Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
icer9
iI'm a new user and am looking for a 914. I've admired ever since my uncle had a 72 914 with the fuchs wheels.
Can someone tell me the differences between the 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0? Are there significant performance issues?
Jeffs9146
1.7 & 1.8 = VW
2.0 = Porsche
Dr Evil
all = VW, 2.0/6 = Porsche
icer9
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 28 2010, 09:28 PM) *

all = VW, 2.0/6 = Porsche

Thanks. So basically, only a 2.0 or possibly a modified 6, correct?
Dr Evil
Most are not happy until they throw a 2.0/4 into their car. It is something that I have always done.....until I went 2.7/6. These cars are a lot of fun with any engine, honestly.
avidfanjpl
I am on my 6th 2.0L, and they are cheaper for newbies and divorced ex-husbands like me, unless you are rich, then you don't need us to help you decide.

But, there is nothing like a 6 inside a 914, like Dr. Evil said.

I may own one someday, and want to very much, because I know the 914 tub so well, but now I have to decide if I buy my bud's 87 Carrera 3.2 sweet driver for next to nothing.

Never owned a taildragger, but he made me an offer that may be hard to refuse.

And it is a 3.2L with a great transmission.

I thought I was going to own a 914/6 first. Maybe not.

Good luck and go with the 2.0L, if you can find one you can afford.

The best years are 73/4, but many have been able to remove the Smog stuff, because they live in certain states. That is a plus, but you can't do that shit here.

And I am not sure the Fuch's 4 spoke were on any 914's till 1973, but plenty added them to earlier cars later, after appearance group cars were crushed.

John
mtn flyr
Here is some info on the 4 cylinder engines,

1970 to 1972 = 1.7 approx 80hp
1973 to 1974 = 1.8 approx. 76hp
1973 to 1974 = 2.0 approx 95hp
1975 to 1976 = 1.8 approx. 76hp
1975 to 1976 = 2.0 approx. 88hp

hope this helps welcome.png
icer9
Guys,
I appreciate all the help. I've started the search.
I'll update if i have questions or will send pics.
Rand
While the ultimate dream would be to run across a killer deal on a perfect 1973 2.0 914, you can't shop that way with these cars. More importantly, find a solid tub. These things are cancer ridden, so prioritize a solid body. It is easier to upgrade the engine than restore the rusted tub from hell.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 29 2010, 10:57 AM) *
More importantly, find a solid tub. These things are cancer ridden, so prioritize a solid body. It is easier to upgrade the engine than restore the rusted tub from hell.

agree.gif
bembry
Is Dave Darling's FAQ posted around here somewhere? That would be really good info for OP. Answers everything he asked in detail, plus more.

-----------------------
edit: I found it on another 914 site:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/How_to_buy_a_914.htm

Some more advice: In general, BUY THE BEST CAN YOU CAN AFFORD. If you don't have enough money for a nicer 914, WAIT. Trying to save money as a newbie can really cost you later. (if you're an avanced body guy and/or mechanic, this may not apply as much though)

mods or anyone else: if it's not kosher for me to post that link, pls let me know, and I'll delete ASAP.
qa1142
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 29 2010, 11:11 AM) *

More importantly, find a solid tub. These things are cancer ridden, so prioritize a solid body. It is easier to upgrade the engine than restore the rusted tub from hell.

agree.gif

agree.gif
johannes
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Aug 29 2010, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 29 2010, 11:11 AM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

agree.gif
patssle
Mine has an old bus motor in it, and the engine code refers to a grand total of 65 horsepower. It might have a little more than that with carbs and a few other things - but bottom line, even with no power it is still fun to drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.