Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: buyer beware
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
Craigslist ad:
http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/1919358287.html

Claims 160hp 1.8 engine turned 12.9 in the 1/4 at Fallon raceway.

First of all, I call BS on that note.

Then I go look at this thing....

On the phone I ask how the rust is under the battery. He claims there is none because the whole engine compartment was restored.

I will spare the rest of the worst. It is especially ugly. But this much....

I arrive.... Roll down the window in my car and see open longs... the whole jack point was gone. The heater tubes were exposed. Ok, so you say no rust but you didn't say you just cut it out?

I look under and see daylight through the floorpans.

Ok, I'm done. I will spare the gorry details. This PPI took 90 seconds.

Asshole claimed rust-free chassis, 160hp engine (but couldn't show dyno paperwork), 12.9 quarter mile drag time at local strip (proclaimed he had papers to prove but couldn't produce them), everything was solid except a crack in the dash and seat.

STUPID ASS TEENAGER should have his ass kicked. Why don't parents raise kids to be honest any more?????
Rand
What if he was really just ignorant? If he was scamming he should have his ass beat. But as young as he was, I was tempted to drive back there and show him everything that was wrong in hopes he might actually be open to learning for real. Do you think he would have been open to learning??

Sigh. Who can answer that. I don't know how he was raised.
Andyrew
Rand,

Sounds a lot like the guy I bought my A4 from..

I didnt take any information to heart of what he said, He was a complete BS'er.. I bought the car based on what I saw.

You WILL find people like this all the time! That being said, For a running 914, That price is damn good. Since you already went and looked at it, Give him a call back and ask him how low he'll take.. I bet he'll take $800... At that point its WELL worth it.
I'll tell you, if it was in my neighborhood at that price, It would be in my driveway by now...
Dr Evil
Typical. Did I tell you about the time I FLEW to Tucson, AZ for a rust free 914? It took 90 sec and I did the PPI in the parking lot. I was back at the air terminal awaiting my return flight in 10 min of landing dry.gif The guy was certifiably stupid.
Rand
Thanks Andyrew, but...
Every possible of the worst rust points, including all jack points, all rear points of floor pans.... All the rest we all know.... They were all CUT OUT. Not even so much as an attempt to repair, they were just cut out. AND he had already treated the interior with bedliner.
No more waste of time on this subject. It was the worst possible POS. I'm just irritated that he had no clue and all the while claimed he had the ultimate hot rod with 160hp and 12.9 1/4 mile. Dumbass doesn't know the thing will fold in half on a speedbump.
Andyrew
How young is young?
Rand
Mike! Sorry dude. At least I was within 20 mins driving range.

I am serious, 90 seconds PPI and it was appalling. Sigh, I can't imagine absorbing a plane ticket under those terms.

No wonder Craig drinks so much!!! lol tongue.gif
Andyrew
Not all kids do a search function on google to learn about their new car on forums like I did when I was 14.. (God, that was 10 years ago?)

For a running engine/parts car, 1200 is appropriate. If you have the time, Talk to the guy meet him again and tell him its a bad chassis and he should sell it as a parts car. They wont ever learn if they dont have anyone to educate them.

Rand
Andyrew. Thanks, but. Please. I'm not new to this game. Apparently I have not made myself clear. Imagine every place that can rust being cut out. It is swiss cheese. There is no good thing left. No interior. Gaping holes behind the seats to the ground, the jack points... Come on, you know what we are talking about... ALL of the critical rust areas in a 914 CUT OUT. The thing will fold in half. You want to go pick this thing up for $1200, please do. You really believe his proclaimed carbs and 160hp 1.8 are worth the asking price? Go buy it.
I't pure BS.
Sorry World, didn't know it would drag out so much. Just meant this as a buyer-beware.
rjames
Effin' frustrating. Sorry you had to endure such needless frustration Rand. Hopefully the right car for you is around the corner. I am looking forward to the day when you post pictures of your next 914 smile.gif
bembry
what an asshat. 12.9 quarter mile?
tod914
I think his decimal place was off on at least 2 accounts.
EdwardBlume
Was it Officer Dangle? lol-2.gif
Mr.242
There is a guy here in Seattle with a car he keep trying to sell the car for $3800.
Cool car color, but has rust and a seized motor. Has the 5-lug conversion, nice FUCHS and Kumos. I told him the car had also been in a wreck an it is very obvious!!!

