Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tool Question: Air Filter/Regulator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stepuptotheMike
What are you guys using for air filter/regulator on your larger compressors? I have an 80 gallon and had a craftsman "heavy duty" regulator on it, but the bowl is made of plastic and has split after about a month rendering the thing worthless.

So I want something that works and isn't going to crap out on me.

Also, what are you guys using for dryers?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
McMark
I have a automatic refresh desiccant dryer system, but any desiccant system is really nice. The 'toilet paper' dryers work well too. I'm not sure what regulator I have, but I usually trust anything I get from McMaster Carr.
charliew
For shade tree painting I use a 50 gallon hotwater tank to put the air in and then go through the dessicant filter. The extra tank catches a lot of the water before it gets to the filter plus I have a lot more capacity with the 50 gal tank in the paint room close to where I am painting. I use the original tank with a ballvalve drain to keep it drained.
underthetire
We actually use a salt based dryer on the SUPER dry air requirements. They work very well, but you need very dry air in, once they get a bunch of water in they are a PIA to clean out. Last shop I was at we used 3/4 copper lines, but went vertical out of the compressor with 1 1/2, down to a separator, back up the wall with the 1 1/2, back down to a separator, then around the shop with 3/4". The large pipe allowed the air to move slower than the 3/4, cooling the air. The vertical arrangement let the heavy water fall out of suspension. Worked pretty damn well, I was surprised. And I would sure as hell keep the kids away from a air pressurized water heater. I saw one air tank rupture on a old compressor in a shop, looked like a bomb went off. Broke the cinder block wall next to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.