Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some advice/opinions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cstone12
Hi,

I bought this 71 fuel injected 1.7 three years ago rather spontaneously... $2500 lesson learned. I drove it the past 3 summers and loved it until, big surprise, I found some rust. After digging I realize that the car isn't safe for me to be driving around anymore and sadly, it runs very well.

I am a handy guy and with the help of this forum I know I can fix the car if I had time but I have a 1 year old son now and he's just not much help with a welder yet. I'm trying to be realistic here and think I should just cut my loses.

Question is, how should I go about it? I like the idea of parting it out because taking things apart is fun. It would give me a chance to learn more about these cars since I plan to have one again (PPI this time). Plus the car still has some good parts and I would expect it's worth more in pieces than together right now. Problem is, it's hard for me to imagine tearing apart a 914 that can be saved.

I figure if I sell it as a"project" on Craigslist I can expect to get nothing for it.

Of course my 3rd option is to let it sit in my garage and work on it in the little spare time I have in hopes of getting it back on the road someday. I have a feeling that someday may never come.

Here's some pics, let me know what you guys think. Keep in mind this car is in Ohio and "rust free" just doesn't exist here. smile.gif

IPB Image

Passenger side hell hole area has been patched, not sure on quality of work though.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks!

bandjoey
That's a major restore. How bout finding a roller with a good body and doing a parts swap. Do a BBQ and Beer weekend and get some helpers...You'll get it done quick and be happy.
Andyrew
That paint looks pretty good, If its a cheap paint job though, a new body might be worth it.

Its either that, or strip it and get it on a rotisserie and start the year long project that is the repair.

However going through the pics again, This is only the stuff you have seen... It really does look bad... Those body panels are perfect, I agree finding a solid chassis and swapping everything over really looks like your best option.
Dr Evil
Swap. You can get a body from Cali wink.gif

Or.....how big is your budget? poke.gif
rick 918-S
Get a roller and transfe the parts.
dlee6204
blink.gif You were driving that thing? Yikes. barf.gif
orange914
good drivetrain, 5 bolt conversion

get a solid roller a swap over

cstone12
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Aug 29 2010, 08:29 PM) *

blink.gif You were driving that thing? Yikes. barf.gif

Scary, I know.

Getting a solid roller sounds interesting, my wife shouldn't have a problem parking her car outside while I do the transfer. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the feedback guys.
underthetire
I agree with finding a tub. We cut up much better here and dispose of them. Don't feel bad about the 2500, those rims and 5 lug make up 1500+ in parts alone.
Dr Evil
I am close enough to help with a swap. We could do it in one long weekend smile.gif
cstone12
QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 29 2010, 09:18 PM) *

I agree with finding a tub. We cut up much better here and dispose of them. Don't feel bad about the 2500, those rims and 5 lug make up 1500+ in parts alone.

Thanks underthetire, I'll sleep a little better tonight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.