Still keeps showing up on CL in Seattle for $3800.

No way.............................

So Dr. Evil, don't fly in to look at it! poke.gif Unless you are coming for a Teener Tuesday and/or oysters.
JRust
Yeah I had a similar trip recently to lok at a 914. Except mine was a 5 & a 1/2 round trip dry.gif . Bullshit when people flat out lie! Ignorant is one thing. I guess it just shows you need to ask even the most simple questions & follow up with 3 more asking the same thing differently. Then hope they don't flat out lie about it. My PPI could have taken 10 seconds. I took 10 minutes figuring to get it cheap. Could have got it cheap but it would have taken another trip. Yeah right like I am making that drive again headbang.gif
Andyrew
Theres a guy in turlock trying to sell a nice clean purple flared car in pieces. I called the guy on it about 4 month ago when he first posted it for sale and spoke to him about it. He claims he has 10 grand into the engine, I called him and asked him about the engine and he said "Oh its got 300 hp, its got EVERYTHING done to it!" I then asked, 300hp eh? What size is it? " Oh its the big 2.0" Really, Is it turbocharged? "No", Fuel injection or carbs? "Carbs".

At this point I determined that this guy either
A: Doesnt know shit about cars, Gave some dude 20k to build his car and ran out of funds and now doesnt want it.
B: Total BS'er, stumbled upon the car, bought it, and is selling it to make a profit.

Either way he new shit about 914's. On the phone he said he'll take 5500, but he had it for sale for 8500 now.

Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 28 2010, 08:36 PM) *

What if he was really just ignorant? If he was scamming he should have his ass beat. But as young as he was, I was tempted to drive back there and show him everything that was wrong in hopes he might actually be open to learning for real. Do you think he would have been open to learning??

Sigh. Who can answer that. I don't know how he was raised.

Did you take some time to explain to this young guy what was wrong with his car and why he was asking too much for it and his description of the car was waaay off? Or did you just stomp away disgusted and pissed off? You where tempted to drive back and "show him everything that was wrong" with the car. Maybe you should have.

Cheers, Elliot
JRust
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 29 2010, 01:31 PM) *

Did you take some time to explain to this young guy what was wrong with his car and why he was asking too much for it and his description of the car was waaay off? Or did you just stomp away disgusted and pissed off? You where tempted to drive back and "show him everything that was wrong" with the car. Maybe you should have.

Cheers, Elliot

It isn't a bad way to go. I spent time showing & telling the guy what was wrong. Especially the things I asked specifically about that he said were fine. Then I told him he needed to be completely honest with someone on the phone. He wasn't asking a rediculous amount. He just misrepresented the car. For someone 10 minutes away not as big a deal. For someone who drive a long distance because of the description. NOT COOL! I told him I could have come prepared for it that way. I probably would have still bought the car. Just for less money. I'm to damn nice to really lay into someone. I wanted to smack him upside the head & go home the minute I saw it evilgrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
drunk.gif
Cairo94507
Before I buy airline tickets or plan a road trip to go see a car I ask for good digital photographs of everything inside and out, top to bottom, front to rear. I have been around for quite some tine and talked to so may BS artists who think it is OK to lie about everything.

I am presently shopping for a Boxster S, 2005-2007, for my brother-in-law. He knows little about cars, I know a little more than he. I see a Boxster S advertised by a dealership that claims to deal in only pristine, high-end cars, Ferrari, Lambo, etc., and they accepted this 2006 Boxster S in on a trade and it has only 9K miles and is loaded. In talking with them they tell me the car is like it rolled off the factory floor. Photos would appear to support this assertion. I ask about the history of the car and the dealership says one accident, possibly the front bumper cover was replaced or repainted. I ask for a CarFax, which they send me, and it shows 3 accidents, one minor, one moderate and one major. I question them about the 3 accidents and they try to blow it off as parking lot bumps- the major accident indicated airbag deployment.

To bad, they lost me as a potential buyer because they were not honest and thought I was just dumb. I am sure some unknowing buyer will buy the car but when they go to try to sell it.....

Of course the 3 accidents explained, to me, the low mileage. It spent half of its life in the body shop.

So, buyer beware and demand lots of photos before you put your foot out your door.

Oh, still looking for a Boxster S!
carr914
Here's a local one to me that is "Nearly Complete" lol-2.gif av-943.gif

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/1925191500.html

Craiglist is just Crook & Idiot Central.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.