) and battery acid fume damage over the years.

Donald Kieffer
dhkieffer@gmail.com
Rleog
On Chris's site, www.tangerineracing.com, look under the chassis/reinforcement section for inner console reinforcement upgrade. This may be what you're looking for. If not, sorry

DNHunt
Check out this link.
I think this is what you are after.

Dave
rick 918-S
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Aug 28 2010, 09:18 AM) *

Check out this link.
I think this is what you are after.

Dave

agree.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we of course manufacture that part and sell it to all of the vendors. We are also working on the outer three hole suspension mount on the passenger side.

QUOTE(dhkieffer @ Aug 28 2010, 06:51 AM) *

I am working on my son-in-laws 1971 914-4 again. The right rear inner trailing arm support (the one closest to the engine) gave way and allowed the inside end of the trailing arm to drop. I have not been able to locate a replacement as yet. Does any one have any ideas as where we can find a replacement (new, good used or after-market) to solve this urgent problem.

The outer support looks good but we do have a replacement if it is needed. The support on the left side is in very good condition. I feel that the right side failed due to possible battery acid (as it is almost under the battery support tray) and battery acid fume damage over the years.

Donald Kieffer
dhkieffer@gmail.com

realred914
I think Restoration Design offer a reproduction part for the suspension support.

you will want to do a careful inventory of the rust issues on this car BEFORE buying parts. as is sometimes the case, suspension rust is caused by battery acid leaking down there. the suspension "ear" that rust often rust from the insdie (it is hollow) this is cause acid has gotten in there via holes in the upper rocker panal. when acid gets there, it often attacks the fire wall ahead of the motor , and can eat into the double panle (lower fire wall) and attack the floor under the passenger seat. the rocker (a main structural member0 can be eaten away so much the car can fold in half, even with no visable rust from the outside!!!

If you have a late car, it should have a thick rubber pad on the engine side of the fire wall, remove it and see if the lower fire wall is rusting, remove the brain and battery and poke around the "hell hole" area (the well ahead of the battery) often prior owners will screw in a cosmetic patch and bondo it up.

the reason to look at all this is you may find you need to spend a lot more in welding and parts to fix this car than just the suspension mount. On my car the rust got tot he motor mount, and when I purchased it, there were only seven NOS motor mounts left world wide accoring to Porsche, i had one of them shipped from the Father Land and Mc Mark installed it on me car. (actually restoration design was able to source it for me from germany)

at anyrate do a complete top to bottom analysis of the car before you order parts, get teh engine out and examine everthing, you dont want more rust surprises after you start repair

good luck, my the rust gods be kind to you and your car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.